Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How cold can you go?

Poster: A snowHead
What is the coldest anyone has skiied in?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
-17C at bottom of Perriere's lift in Les Gets one year, where there was a warning not to take small kids up the mountain. That was not very pleasant. OK if you skiied hard. Not OK when sat still on chairlift.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
-35c in Banff, there was a liftee checking for frostbite on your face.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can beat that. On friday it was -18C at the top of the Yret Chairlift at 2800m in Serre Chevalier. Taking pictures was painful on the hands at that low temperature.

It was in sunshine and there wasnt windchill so it could have been worse. Although it required a quick descent to warm up.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
-39 at Lake Louise, no wind, beautiful sunshine. Brrrr

-42 in Banff overnight.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Skied in -20 at Lake Louise. Not too bad if well covered up. Chairlifts were cold though
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
-35 @ 3000m in Crans Montana Christmas 2004. With the wind chill the board as you left the lift station said it was effectively -50. We checked each other for frost bite regularly on the way down and they closed the lift to the glacier soon after.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've climbed ice falls in -16C, walked a mile back from the pub in -29C and at -19C ran across a snow covered car park in bare feet wearing only swimming shorts and a hat, then found that the hot tub had been locked up... that was a shivery one snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anyone that was in Banff in the week commencing 13th December will no what cold is all about! We experienced -42 in Banff town a couple of nights and people were talking about -50 with wind chill up at Sunshine. In fact Sunshine either didnt open or opened later in the day most of that week. Ive never had to force ice out of my nostrils before! I actually found the severe cold quite invigorating and you felt fine as long as you kept bundled up properly and didnt leave any exposed skin open to the elements.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 28-12-08 17:20; edited 6 times in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
-25°C at stubai, if you include wind chill it was about -30-40°C at the top... Brrrrr
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
-20 or so at whistler, closer to -30 with the windchill. not nice.

-25 or so trying to cross the highway to get to the diner on the other side of the road in Golden. Even not-niererer
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It was chilly in bed last night, well I got a frosty reception from the wife when I came in mullered 3 hrs later than i said I would be rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
According to Meteo France the coldest I've known is -28°C on the Bellecote Glacier in La Plagne. Wind started to pick up and it went from bracingly cold to scary cold. God knows what the wind chill factor was but we quit skiing for the day because I got a touch of frost nip on my nose.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've camped in -24C in Finland this winter...but at least it wasn't windy for a wind chill to be added on.
One 4-season sleeping bag and some canvas between us and the night sky. Made popping out for a call of nature at 3am a little adventure in its own right.

But back to skiing -
According to a friend they close Lake Louise at -40C. Which presumably means they leave it open at - 39C...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
-20 and we were on the Continental Divide on skidoos. Bitter.
ski holidays
JimW, I would imagine it has a lot to do with windchill and temp inversions as well. If it is -40 at the base it could easily be -25 at the top, I guess.
ski holidays
-16 at the top of Bellevarde in VDI, Jan 2000. That were quite cold enough for me...
latest report
-23c at Panorama plus a windchill is the worst I've endured. Seriously cold, dread to think what the coldest temps that have been quoted above must've been like.
Just not enjoyable at that temperature, beyond cold- it's just pain!! Luckily being away for 2 weeks meant we didn't have to make the most of it so could go in
snow report
eddyr, the Rockies are a different cold to the Purcells

Laughing
ski holidays
-30C ealy morming on the mile 1 chair at Panorama. Cold was biting on the face,. Did give me an excuse pull up my hood & avoid getting the life story of fellow passenger. Cold keeps the snow nice though & you forget about it coming down. I did stop in the teepee to wam myself by the brazier.
ski holidays
-46C near Portsmouth a few weeks back.
Ok, it was in an environmental chamber Very Happy chuffin cold though.

Skied -28 in Jasper a few years back , frostbite checks on all the lifts. 2 run limit before we had to head in for a warm up. Lots of fun though.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 28-12-08 19:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I've ridden in -30c air temp in ValTho over a New Year.

It sucked.
snow report
Last year in Courchevel. We got caught in horrendous conditions trying to get back to La Tania.

All the chair lifts were closed, with just one drag lift staying open to allow people to try and get back to La Tania (although this closed about 15 mins after we got off it).

The wind was that strong you had to fight every second to not get blown off. It was so cold, i thought bits of me were going to drop off. My hands were paralysed with cold, and the wet patches on my coat froze solid. You couldn't see anything past about 10 foot in front of you.

It was apparently -35 including the wind chill.
snow report
Tremblant Feb 2002; -27C at the bottom, a lot colder at the top with the wind chill (the locals claimed -45C but I can't verify that) . We all had to use face masks and also had to stop after the first run down to get our boots off and warm up the freezing toes (oddly, they were always fine for the remainder of the day after this ritual.)
ski holidays
THe snow was great at -23c but I found it difficult to really enjoy it Smile
ski holidays
-18 in Passo Tonale, in falling snow and rubbish visibility. Did one trip up on the chair, skied down and finished for the morning Sad Just as cold in the afternoon, but it had stopped snowing and was much pleasanter
ski holidays
-5c today and very cold it was too Toofy Grin
snow conditions
-30 Tignes 1990. Warmed up to about -14 sometimes, positively tropical. My mate did get frostbitten toes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Minus 50 with wind chill at Lake Louise (back side) - I was on the only one of the group not to get frostbite.

You know how only maddogs & Englishmen go out in the midday sun? Well, it was only the Brits up on the hill that day too.
snow report
-29C at Jasper. The lifties weren't letting anybody on without full face covering headgear.

And that evening, swimming outdoors at -25C. Duck under the water, and 20 seconds later your hair was all icicles Smile
snow report
About -35c at revelstoke last weekend on the new darkside chair. Some scary looking frostbite in the lodge. Not super enjoyable. -15 to -20 would be luxury.
snow conditions
-32c in Zermatt.

I've never felt as cold anywhere else in the world as I've been on Cairngorm though. Got stuck on the ridge sitting on the Coire Na Ciste chairlift, stationary for 90 minutes on the ridge, 80 mile an hour wind and minus loads centigrade, blowing ice shards straight at me, I had icicles on my icicles.
snow report
-22 at the foot of the L2A glacier around 6 years ago.

And I've been in +42 in Singapore and Adelaide if you're looking for the other end of the scale. And worked in the Gulf this year but it was winter so only in the late 20s.
ski holidays
=-35 on In a number fo resorts in New Hampshire one year. Got half way up a lift and they where taking everyone off at mid station I asked why Because sir it is -42 At the top and most people dont like skiing in that cold. Shocked
snow report
Is it true that in -20ish or below if u throw a cup of water in the air, it will freeze or crystalise.
latest report
kendub, I had a bottle of water when I was in -22, it wasn't anywhere like freezing up Laughing
snow conditions
-25 in LDA, on one lift you weren't allowed on unless you were wearing a hat, totally sensible really. We lasted about 3 runs and then got off the mountain. We were in the area for a season so we figured we could pick our days a bit more, if I'd been there on holiday I'd have stayed out as long as poss.
latest report
Slight different take - biggest temp change?

We had two weeks in Les Arcs ... March 05 I think.

-18C the first week. Bitter. Ski-school coming in half way through the lesson so the class could warm up.

Week 2: +12C Sunshine & Tee shirts.

So a 30 degree change during the holiday. Anyone had more?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 29-12-08 14:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
minus 37c in the village in Levi. Painfully cold.
latest report
Got frost nip on the VB arrete. Was made to stand in the sun and rubbing my face for 15-20 minutes until the guide was happy. I guess it was around -25 with wind-chill...and the fact that the arrete was so slow... as normal..!!!
Apart from the hands and face, it was ok and once we got moving, a perfect day. You just don't want to be trapped on the ridge in a blowing wind.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy