Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who wears a helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
Helmets being inconvient is a pretty lame excuse. It is no more inconvenient than anything else and far more important than almost everything else.

maggi, you don't need a bag to put in. Get one with ventalation and you won't even notice it on the chairs and in gondolas you can take it off and put it in your lap.

But to be honest I don't know why I'm bothering to get pissed off by everyone who thinks they are above crashing or being crashed into as it is them that will end up with concussion and missing skiing time and not me.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i tend to wear helmet to keep my head warm and avoid hearing people shouting abuse in my direction. Even if i do hear the abuse i can more easily pretend i thought it was directed towrds someone else!! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
slikedges,
Quote:
The absolute risk of serious head injury may be small, but what about the risk of minor or moderate head injuries? I don't want those either and the discomfort/inconvenience of wearing a helmet is just about zero.

This is pretty much my position. But what really gets up *my* nose, is when some helmet users overstate the level of protection and look down on other who either don't wear one, or who have a lower expectation of the level of protection.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
slikedges,
Quote:
The quote above from a Dr Langran is typical stuff.

Do you agree in principle with what he says?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rambotion, we don't need excuses. We're not kids who've forgotten our homework.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
laundryman, so why do certain anti-helmeteers (not you) insist on embarking on huge research projects to justify NOT wearing a helmet? Are they being extremely thorough in their decision making process, or simply just barking mad? I think I know the answer Wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PJSki, I assume like all researchers trying to make a point, he's stating conclusions from his personal interpretation of the data he's obtained from the confines of the questions he's chosen to frame in his research. What's not to agree? I'm sure he's carefully phrased his statements so they are valid as long as specific conditions are met. And that's only right. Very Happy

If you're asking if I think ski helmets should be made compulsory under law, the answer is absolutely not. I very much believe that in social issues unless there are overriding reasons for the authorities to intervene, people should be allowed to make their own mistakes (as long as these don't directly affect others) so that the rest of us can point and laugh wink wink

If you're asking if I think ski helmets protect against serious or fatal head injury, I'd say by hearsay the evidence seems to be not, though I haven't read it far less examined it myself (because the reasons to wear a helmet are good enough already), but that intuitively they are likely to lessen significantly the severity of a proportion of head injuries which might otherwise have been in themselves more serious or fatal and that the likelihood is that the evidence will eventually bear this out. As any novice researcher will tell you, lack of evidence does not equate to lack of effect. Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
slikedges, well you seem to agree with Dr Langran.

Quote:
The quote above from a Dr Langran is typical stuff. The absolute risk of serious head injury may be small, but what about the risk of minor or moderate head injuries? I don't want those either and the discomfort/inconvenience of wearing a helmet is just about zero.

Quote:
“Helmets may prevent or reduce the severity of many minor or moderate head injuries, but there is no data to support the idea that they will protect against fatal head injuries,”

What confused me was that you seemed to by dismissing what the Doc said, by calling it typical stuff, while at the same time agreeing with him.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PJSki, typical as in the ski helmet stuff I looked at years ago said the same - no evid for protection from serious/fatal. Like I say that's not a reason not to wear or to be totally convinced that there'll be no significant protection in serious/fatal HI but the latter is beside the point not least as absolute risk of occurrence of serious/fatal seems to be low.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 18-01-09 21:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
slikedges, We could ratify your reasoned argument by asking an unlimited supply of Gumbies ...
http://youtube.com/v/gJB2Q9gh2uE ... to run into and headbutt trees at ever increasing speeds. Eventually, there'll be a 50% LD (or however they assess such things with rats and bunny wunnies at Glaxo and Huntingdon Life Sciences etc Toofy Grin ). Then ask another group of Gumbies to do the same thing whilst wearing a helmet and see if the 50% LD really does occur at the same speed. Actually, I think I intuitively know what the answer is whatever the good Dr. Langran says but hope he approves of this methodology and can find a suitable candidate group to carry out the experiment should he ever read the snowHead 's forums.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
moffatross, I'll see if I can one of the cranial screwtop guys to get that thru ethics Toofy Grin Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
uktrailmonster wrote:
laundryman, so why do certain anti-helmeteers (not you) insist on embarking on huge research projects to justify NOT wearing a helmet? Are they being extremely thorough in their decision making process, or simply just barking mad? I think I know the answer Wink

I've no idea. Are you sure there's confirmation bias?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Saturday night had real reason to be thankful of my gay powder blue lid. Tried a few times to do a 50-50 on a metal rail at Tamworth but lost balance and tumbled, glancing my bonce on the rail. It put a ring in my ears but that's all - doubt it would have as painless if I'd not had a helmet on. I'm pretty much sold on them now....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Specialman, my risk assessment would keep me well away from rails in the first place. If I had to have a go, I'd use a helmet - as per Apocalypse Now. snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the pro helmet brigade do seem a bit 'sanctimonious and holier than thou' Laughing
latest report
rayscoops, this is a totally meaningless thread. Wear one...don't wear one... About as relevant in the whole scheme of things as "who wears pants under their salopettes?"
snow report
chrisdavis, is that padded or non-padded pants, it has been suggested that padded 'crash pants' can reduce the risk of injury to the coxic, any one who does not wear padded pants must be mad, it is a no brainer, and they are easy to pack and can fit in hand luggage wink Laughing
ski holidays
rayscoops, padded pants and wristgaurds.. a helmet and always carry spare goggles.. shin pads are handy and knee supports at all times.. back protector and of course a gumshield.. and thats just for the ryan air priority boarding people at the departure gate!!
ski holidays
CANV CANVINGTON, or pay easyjet speedy boarding and avoid the need for such protection
snow conditions
rayscoops wrote:
chrisdavis, is that padded or non-padded pants, it has been suggested that padded 'crash pants' can reduce the risk of injury to the coxic, any one who does not wear padded pants must be mad, it is a no brainer, and they are easy to pack and can fit in hand luggage wink Laughing

I meant underpants - y-fronts, g string, shreddies, calvin kleins, undercrackers, boxers.............

I'm a CK man myself, although I respect the right of the individual to sort out their own kit (or not, as the case may be wink ). I have no trouble transporting them........suitcase, boot bag, in a carrier bag in with the skis, hand luggage........ and I also wear a pair when passing through the airport, just in case a search ensues......

Lets move on to something more interesting . . . rolling eyes
ski holidays
chrisdavis, surely everyone wears them (y-fronts, g string, shreddies, calvin kleins, undercrackers, boxers............. ) I would feel quite vulnerable going commando on the slopes, not to mention the safety aspect of not having crash pants or hygiene issues- have you seen that unfortunate chap hanging from a chair lift with his @rse hanging out - most embarrassing Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
I wear a helmet because (inter alia) I'm scared of collisions, but here's an unusual reason to wear one, that I've just gleaned off the Ski Club forum:
Quote:
I got back from skiing in the 3 Valleys yesterday. On the last day of the trip whilst skiing down from the top of Meribel, a para-skiier crashed onto my head skis first. I had to be taken off the mountain in the blood wagon and I'm now in a neck brace. If I wasn't wearing my lid, I'd either not be here or at least in a very bad way with a hole in my skull! It's always personal choice, and you may a perfectly capable skiier/boarder, but you never know what other people may do to you!

Shocked
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
I wear a helmet because (inter alia) I'm scared of collisions

Some nutter in an old helmet thread was trying to tell me that collisions are extremely unlikely to occur
ski holidays
Hurtle,
Quote:
I wear a helmet because (inter alia) I'm scared of collisions

How much less scared are you as a result of wearing a lid?
snow report
if you ski fast and badly, take risks, fall a lot and have no piste awarness get a lid, otherwise you do not need one unless you are doing tricks wink
latest report
PJSki, rayscoops, I have absolutely no interest in discussing why I wear a helmet, that was not the main point of my post. Until now, however, I have never been scared - whether wearing a helmet or not - of a paraglider landing on top of me.
snow conditions
Hurtle
Quote:
I have absolutely no interest in discussing why I wear a helmet

Well the thread is entitled 'Who Wears a Helmet?', so you've answered the question.
snow conditions
PJSki, jolly good, that's all right then.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
I wear a helmet because (inter alia) I'm scared of collisions,

Hurtle wrote:
I have absolutely no interest in discussing why I wear a helmet

Make your mind up sweetheart wink Laughing
ski holidays
rayscoops, my mind is entirely made up, thanks. I made a statement (merely a passing one, as it happens) but I am not entering into a discussion. My name is Hurtle, by the way, in case you'd forgotten.
snow conditions
Hurtle, i think you are in denial Very Happy
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
if you ski fast and badly, take risks, fall a lot and have no piste awarness get a lid, otherwise you do not need one unless you are doing tricks wink

but you might want one, even if you don't really need it. I prefer them to hats anyway
snow report
Just to add my two penneth to this thread .... LOL
After taking a bad tumble at dry slope yesterday without my helmet on and ending up spending the night in hospital with concussion, being woken up every hour on the hour by kindly doctors and nurses doing their observations, I will definately be wearing my helmet each time I venture out from now on ...
Thank god it happened now and not in two weeks time in resort when I would have ended up missing a few days skiing

Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
Hi,
Last year I had a really nasty fall,straight onto my head, after doing some impressive sumersault moves !(unintentional ones Laughing )
I can't really say what happened as have complete memory loss of the hour before my accident, but what I can tell you is that it totally screwed my holiday (and the next 9 months)as spent 3 days in a Bulgarian hospital rolling eyes .It was the worst experience I've ever had.

The complications from my accident were a lot more far reaching than I could ever have imagined,and it resulted in me being off work for 4 months with post concussion syndrome.
When I did resume work it was in another department as due to my short term memory defecit I was deemed a security risk.
I actually went back to my usual work role in Dec 08. 9 months after my accident.

I know for sure that if I had been wearing a helmet then I wouldn't have gone through all that I have over the last 9 months.

So got a nice shiny hemet now......only problem is I'm too scared to get back out there and give it another go.My family are all taking off to Aviemore for a sneaky mid-week break on Feb 4th and I'm too scared to go Crying or Very sad
latest report
Hi I wear a helmet again after a few years of not doing.
I'm glad i have started to wear one again as last week i was skiing in Sestriere and had a crash and bounce on my head. I still got a head ache but after when i looked at the helmet you can see where my ski had hit my helmet. The helmet is probably not safe to use anymore but my head is.
snow conditions
I intend to buy one (or guilt my mother into getting me one) for next season. Im starting to ski a bit above my ability and rocks hurt!
snow report
I haven't read through the relies to this threas, but in answer to the original question, after being stranded at the top of a mountain with an unconscious fiance (who had stopped breathing momentarily) after a random fall and who took months and months to recover, I would not contemplate getting on skis now without a helmet. Medics agreed that his injury was avoidable (or would have been far lesser) with a good fitting helmet

Prior to this, I wouldn't have entertained the idea but I wouldn't wish the above on my worst enemy
snow report
I haven't read through the relies to this threas, but in answer to the original question, after being stranded at the top of a mountain with an unconscious fiance (who had stopped breathing momentarily) after a random fall and who took months and months to recover, I would not contemplate getting on skis now without a helmet. Medics agreed that his injury was avoidable (or would have been far lesser) with a good fitting helmet

Prior to this, I wouldn't have entertained the idea but I wouldn't wish the above on my worst enemy
snow report
I keep saying this over and over:

Depends if yer got any brains to spill, if got brains nuff to wear helmet, then yer got brains to spill....
latest report
innerspaceservices wrote:
I keep saying this over and over

Alzheimer's?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy