Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nobody carves in Val D'Isere

Poster: A snowHead
Hurtle wrote:
rob@rar,
Quote:

very few do a pure carve from start to finish. It's quite a high order skill, and the speed dramtically increases, even on the most gentle of slopes.

Thank you for that extremely useful piece of information. I shall now abandon my quest for the pure carved turn - the last thing I want to do, most of the time, is ski any more quickly! Shocked

On this basis I'd suggest you never work on "pumping" the turn in an arc-2-arc carved turn then... Twisted Evil

Btw - the speed becomes less scary when the control factor improves - take it from the super chicken! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Carving isn't the be all and end all. Carving has its time and its place as does rotation and also pressure. Each is a great tool to have and use in your tool box. There are no rules just use which you find appropriate at each given time.
I meet instructors that teach nothing but carving and then others that teach all methods. Its was only last week that i had an argument with another instructor over pole planting. He felt there was no need for it and i argued for half an hour that there was.
Enough said.
Every single tool has a use.
Use them and enjoy your skiing more.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
little tiger,
Quote:

the speed becomes less scary when the control factor improves - take it from the super chicken!

Toofy Grin
That does make sense, actually. How ya doing? Feeling a bit better?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes thanks Hurtle... not great today - but we had visitors yesterday and I overdid it a bit... but generally better over the week than I was a couple of weeks ago...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
woody911 wrote:
Carving isn't the be all and end all. Carving has its time and its place as does rotation and also pressure.
I agree, it's no more and no less important than others ways of steering your skis. It shouldn't be seen as the pinnacle of skiing, nor should it be dismissed as a irrelevant to most skiers' needs.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's not the be all and end all, but generally if a skier can carve a turn then you can assume that they're pretty confident at most other technical skills.

Carving slowly, now that's really difficult to do. Gets me falling over on green runs even now.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What I also find interesting is to see which people pontificate about carving in the bar, or especially online here, and then whether they can actually do it in real life. One of our more prolific ex-posters gained quite a reputation for being able to talk a good carve. rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah! Although I wasn't really thinking about what I was doing, or why, I did find things worked much better in powder if I did a sort of wiggle, a bit like the "ankle rolling" exercise we did in LDA (thanks, easiski!) and which I now practise when on those otherwise rather boring gentle tracks.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar wrote:
woody911 wrote:
Carving isn't the be all and end all. Carving has its time and its place as does rotation and also pressure.
I agree, it's no more and no less important than others ways of steering your skis. It shouldn't be seen as the pinnacle of skiing, nor should it be dismissed as a irrelevant to most skiers' needs.

I'm not sure. Most skiers I know who can carve will choose it above almost any other method of turning when conditions are suitable. Yourself included - I've never seen you skid a turn when you could carve one when we've been freeskiing together.

Most of my friends who are just learning to carve find it exhilirating when it 'clicks' for a turn or two, and to be honest, of the three ways of turning a ski, it is by far the most efficient and least tiring to do so.

The be all and end all of turns is when you can carve switch in variable off piste conditions.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kramer wrote:
I'm not sure. Most skiers I know who can carve will choose it above almost any other method of turning when conditions are suitable. Yourself included - I've never seen you skid a turn when you could carve one when we've been freeskiing together.
I think there's a bit of rotation being blended in there to help steer the turn a lot of the time, but you're right to say that
Kramer wrote:
of the three ways of turning a ski, it is by far the most efficient and least tiring to do so.
especially if you just "park and ride" the edges. Much less tiring that steering in other ways, so I'll do that in preference to other ways of getting around the pistes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
little tiger, good, hope the improvement continues apace.

Kramer,
Quote:

Carving slowly, now that's really difficult to do

Could be my problem, or one of them. I tend to be very slow while I'm thinking! Embarassed

pam w,
Quote:

"ankle rolling" exercise
I do this sometimes while doing static squats on the Power Plate machine. No doubt the other gym users think I'm bonkers.

Kramer,
Quote:

carve switch in variable off piste conditions
Erm, not today thank you. Toofy Grin
snow report
 monster77
monster77
From reading some of these posts, some people are mistaking railing for carving. Just putting the skis on an edge and using the skis shape to make the turn is railing. Carving is putting the ski on an edge but altering the amount of edge and pressure to tighten or increase the turn radius.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
monster77, "railing", "carving", "park 'n ride" are all pretty unhelpful terms IMO. Much better to talk about steering the skis by controlling edge angle. Sometimes you don't need to manage the turn shape by varying the edge angle, especially if you're just cruising around, so just standing on your skis at a fairly gentle edge angle is a perfectly good thing to do. But how many people ski the majority of their time just using edge control to ski around the place? I'd say hardly any? There's almost always a blend of other things going on as well.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
monster77 wrote:
From reading some of these posts, some people are mistaking railing for carving. Just putting the skis on an edge and using the skis shape to make the turn is railing. Carving is putting the ski on an edge but altering the amount of edge and pressure to tighten or increase the turn radius.

I'm probably being stupid here, but I don't think that there's much of a difference between the two things that you describe. Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kramer wrote:
I'm probably being stupid here, but I don't think that there's much of a difference between the two things that you describe. Puzzled

I don't think there's a huge difference - just increasing or decreasing the turn radius (during the turn) by increasing or decreasing the edge angle. That kind of happens in all carved turns as by definition your edge your skis from flat to whatever the maximum edge angle is for that turn, so I think it's just a question of having a bit more control of your turn shape by varying the edge angle.
snow conditions
i think railing is just entry level pure carving
snow report
I think anyone can learn the virtues of carving by watching this. http://uk.youtube.com/v/TTboYL8CjaU As always it looks so easy when done well. And that is what I call controlled skiing.
ski holidays
clive5, I love watching those clips. Poetry in motion.
snow report
clive5, quality vid. Makes it look achieveable with a lot of practice.
latest report
Funnily enough, I didn't think that they had quite as much style as some instructors I've seen. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 monster77
monster77
Kramer wrote:
monster77 wrote:

Anybody can rail a ski IE stick it on an edge and let it ride round the turn shape without putting any effort in, but to carve a proper turn you need to put in some effort, edge angle and pressure control.
latest report
monster77 wrote:
Anybody can rail a ski

I'm not sure they can, certainly not linking turns.
snow report
I sure can't Sad
snow report
Kramer, I'm sure there are instructors across the Alps that think they can ski as good as the people in that clip. But do you think they can?
ski holidays
What's that first guy doing with his hands? Pity their skis aren't parallel I guess Puzzled
snow report
Yoda, looks like a training exercise to me, sort of like a recovery drill for when he drops behind his skis.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
monster77 wrote:
Anybody can rail a ski IE stick it on an edge and let it ride round the turn shape without putting any effort in, but to carve a proper turn you need to put in some effort, edge angle and pressure control.

I'm not sure that anyone can.

Also to get a ski on edge, and to stay on that edge without it slipping takes edge angle and pressure control. I admit it's easier to "park and ride" than to put effort into carving, but if you watch someone who is parking and riding, although it looks effortless, generally they have good stance over the skis, good posture, and excellent weight distribution.

As always, making something look easy, doesn't mean that it is easy.
latest report
It's called getting the hands in to the correct position weight forward over the skis or pole plants
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, now that you mention it I think I've seen folk doing drills with odd hand movements - although I had the impression in that case it was more of a "brain train" - i.e. can you do something complicated with your hands without disrupting your skiing.
latest report
clive5, are you referring to the first skier in the clip?
snow report
Yoda, the first time that clip was referenced here someone (IIRC Fastman) commented that that was a bit of a Cuche idiosyncracy, and one reason he didn't tend to use him as a model. I've also seen that in a number of junior racers - it partly a way of clearing gates (although it's considered better form in slalom to have the body angulation/inclination such than the gate hits your hand in its normal position), but also a way of generating a little bit of extra speed with the momentum changes involved in swinging the arms (the most extreme examples I've seen have been in kids who are quite small for their age).
ski holidays
Yoda wrote:
rob@rar, now that you mention it I think I've seen folk doing drills with odd hand movements - although I had the impression in that case it was more of a "brain train" - i.e. can you do something complicated with your hands without disrupting your skiing.

Might be. I've done odd stuff (passing a baton around my body, hopping over poles and the like) which is designed to do exactly that: test your balance by disturbing things in your skiing. I suspect that in Cuche's case he's probably spot on with his balance so the odd hands movements was to do with something else.
latest report
GrahamN, ah I see. You've reminded me of a "old school" skier I saw once (in Val D'Isere funnily enough) who looked as though he was playing table tennis at each turn - arm across the body and swinging out as if to knock an imaginary pole out of the way. Quite disruptive I should think, and for lesser skiers than Cuche likely to push them into the back seat as the hands come up Puzzled
snow report
Yoda, If you watch all the Skiers do it to a greater or lesser degree. And it's all about being forward and in control.
snow conditions
clive5, well I agree that they all have their hands nicely forward, but I don't see that Cuche's "high five" technique assists with either that or pole-planting. Never mind, it's just me Cool
snow report
Look back at your tracks: if you can see a clear line in the snow for each ski edge on the turns then it was a pure carve - if the marks are smeared through the turn it wasn't.
Edit: I didn't see there was a page 2. A bit irrelevant now perhaps.
snow report
The vid posted by clive5, above we've seen here before. I've just re-watched it having read the odd comments above re: pole planting - it just occurred that although the skiers in the video all carry their poles, none of them actually appear to be 'pole planting' as such - rather the pole seems to used as an aid to balance and possibly speed control. Whilst I suspect they are carrying their poles rather more effectively and tidily than I do they appear to make no more use of them than I do of mine - I think I shall stop worrying about pole planting just yet Laughing
snow report
Megamum, I'm sure the vid has been seen before on here. The point is they are all going through the motion of pole planting even if they don't do it. There hands are in the correct position at the correct time. If you watch them at full speed they all pole plant. when I ski a blue run I hardly ever do a full pole plant it's a token effort. Put me on a steep icy black and I suddenly start to pole plant.
latest report
Personally I think the double pole plant is ugly, fine for racing through gates but OTT for recreational skiing.

I'd rather ski like this http://uk.youtube.com/v/67NUC0q9154
latest report
If I were to make any criticisms I'd say the guy in Rich's clip has his feet too close together and his boots are almost striking each other in the middle of the turn. Compare say with Mario Matt (I think) at 11 seconds in in this clip:
http://youtube.com/v/TpWacr7d27U&NR=1 or this guy here:
http://youtube.com/v/gaIdPK0HERE&feature=related . I'd also like to see more angulation like Ted Ligety here:
http://youtube.com/v/yW4r27teE9E&feature=related .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy