Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How cold can you go?

Poster: A snowHead
JasonW wrote:
It was chilly in bed last night, well I got a frosty reception from the wife when I came in mullered 3 hrs later than i said I would be rolling eyes

Laughing Laughing Laughing I can empathise with that one..... Laughing

-35 in Swedish Lapland. In spite of wearing an all in one over my ski gear and two pairs of ski socks, I've never felt so cold. It made the ice bar in the Ice Hotel at -5 seem positively tropical. The vodka and lingonberry juice probably helped too.... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not skied in, but about 20 years ago arrived in Jackson hole to be greeted by -47. Slopes were shut, needless to say. Same trip ski in Grand Targhee and it was below -30. That was the coldest I've ever skied. We could only stay out an hour or so without coming back indoors for a hot drink.

Climbed in Alaska in early May many years ago and the thermometer never got above -40 for days on end. The device didn't go lower than that so can only really guess the temperature. Was windy too and we were bitterly cold. Couldn't wait to set up camp at the end of the day but it took ages to get a brew ready due to the altitude. Several guys got frostbite on summit day.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman wrote:
-32c in Zermatt.

I've never felt as cold anywhere else in the world as I've been on Cairngorm though. Got stuck on the ridge sitting on the Coire Na Ciste chairlift, stationary for 90 minutes on the ridge, 80 mile an hour wind and minus loads centigrade, blowing ice shards straight at me, I had icicles on my icicles.

CG cold does feel damper and colder... I spent a night on the plateau in a snow coffin with the highest gust recorded at 118mph. Walking out the next day we had ice building up over our faces in sheets which had to be pulled off, and ice forming between our clothing layers... brrrr!!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It might not be as cold as some have quoted but we had constant -25 in Val D'Isere for two weeks, night and day.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarpa wrote:
Spyderman wrote:
-32c in Zermatt.

I've never felt as cold anywhere else in the world as I've been on Cairngorm though. Got stuck on the ridge sitting on the Coire Na Ciste chairlift, stationary for 90 minutes on the ridge, 80 mile an hour wind and minus loads centigrade, blowing ice shards straight at me, I had icicles on my icicles.

CG cold does feel damper and colder... I spent a night on the plateau in a snow coffin with the highest gust recorded at 118mph. Walking out the next day we had ice building up over our faces in sheets which had to be pulled off, and ice forming between our clothing layers... brrrr!!!

It's currently -5 outside just been out in my shirtsleaves and it's not as "cold" as last week when it was wet and +5
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JimW wrote:
Slight different take - biggest temp change?

We had two weeks in Les Arcs ... March 05 I think.

-18C the first week. Bitter. Ski-school coming in half way through the lesson so the class could warm up.

Week 2: +12C Sunshine & Tee shirts.

So a 30 degree change during the holiday. Anyone had more?

We can have a 30 degree change in a couple of days here, for example max temp 13 December 2008 = -10C, min temp 15 December 2008 = -42C !

Edit: Just to add if someone was on a two week holiday to Banff starting 7th December this year they would have gone from a max of +3C to a min of -42C, so that is a 45C change during the 'holiday'.

Last year I remember one day when people arrived at Sunshine from Calgary reporting that it had been -26C when they left and was -4C when they arrived. So a swing of +22C during a 1 hour drive up into the mountains!

In answer to the original question I have skied at -35C at Lake Louise, anything below -30C and Sunshine is likely to close because the Gondola won't run. There was also one day at Lake Louise about 3 years ago when we were allowed to ski the lower half of the mountain which was -25C but the top half was closed as windchill was making it -60C ! It is interesting that at those temperatures it is not so much the danger when skiing, but the potential risk on the lifts. If the lift failed, it is unlikely that everyone could be rescued in time.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
-34 Banff last January, now that was seriously cold. The missus stayed in the spa while I ventured out for a few hours fun! NehNeh
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not whilst skiing (can't really remember them temps - as long as it shows a minus in front of the number I'm sorted). However, the coldest that sticks in my mind is February 2007. -10C on Dartmoor, plus at the top of a couple of the tors a windchill of around -15C, taking it to -25C. Fantastic when you've not got great kit and you've got to take your gloves off to do a task... rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

-29 at ruka finland
-36 at levi finland a few years before (hit -44 on the lake overnight) and the brits were the only people out on the slopes (even the lift attendants stayed in their huts)
but the fire cabins dotted around the slopes helped warm them frozen fingers Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
minus 42 (with wind chill) on the Stubai glacier about 20 years ago, full neoprene face masks required but Patch and I only managed about one run before sitting out the storm in a bar Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's minus 6 in Derbyshire tonight. For some reason that feels a lot colder than minus 12 in the Alps...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queen bodecia, funny you should say that, I had just been thinking that I have scarcely ever felt as cold in a ski resort as I have been feeling in London today!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don't know the exact figure, but was told by the liftie at Jasper '07 "if it drops another degree we're shutting the mountain, so may be your last run today". It was.

As long as you can keep the flesh covered, and the nostrils unblocked, extreme cold makes me feel alive.

John.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have done -26C in alpe d'huez in january - it was beautiful sunny weather and it didn't really feel that cold if you were wrapped up. it was only on a drag lift holding on to the metal pole that i felt the cold, that was painful on the hand!

having said that the only place i've ever really felt cold was Breckenridge in late Jan/early Feb. i like to think as a hardy scot i ski in almost anything, but one windy morning in breckenridge i did something i've never done before - sacked off the 9am lift for pancakes to let it heat up a little. good decision, i've never seen so many people in the cafe's in the morning on the main street, apparently it was -70C with wind chill on the mountain Shocked Skullie !

heard the best conversation while i was in the cafe too - couple of pro's having a chat and one says to the other 'how are you getting on now anyway, you were out for a bit weren't you?' other one says 'yeah, broke my back last year but i'm getting there now' Shocked .
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
-8 in Warwickshire this morning, which as above feels a lot colder in the UK than in the Alps.
snow conditions
-32 in Argentiere in Jan 1991, group of six of us, at some point during the morning everyone got frost nip on their faces and mine turned into a large black scab on my chin, wife wanted to know who I had been fighting with when she saw it!! rolling eyes We only did 3 runs that morning and each one terminated in the cafe. Shocked
snow conditions
-26C in Levi. Wasn't too bad as long as you had no exposed skin and stayed out of the wind - when it hit -37 I called it a day though.

Tried XC skiing in -20ish and it was like skiing in sand, you don't need wax at all. At temps like this skis just don't work properly anymore!
snow report
-60C in a test chamber in Germany a few weeks ago. Not much fun as I was wearing a suit but they did at least give me a wooly hat and a pair of gloves. I managed about 2 minutes before I politely excused myself (as my eyeballls felt like they were freezing over)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy