Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who wears a helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
allanm wrote:
Why is it then that most boarders wear lids and most skiers don't.

Is that the case? I don't get that impression when skiing around some of the big French resorts. I'd say not that much difference in helmet wearing between the two groups. Never seen a telemarker with a helmet though..
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, My experience is very limited, and only at Les Arcs / La Plagne, but IMHO that absolutely that is the case - most boarders wear lids and most skiers don't [wear a lid].
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chrisdavis, my last trip a few weeks ago helmets were banned at Grenoble and Bristol with Easyjet in hand luggage, and I try to limit my 'hold' luggage to my board bag and fill my hand luggage with clothes, thus saving the charge for checking a general bag in to the hold, a lid simply does not fit in with how I travel

allanm, i think boarders that do tricks and spend time in the park wear lids for the most part, i do neither and last season decided to dispense with it for the reasons above
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
allanm wrote:
rob@rar, My experience is very limited, and only at Les Arcs / La Plagne, but IMHO that absolutely that is the case - most boarders wear lids and most skiers don't [wear a lid].

I'll pay a bit more attention to it in the future. Have to confess to looking more at the bottom half of what skiers and boarders do, rather than the top half, so you're probably right.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, Very Happy Very Happy I notice it just because I know/think I'm in a minority, I notice (often) that I'm the only skier on a lift that has a lid. Having said that, looking through the pics I've taken this year so far, I could eat my words, many of the skiers actually are are wearing lids. Looking a http://www.19x.co.uk/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5045 , an arbitary pic, probably 3:1, but a fair percentage anyway.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rayscoops wrote:
moffatross, you can ski without a helmet, you can not without boots Little Angel

each to their own Very Happy

Thank you! Helmet wearing seems to be the new religion round here. They'll soon be knocking on our doors, selling us crap magazines and telling us it is the only way to be "saved" rolling eyes .
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
maggi, you're obviously feeling more passionate about not putting a lump of plastic on your head than I do about doing so. Don't feel pressured. Little Angel Toofy Grin

rayscoops, of course you can ski without boots. That's 'old school' remember'. Wink Laughing

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 9-01-09 1:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
allanm wrote:

no noticeable difference between 2 populations in North America - as has already been pointed out in this thread, helmet wearing is roughly between 50-70% depending on where you go.

We're so much more advanced over here Smile

Amusingly, with stupid baggage restrictions on planes, some of my buddies are planning to hand carry, and if necessary wear their helmets as they get on the plane. Could be highly amusing ...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bought a lid from Lidl last year for about 8 quid - couldn't not pick it up at that price! Keeps you nice and warm and saved me from a nasty head when a guy skied into me at New Year! Was I glad I had it on! Does anyone know when Lidl have their ski sale on?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
waterwitch, A few weeks ago.

I got one in their last ski sale.

They'll probably have another one before the end of the season.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Still plenty of ski helmets (and clothing/gloves) available in our local Lidls.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RobW, thanks, I'll check mine this afternoon - I need new gloves.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A perspective from a new helmet wearer.

I've hit my head about ten times in 2 days off chairlift bars.

It's not a matter of "Boy my head would have been sore if I hadn't been wearing my helmet" but more a case of the helmet adding over an inch all round to the size of my head.

I'll keep wearing it, though, and eventually I'll get used to how big it is.

CW Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
allanm, boarders wear helmets because it is very common to bash your head on the ground when you fall off a snowboard - I've done this quite often over the past two seasons. On the other hand, I have never come close to dinging my head in 30 years of skiing. Hence I always wear a helmet while boarding but not often on skis.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

What I can't suss out is for example, why some of the people who I ride singletrack downhill mountain bikes with, who wouldn't dream of riding without a helmet for fear of whacking their unprotected heads on trees or rocks, don't wear head protection when they ski or board Puzzled

This has long confused me also, especially with tree skiers. If you turn up at our local downhill spot with a pisspot style helmet rather than a fullface then it is frowned upon and I have never seen anybody without one entirely as you would get riddiculed and laughed out of the woods. Then to see someone in a video caning it through some trees with drops in nothing but a pair of goggles and soft hat is riddiculous, you are so likely to hit your head and at that speed it is going to be serious. To see people in videos not wearing helmets is odd to as in DH although you might get the odd loon who doesn't bother with a helmet, to make a video with someone without a helmet would invoke so much critiscm that you would be unlikely to ever sell another video.

Another place I ride at cleary states that if you are not wearing a fullface helmet you will be chucked off the course. I think this start of etiquette should become standard on the slopes as well. They're just like seatbelts, you don't need one for 20 years and then they save your life.
latest report
rambotion wrote:
... I think this start of etiquette should become standard on the slopes as well. They're just like seatbelts, you don't need one for 20 years and then they save your life.

That is one we haven't discussed before. Should the wearing of seat-belts be made compulsory on the piste?
ski holidays
Lizzard, exactly: you weigh your risk for whatever type of stuff you're going to be doing and take a decision accordingly. Alternatively, you can wear a helmet at all times. Presumably, this makes people feel safe when spouting sanctimonious drivel to anyone in earshot.
snow conditions
I always wear a helmet for skiing, but not primarily for safety. I find helmets warmer than hats and they help to avoid goggle fogging. I haven't found any disadvantage to wearing a helmet yet, although I don't ski in warmer climates. If I found ski helmets particularly uncomfortable or compromising, then I probably wouldn't wear one most of the time.
snow report
" ... this makes people feel safe when spouting sanctimonious drivel to anyone in earshot."

laundryman, Ooh it's just awful isn't it ... almost like a kind of helmet wearer's Tourettes syndrome. wink Loads of us lidheads hooning around the slopes shouting out orders to you nice folks to use a condom, stop your filthy smoking habits, cut your untidy hair and wash your filthy hands. I don't know how you 'old school' types can stand us all. Laughing
ski holidays
moffatross, I have had it in person, repeatedly, from a total bore who regularly turns up skiing at the same time/place as me. He seems to think it his duty to nanny the instruction group we're inevitably paired in. It does make me a tad emotional! Very Happy

He is a well-meaning guy, but I'm surprised he can get his head so far up his own arse with a helmet on. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
laundryman, In reverse, you sometimes get non-helmet wearers guffing on about what a waste of time helmets are
latest report
uktrailmonster, I've seen/heard less of that.
snow conditions
I have returned today from the Milky Way. One of the guests in hte hotel was forced off the piste at speed, resulting in a head on collision with a tree. He is still unconcious in Turin with an unknown prognosis.

I will be buying a helmet.
latest report
Mister T,
Quote:
I will be buying a helmet.

Which is unlikely to protect you from a collision like the one you mention.
ski holidays
PJSki, as you are a slaphead - presumably you have to protect your head against the sun, so what do you wear?
snow report
PJSki, you can't know that. It may have helped reduce the severity of the injury, it may not.
ski holidays
Got a full head of hair, me. Always been proud of my hair. But I do wear a helmet. I doubt if it would protect me from a head on with a tree at speed, though.

How much protection do you think a helmet will give you in such an event?
ski holidays
slikedges wrote:
PJSki, you can't know that. It may have helped reduce the severity of the injury, it may not.

Everything I've read, or been told, regarding this suggests a helmet is unlikely to help you in those circumstances.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here's an interesting video that helps to illustrate the forces involved: http://uk.youtube.com/v/crgRiqdD-lM&feature=related

Ok, it's a pole, not a tree. But even though the driver has side impact protection, the forces transmitted to him at 18mph are obvious. So consider a skier hitting a tree at over 20mph. The helmet will dissipate some of the energy, but not enough to significantly reduce injury, in my opinion.

Now the helmet maker must have done these tests. So I wonder where the videos are? rolling eyes

BTW, Ray, I think Simon and Garfunkel said it really well in their lyrical masterpiece El Condor Pasa, when they sang:

I'd rather be a slaphead than a ginger

wink

Looking at your picture, I see you're going to experience both. NehNeh
snow report
PJSki, do you have a video of this particular accident? What were the vector forces at impact and what was the relative angle of impact?
snow report
slikedges, I've only got what Mike T says to go on, i.e a head on collision with a tree at speed. Where do you think the helmet manufacturers are keeping their crash test videos?
latest report
Here's another good video: http://uk.youtube.com/v/kojxSF7nxuM

An excellent example of a glancing blow. Now, he would probably have walked away from that if he hadn't been wearing a lid, but he'd have hurt himself more. This is were helmet are very good. But I really think people overestimate how much protection they give you.
latest report
Well you all may soon have to wear one the way things are going, not sure if this has been posted yet !!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/article5531234.ece
A new law requiring all children under 14 to wear helmets on the slopes has been rushed into resorts in Austria following the death of a mother in a high-speed collision on the piste. Beata Christandl died of head injuries after a collision with a German politician, Dieter Althaus, at a combined speed of 60mph. Althaus, who was wearing a helmet, survived the impact, but suffered a skull fracture and remains in a coma.
ski holidays
rayscoops, good find.

This is interesting:
Quote:
Yet Dr Mike Langran, of the International Society for Skiing Safety, warns that wearing head protection won’t necessarily save a skier’s life. “Helmets may prevent or reduce the severity of many minor or moderate head injuries, but there is no data to support the idea that they will protect against fatal head injuries,” he said. “The absolute risk of a serious head injury is extremely small, and in my opinion — and that of most ski-injury experts — does not warrant making the wearing of ski helmets mandatory.
snow report
laundryman wrote:
uktrailmonster, I've seen/heard less of that.

Maybe, but plenty of them spouting off on "helmet" threads here
ski holidays
uktrailmonster, maybe I've missed it, but people who don't wear helmets don't seem to criticise those who do (at least not for wearing a helmet in itself). However, there are a few who do wear helmets (not including you) who imply that those who don't are borderline insane. I read all the helmet threads as they happen and that's my impression, but I'm not going to conduct an analysis to prove it! snowHead
ski holidays
laundryman, I've noted people saying stuff like this too.
ski holidays
laundryman, the more vocal ones tend to be extremely smug and like to advocate that helmet wearers are mugs, taken in by marketing and fashion trends. Rather than ordinary folk who just want to avoid a bump on the head Wink
latest report
I certainly don't care if any individual chooses to wear a ski or motorcycle helmet or not. I do care if people imply that ski helmet wearers do so without good reason. I read a lot of literature. I haven't bothered to look at ski helmet literature for a long while and am very unlikely to bother - imo there's no argument. The quote above from a Dr Langran is typical stuff. The absolute risk of serious head injury may be small, but what about the risk of minor or moderate head injuries? I don't want those either and the discomfort/inconvenience of wearing a helmet is just about zero. Come to that, is there data to support the idea that motorcycle helmets protect against fatal head injuries (not just minor and moderate ones) ? After all in motorcycle head injuries, speeds are probably higher and objects collided with certainly usually harder, though motorcycle helmets are much stronger.
snow report
slikedges wrote:
I do care if people imply that ski helmet wearers do so without good reason

Exactly, this type of anti-helmet preacher gets up my nose too
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy