Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

options; rent or buy second hand, but what to look for?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Puzzled I am skiing on a budget in march. I like to ski the reds and tackle the odd bit of black so long as its not to narrow. eek memories of last year stuck between two cliffs unable to turn quickly enough!!!! I have not intentionally been off piste yet.

I am approx 160cms 5'3" tall weigh 48 kilo 7st 5lb, boot size 24.5 UK 5 1/2

My dilemma; Do I rent skis again or is it worth looking for a second hand pair. New is out of the question. unless I skip skiing for a year, seems pointless. I am flying BA so I dont think I have to pay extra to take skis.

In the past I have borrowed out grown teenagers skis and latterly rented, last year I was on carvers and I cant remember exactly but I think they were 155s.

I have no idea what carvers or any other for that matter, are. What are the advantages or not.

Can anyone exlain the basics?

I like to ski as fast as i feel in control of and hate hitting the tiniest bit of crunchy snow and not being able to get an edge. Does being lightweight affect this or is it just technique? snowHead

Pleeeaaase Help!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
(Post prefaced by noting that I'm no expert on all this.... but as nobody more expert has yet replied.....)

I'd suggest you rent skis again. Most modern skis are "carvers" in that they are shaped (as opposed to the old long straight ones) but some are much carvier than others.

Not sure what you mean by "crunchy" snow. If it's genuine ice, don't edge, keep skis flat and slide across till you find something more friendly. If it's just hard you need good sharp edges and - obviously - good technique. Best learnt by taking a few lessons - which could be tailored to the conditions, and what you want to do (as could the skis you hire, which you could change during the week).

If going on a real tight budget my own approach might be to try to borrow a pair from a friend - but you are certainly very light. Depending on the skis you might do better on something a bit shorter.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
youngeratheart, How many weeks ski-ing in total? That might give more accurate ski level.
I'm very much in agreement with pamw. Most modern piste skis should now be considered as carvers, it was only years ago that almost straight planks existed. Why not use the main ski shop sites, they usually have guides that will point you at the type of ski you are after? If you do decide to buy second hand, then i'd stick to piste skis avoid speciality skis until you really understand how\what you intend to ski. Why not start planning for next year, and with another trip under your belt, buy a set then?
You can get 2nd hand bargains but they do need to suit your level. Ask advice in resort, from the instructor if you are taking lessons. I once saw a guy come to lessons, and he'd purchased skis off the internet. They were off-piste, very wide beasts and he could 'talk the talk'. He'd also over estimated his ski level massively. We discovered he only had 2 prior weeks ski-ing. After 2 hours of problems, the instructor (not so diplomatically) told him to change them and he also went into 2 groups lower. The point here being, be realistic in your abilities.

When I started ski-ing over 30 years ago i was stuck in the 'cannot afford to buy' trap. After 3 years hiring, I eventually had to skip a year and bought skis and boots. They lasted 4 seasons\ weeks and it was only because I got a real bargain that i replaced them.
If budget is a real issue then i suggest that hiring is your best option at least for this season.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
options; rent or buy second hand, but what to look for?

Boots.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep. start with well fited boots..hiring skis is a pain ( not as much as boots tho, IMV ) and the exchange rate will make its mark but get boots first then consider skis.
Nothing wrong with second hand....IF.. you get a decent pair..and for that, you need to know what to look for...

Do you have good boots..?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex, JT,

Your right I bought boots last year Salomon Flex 100jr, course 100, That sounds technical, not really I copied it off the boot. I bought them for 25 quid last year and skiied in sweden. Love them, very comfortable. I dont know if they were previously thermal fitted but it didn't matter in this case. The only slight problem was that there are alot of long draglifts in Duved and the balls of my feet went numbish, since this was fine as soon as I got skiing it didnt worry me.

I have about 5 weeks experience, In the first week I did ski school with Evolution 2 (absolutly fantastic) after 2 days the group of 5 was down to 2, So fast progress specially since the holiday group I was with were all very competant and dragged me all round Tigne and Val D'isere on day three, lots of red runs and a huge mogle field called the solais bumps!!!!! Also skiied dry slope in southampton quite alot (much prefer snow).

My brother has helped me improve since then and I am well aware that there is much work to do on my technique. I am a bit too brave sometimes but far from reckless.

I think I learned on straight planks they were ok if my memory serves me well. We were only tought snow plough for stopping and turns were step turns then parallel. Seemed like fast track learning but I liked it.

Please pardon any spelling errors!

pam w, Thank for reply and just to say read the sticky on Kit for the tight fisted, yep by nessesity, thats me. Very Happy

Thankou all keep it coming......
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
youngeratheart, there are often skis for sale on Snowheads - and you could then check out a range of opinions. be safer than trying to buy on ebay or similar, where there's a lot of dross as well as some good buys. It would be interesting to know what others think about length. It depends a bit on how stiff the ski is - in some skis I would have thought 150cms would be enough for your light weight.

If you've only had one week of tuition I would say that would be a top priority for your March budget. Where are you going?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w,

I am going to Les Gets as recommended on another forum i think you also know. Yes I am one of the mad brits going catered chalet. at the Novelin. I took your advice on dates though so mid march it is to avoid all the school hols. Its a really cosy little chalet only sleeps 8-11.

I too would like to borrow. Do you think if I offer a sevice after thats reasonable? I'm thinking not someones precious but maybe there out grown or old ones. Perhaps I'll post a 'wanted'. Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
youngeratheart, how if we talked about ski -criteria- rather than specific models?

For you, for example, I would consider something that fit the criteria:

- 15-18m turn radius (this will be a longer published radius than a lot of skis in the lengths below)
- no wider than 72mm waist
- junior race flex or intermediate adult womens flex
- between 150 and 158 cm
- favoring vibration damping instead of light weight
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
comprex,

Now your talking. I think I get all but the last criteria, n' comprend pas! well it may as well be anouther language!
can you explain in ley terms.

What exactly determines the length? You give quite a a range 150-158 Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
youngeratheart wrote:

Now your talking. I think I get all but the last criteria, n' comprend pas! well it may as well be anouther language!
can you explain in ley terms.

You do not want a ski that is lightweight but gets tossed around, and you do not have a supremely accurately fitted boot so your muscles can stop the tossing at the speeds you say you enjoy.

Better to have a ski that absorbs some of that energy within itself.

Quote:

What exactly determines the length? You give quite a a range 150-158 Very Happy

The manufacturers' moulds? Smile I meant that whatever you find in that range that fits the other criteria ought to suit, imo.

youngeratheart wrote:

I like to ski as fast as i feel in control of and hate hitting the tiniest bit of crunchy snow and not being able to get an edge. Does being lightweight affect this or is it just technique? snowHead

- Boot fit
- Technique
- Being too light for the ski
- Being too heavy for the ski usually feels like you can't -hold- an edge instead of can't -get- one
- Ski sharpness

In that order, again imo.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex,

Aah its becoming clear.

Thankyou, can I contact you if I find some that are close to the criteria. Any advice on haw to determine if a ski is knackered? My brother said if you press the skis together face to face the contact points at either end should not change. Does that make sense? I think I unserstood what he meant. And obviosly no chunks out of the edges.

I dont mind if they are old as long as they are in good nick.

Thankyou for your patience snowHead

Ps what does imo mean?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
youngeratheart wrote:

Ps what does imo mean?

"in my opinion", i.e. it's free advice over the Internet so you get what you pay for Shocked wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
youngeratheart,

comprex has given you enough to go on...

Maybe find a ski that you like the look/sound of, get model details and lenght and list the bindings if mounted and then post back here to see if this is the type of ski you should consider.....possibly.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
comprex, JT,

You guys are brilliant. Does it feel good? being a Guru. I think I'm getting hooked on this forum stuff. Poor you, I've got 10 weeks to find them!!!!!!!!!!!

Really thankyou. Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy