Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How Many Snowboarders to Ride a T-Bar??

Poster: A snowHead
Is the answer always one? Do the laws of physics (or nature) mean that 2 is impossible?

Just back from a great weekend at small Swiss areas with slow lifts. It being the busiest week of the year there were lift queues - which were exacerbated by every other lift being half full - ie with single snowboarders. Ten minute waits at a bone numbing -10 or -12C left me pondering the very meaning of life - as well as the question above.

I'm just wondering that's all....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I guess that if there were two boarders of opposite persuasion (regular and goofy) and matching heights and weights then they could possibly ride together, but I have never seen it.

I do have to take issue with 'bone numbing -10 or -12C' though, that is a really nice temperature here Wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Two snowboarders, of whatever persuasion, is perfectly possible. Anyone who says it isn't is a numpty.

Actually makes it less uncomfortable as it reduces the twisting effect.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
seen 2 very often. what I really hate is being a single on a T-bar when a boarder tries to hitch a ride when you are on the move Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have also seen 2 plenty of times, but its fun to watch one fall off Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mountainaddict, it's difficult, but possible. i've only ever done it with a rider opposite to the way i ride - i'm regular, they are goofy. if the queues were long, i'd ride with someone else. but normally i prefer to ride by myself as i don't want to be responsible for someone else falling off Embarassed .
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mountainaddict, two is fine for me or a share with a skier. It's only if the dismount area is short or tight do things get 'interesting' wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque wrote:
mountainaddict,It's only if the dismount area is short or tight do things get 'interesting' wink

good point there, trying to work out the various scenarios and options and they all result in carnage Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
solarfish
Quote:

I do have to take issue with 'bone numbing -10 or -12C' though, that is a really nice temperature here

I do have to take issue with you taking issue Very Happy. I forgot to mention that (being a hard northern Britain lad) I always ski wearing only swimming trunks.....Mind I was in Canmore a couple of seasons ago and almost had to wear a ski polo..... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ive done it, Board instructor gave it to us as a challenge, goofy must ride with regular snowHead

Hard to mount and dismount but *a bit* easyer
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
2 boarders should lean towards each other, this keeps you on track.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There are often two boardes at once on the t bar at our local dryslope although barely ever a skier and a boarder
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I going to learn to ride a T bar in February (yes, really!! I've got reds on my agenda this year!!), should I avoid sharing with a boarder if possible, and is it easier to ride by myself?

N.B. for those that don't know I try to ski
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So what's the punch line ?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mountainaddict, I find its easier if you share with a skier than a boarder but it seems as though a lot of skiers are a bit wary of that. Depends on how good the boarder is I suppose. Most skiers probably just see a board and don't bother.
ski holidays
truffaut wrote:
So what's the punch line ?

None Smile
they're all sat in the middle of the piste !
snow report
Megamum, no, it is easier to share with another skier than go on your own.
latest report
snowball, v. useful - thanks!

With a bit of luck I should be with a known companion of exactly the same height and near enough the same weight Shocked wink
latest report
Quote:
Megamum, no, it is easier to share with another skier than go on your own.

Apart from when it comes to getting off
snow conditions
If you think riding a drag lift on a snowboard is tricky then you should try it on a Monoski sometime. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
stab, not just boarders.... t-bars are cuddly lifts regardless of whats underfoot...

Seen boarders riding a t-bar together often enough... and not just regular+goofy...

Megamum, avoid sharing with an inexperienced boarder, and to lesser degree skier. They tend to be a tad pushy, which improves as they get used to riding the tbar.
snow conditions
I hope that BMF_Skier will have sufficient experience and patience to get me sorted out on them Smile The off-putting thing in Switzerland is that they are all of apparent considerable length, and at one is V. steep from what I can see Shocked I do not like the idea of falling off along their length as they also cross parts of the mountain that are no-where near the piste and I could end end up in an offpiste situation that I would rather not Shocked
ski holidays
Megamum, Steep is easier, you're more firmly planted onto the bar, so don't worry Wink

Keywords are to stand, not sit, relax, and to not push away from the person sharing.
ski holidays
Megamum, the challenge with T-Bars is to go on your own, but have one leg either side. T is balanced then and stops those pesky boarders trying to join you.

I used to be able to do this- but wouldn't want to try it now
latest report
For a skier: easiest with another skier of similar stature, then (increasing difficulty) - competent boarder (any size), bigger skier, alone, smaller skier (ie child).

For a boarder: with a skier, with another boarder (opposite stance), alone, with another boarder (same stance). Haven't tried to negotiate a T-bar on a board with a child so unable to comment on that.

Persuading boarders of this is sometimes tricky.

T-bars are really not that tricky, it's the 'explosive start' button tows that really need practice, and much easier for skiers.

You also need to check at the top if you can just chuck the bar away or if you need to retract it.
snow conditions
Load of rubish, if you are any use on a board you can go up with anyone - Skier, snowboarder regular or goffy.

I know people that have snowboarded years and still cant use a drag lift of any sort though - Scottish snow sports was my upbringing so had to learn, not many chairs on the go up north!! Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy