Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen - hated it

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
Having just spent a week in Les De Alpes before going to Mayrhofen the two cant be compared - LDA was superb, fabulous runs and links,

Go back in Summer and tell me you still believe LDA is a better place!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can you ski in Mayrhofen in the summer?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
Can you ski in Mayrhofen in the summer?

Yes. On the Hintertux glacier! Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I might be skiing on the Hintertux glacier in May. How close is it to Mayrhofen?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never been to Mayrhofen and have been put off by the fact there is no skiing to the valley. However, find it difficult to belive the prices paid. Last time I was in Soll a H/B hotel and flights cost me £300.00. A pasta dish on the mountain was about 7.00 Euro.

rob@rar,

I think Hintertux is just down the valley from Mayrhofen?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
I might be skiing on the Hintertux glacier in May. How close is it to Mayrhofen?
If the road is clear it's about 20 minutes drive. If the farmers are out on their tractors then add another 30 mins Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Only real downside I saw to Mayrhofen is that half the hotels are the wrong end of the main street from the lifts, which means a 5min trek or a ski bus. If you take the bus from Neuhaus or Kramerwirt, why not take the bus 1 village down the valley and do Zillertal Arena instead?
I do wonder how many people who go to Mayrhofen get the area pass, but not ski Zillertal arena (which is potentially bigger?), Hintertux, or one of the other resorts in the valley.
Not noticed anything abnormal about prices, but then I'm paid in Euros and spend in Euros.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnboy wrote:
rob@rar,

I think Hintertux is just down the valley from Mayrhofen?

Strictly speaking, it's up the valley! (it's a glacier, so it's got to be at the high end) NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar,

From the Motorway A12 at Junction Wiesing Mayrhofen is 19.2 miles and Hintertux is 31.4 miles. The two is about 12 miles apart.

In the winter and starting from Wiesing junction and on the same road to Hintertux

5.5 miles is Fugen with 21km piste and 8 lifts
9.4 miles is Kaltenbach with 155km piste and 35 lifts
14.3 miles is Zillertal Arena at Zell, with 163 km piste and 50 lifts
19.2 miles you will be Mayrhofen with 157 km piste and 48 lifts plus a separate small resort called Ahorn.
31.4 miles is the end of the valley at Hintertux with 86 km piste and 21 lifts.

Any ski pass bought at any one of the resort for 4 days and over will entitle the holder access to the entire valley of 167 lifts and 639 km piste.

Parking is free in all the Austrian resorts I've come across.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
saikee wrote:
rob@rar,

From the Motorway A12 at Junction Wiesing Mayrhofen is 19.2 miles and Hintertux is 31.4 miles. The two is about 12 miles apart.

In the winter and starting from Wiesing junction and on the same road to Hintertux

5.5 miles is Fugen with 21km piste and 8 lifts
9.4 miles is Kaltenbach with 155km piste and 35 lifts
14.3 miles is Zillertal Arena at Zell, with 163 km piste and 50 lifts
19.2 miles you will be Mayrhofen with 157 km piste and 48 lifts plus a separate small resort called Ahorn.
31.4 miles is the end of the valley at Hintertux with 86 km piste and 21 lifts.

Are you sure those aren't kilometres? It certainly didn't seem as much as 5 miles between Kaltenbach and Zell am Ziller, nor between Zell am Ziller and Mayrhofen.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alex_heney, Viamichelin just told me 53km from Jenbach to Hintertux.
Good to see Zillertal Arena has more km than Mayrhofen. Much more convenient for those driving in. Might try Kaltenbach next time, but a 2 day pass is only valid in 1 sub-area. If I was in Neuhaus/Kramerwirt, I'd seriously consider bus down to Zell, assuming there's one from Mayrhofen station to the Rohrberg Lifts.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alex_heney,

I normally compile a distance chart for a skiing trip so that I would be aware of the neighboring resorts within a striking distance. The tool I used is Mircosoft Autoroute which is similar to Viamichelin as used by andy except it is a lot faster as it is a resident program inside the hard disk.

Jenbach is 2.5 miles from Wiesing and 53km to Hintertux can be worked out , assuming 1 mile=1.6km, 53/1.6-2.5 = 30.6 miles which is about the same I quoted. The accuracy of the distance depends on the point a user picks at the map and so a mile difference acceptable within a 30 miles journey, even using two different software.

I post the skiing resorts in Zillertal Valley because most TO only do packages for Mayrhofen and many skiers are not aware of what the rest of the valley can offer. Some of them don't even know a 4+ day ski pass, classified as the Zillertal Superskipass allow the hold to ski anywhere in the valley. A seasonal skier like yourself obviously know a lot more.

I think Zillertal Valley, of which Marhofen is just one of the several resorts, has a few attractions to offer; Hintertux has known to have the deepest snow and the glacier can be skied in the summer, Ahorn has the world's biggest cable car, Penken has the steepest groomed piste in Austria, Ziellertal Arena has one of the longest point to point skiing........

As with every resort it has its bad points but not enough for me to hate it. Would any recreational skier hate the resort after going down its steepest black piste of Austria in one piece?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
saikee wrote:
alex_heney,

I normally compile a distance chart for a skiing trip so that I would be aware of the neighboring resorts within a striking distance. The tool I used is Mircosoft Autoroute which is similar to Viamichelin as used by andy except it is a lot faster as it is a resident program inside the hard disk.

Jenbach is 2.5 miles from Wiesing and 53km to Hintertux can be worked out , assuming 1 mile=1.6km, 53/1.6-2.5 = 30.6 miles which is about the same I quoted. The accuracy of the distance depends on the point a user picks at the map and so a mile difference acceptable within a 30 miles journey, even using two different software.

I must presume then that it is significantly further by road than by train between the different areas.

Quote:

I post the skiing resorts in Zillertal Valley because most TO only do packages for Mayrhofen and many skiers are not aware of what the rest of the valley can offer.

Agreed, although I went with Crystal to Zell am Ziller last year, and this year they also have Fugen on their list (and already had Finkenberg ).

Quote:

Some of them don't even know a 4+ day ski pass, classified as the Zillertal Superskipass allow the hold to ski anywhere in the valley. A seasonal skier like yourself obviously know a lot more.

Seasonal skier? Not me I'm afraid (I wish!).

I'm your typical Brit 1 week per year skier Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alex_heney wrote:

I must presume then that it is significantly further by road than by train between the different areas.

I shouldn't think so. The train follows the road quite closely in places and as it's a valley there's only really one way it can go. I don't think that many of the train stops are near the lifts either, a jump on the ski bus is always required.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hi guys..im off to mayrhofen in a few weeks with a tour operator. I see from the mayrhofen website that its possible to rent a car in mayrhofen itself. I was wondering does anyone think this is a good idea or even better has anyone done it?
ski holidays
I quite like Mayrhofen -been there twice - then I did not like Jackson Hole -everyone to there own - you have not lived untill you have walked down the high street at past midnight -in ski boots -kebab in hand after several miss spent hours in the grolsch bar talking football with Dutch Ajax fans - nah I love it Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
andytb wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

I shouldn't think so. The train follows the road quite closely in places and as it's a valley there's only really one way it can go. I don't think that many of the train stops are near the lifts either, a jump on the ski bus is always required.

Hmm. I just checked the timetable, and it takes longer than I was remembering, so it probably is a similar distance.

BTW, the Kaltenbach stop is in sight of the gondola, about 300yards walk, and I think Fugen is similar. You do need a bus for most of the areas though.
latest report
alex_heney,

Hintertux is 12 miles up the valley and Zell (for Zillertal Arena) is 5 miles down the valley. They are better with a ski bus, train or a car.

Mayrhofen is pretty busy with Penkenbahn at peak time but within the same linked area the Finkenberg, Eggalmbhan and even Horbergbahn (all part of Mayrhofen domain) have less visitors and their queues disappear a lot quicker. Thus having your own transport and stay in bed a bit longer is not a penalty.

The night life of Mayrhofen is matched by those in Zillertal Arena and Kaltenbach, the latter is a lot more colorful than Mayrhofen.

It seems having loud music, discos and plenty of bars right at the bottom of the main lift station are the main features of many Austrian resorts. This is particular so in a resort where the majority of the residents are visitors
snow conditions
jms wrote:
hi guys..im off to mayrhofen in a few weeks with a tour operator. I see from the mayrhofen website that its possible to rent a car in mayrhofen itself. I was wondering does anyone think this is a good idea or even better has anyone done it?

The only benefit of hiring a car is that you don't have to wait for the skibus or take the train if you want to experience the other areas. The buses are regular and efficient, if busy at peak times, and generally drop you at the door of the lift building, whereas of course most car parks result in a short walk, but nothing to worry about - unlike for example at Kaprun, where the Kitzsteinhorn glacier car park is strung out down the valley, so you can have 800-1200 metre uphill walk to the lift with all of your kit.

I'd try the bus first - if you hate the queueing, scrum to board, and crush, then hire a car. Personally, I've never had a problem with it, and the run to Hintertux wasn't a problem other than it taking 30 minutes each way.
ski holidays
just to put a few things in to perspective, L2A a few weeks ago .... a double burger, fries and a drink (beer/soft) in Le Takeaway (and very tasty it was too was) €6.90, at La/Les Granges (decent restaurant) two main courses and a bottle of house red with free bread/cold meat starter/2 genepi was €42, and there were generally quite a lot of on street signs for €15(ish) three course meals, but also there was pizza for €15 a pop and other expensive(ish) examples. Also I never paid less than €5 for a beer and normally it was a bit more than that. I never ate on the mountain but a coffee (esspresso) was minimum €3 and a hotdog/small square of pizza on Cretes (takeway bar) was €5.50.

Just a thought but burger fries and a bottle of beer for the same as a large beer in a bar ? something wrong there Shocked

I think you can get good (and not so good) deals for nosh if you look around a bit and perhaps best to stay out of hotel 4* restaurants

easiski, Lutins was a bit more than that with a single €35 (cheap as chips really - literally !!) and double €65 ?? so maybe I should mention your name next time wink
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
saikee, You should have stayed at the Lutins and you could have got €25 per head as many snowheads know. wink wink

I'm being charged €38 for a singleton. And still very good, at that.
latest report
you know, I've just tried to think of one but I've never hated a ski resort. Even the worst that I've been to was redeemed by allowing me to....GO SKIING!

urely the spectrum for any Snowhead starts at
"better than the office" and finishes at "what lies to I have to tell to avoid going home"

wink

J
ski holidays
jedster, good point, how can nay one hate a ski resort, unless you are a learner boarder and it only has drag lifts and blacks at the resort wink
latest report
jedster, spot on, and I especially love hills that only have drag lifts and blacks Little Angel
snow conditions
jedster, Very good point! Much as I would never return to the hell-hole that is Borovets I could never say I "hated it".
latest report
Well, off to see if I can lurve Mayrhofen in.......let me see.......er........about 6 hours snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Crikey hopingforsnow! Calm down, calm down! MH may not have suited you - but don't slate the place! The Euro/£ situation is poor - and it hit an all time low just about the minute I landed at Saltzsurg - I've just spent a very expensive week over Xmas in Austria - shock to the system - yes - Austrias fault - no!
Finding stores closed over the religious festival should not be cause for complaint - unfortunately us Brits seem to have forgotten the real reason for Xmas and think it is a retail fest for the compulsive shopper. The first question I would have asked was what is open and when - and planned accordingly.
I suspect you booked a cheap self catering week - hoping to have a cheap week - we all know it works out much cheaper in the long run to go half board - and hotels even open on Xmas night for dinner - usually laying on a special buffet included in the price!!
Sometimes a bit of walking, poleing etc is required in most resorts - I'd love to have a personal sherpa who would give me a piggy back up every slope as I am a crap boarder and hate the lifts - but you know what? - I grin and bear it and pick myself up - dust myself off - and fall over again - but I don't slate the resort cos it don't suit me!!
And cos I'm a boarder does it make me a lout? - no I am a 49 year old mother of teenage twins.....................

........................mind you they get a bit lary after a couple fo sherberts!!!

Happy New Year - soon be the Bowls season!!
xx
snow report
notnaturalblonde, In France we all work every day and the shops stay open until 19.30 or a bit later - even on holidays and sundays and so on. we consider it a normal part of welcoming holiday makers. I don't know any french resort which closes early for Xmas - yes they all want to go home to their families too! Hopingforsnow was here for a week 2 weeks before she went to Mayrhofen. Clearly the difference was considerable, but what is rather galling is that we are constantly assured that Austria is cheaper than France. It may be cheaper than the Haute Savoie, but it's clearly not cheaper than here. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, all of the Ski Amade resorts we skied last Feb were vastly cheaper than L2A was in the prior Nov. You are tarring the whole of Austria as others have France Little Angel
snow report
And the OP was eating out in 4 star hotel restaurants, not the cheapy pizzeria round the corner. How much does it cost for a family to eat in a 4 star hotel in L2A?

Most Austrian resorts tend to be normal functioning villages/towns rather than 'resorts', with normal shop opening hours.
snow report
I went to Mayrhofen in December for the first time and I must admit, I preferred it to Les Deux Alps. Mayrhofen and was pleasantly surprised. It was much more livelier and a nicer town to walk through, the runs were nice (the amount of snow fall helped!). Admittedly though, the food range wasn't all that great but we only went to places without the research.

In fact it looks like i'll be heading out there on Saturday for a week - can anyone recommend any good restaurants in Mayrhofen?
snow report
off to mayrhofen in 4 weeks , for the third time . love the place . last went 3 years ago and found it very cheap . we eat in a differant place every night and never paid move than $20 a head . as for the ski area , the lift pass means you can catch the train down the valley to other areas . kaltenback was my favourite. as for the lift , we only found them busy on the first day between 8.30 and 10 when people were getting up the mountain for lessons. as for boarders being louts NehNeh , im a boarder and last time i was there i averaged 2/3 beers a night and was in bed by 23.30 every night . ps i dont sit in the middle of the piste either. Little Angel
snow report
Nick-o wrote:

In fact it looks like i'll be heading out there on Saturday for a week - can anyone recommend any good restaurants in Mayrhofen?

See the third posting in this thread Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Went there in '84 and hated it! wink Lift system was god-awful with a monster wait for the cable cars out of resort every morning - has nothing changed?
latest report
easiski wrote:
Clearly the difference was considerable, but what is rather galling is that we are constantly assured that Austria is cheaper than France. It may be cheaper than the Haute Savoie, but it's clearly not cheaper than here. rolling eyes

I'm sorry, but that isn't "clear" unless we have quotes for similar things there. (i.e. eating out in the restaurants of 4 star hotels).
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
Went there in '84 and hated it! wink Lift system was god-awful with a monster wait for the cable cars out of resort every morning - has nothing changed?

I have no idea what it was like in '84, but the lift system now is pretty good.

I believe there are still queues for the Penkenbahn gondola (a gondola now at last, rather than cable car) first thing (but never saw it for myself, as I entered the ski area using the Horbergbahn gondola from Hippach - no queue at all.

The only significant queue I had for any lift in the Zillertal (including 5 days skiing Kaltenbach the previous season) was at the chairlift linking towards Konigsleiten from Gerlos in the Zillertal Arena - and that was still only about 5 minutes.

There was a 2-3 minute queue to come *down* the Penkenbahn at the end of the day.
snow report
notnaturalblonde - I think it is you who needs to calm down - I merely expressed my opinion on what I found and didnt ram it down peoples throats!! We are a Catholic family and go away at Christmas to get away from the commercial crap we call Christmas in the UK and bet we were the only Brits in the resort at that time to go to the 11pm Mass on Christmas Eve to celebrate Christmas as it should be so please dont lob me and my family in with the 99.9% of Brits who think Christmas is about buying junk, getting drunk, over eating and stringing up as many fairy lights as their sockets will take. We didn't hope for a cheap week or go self catering we were Bed and Breakfast in a guest house out of choice so we could eat out at good quality, expensive restaurants but as I said before the food on offer was rubbish and poor quality - mostly geared towards people who like pizza, burger and chips which we do not. I am a vegetarian and cook meat and veg 6 days a week for my husband and two teenage lads and cook chips (real not frozen) once a week for the lads only so to be forced to eat such junk was very dissapointing expecially at how much they cost. I also do not go on holiday to shop and didnt go in a single one the whole week I was there. We arrived on the Saturday at 5pm, checked in and walked straight into the town to meet our rep and guess what my first question was? yes thats right what time do the Supermarkets shut? only to be told 6pm and they had just closed and wouldnt be open until Monday so didnt get the choice to plan accordingly as you put it!! We didnt want food provisions just some drinks as we do not drink tea or coffee which was all the guest house could offer us. Perhaps next time you post you should not assume quite so much and not make your posts so personal - people are liable to take offence! BTW being younger than you I suspect bowls will appeal to you before me!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 5-01-09 1:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

One more point was that the Spa supermarket closed at 6pm and was closed on the Sunday, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day so we had to shop at the petrol station for basic provisions of milk, beer etc!

hopingforsnow, that is from your post about the supermarkets....
Quote:

We are a Catholic family and go away at Christmas to get away from the commercial crap we call Christmas in the UK and bet we were the only Brits in the resort at that time to go to the 11pm Mass on Christmas Eve

Can you make a quick decision about what side of the fence you sit on.... I am a bit Puzzled

It is a shame that the Austrians are not the most creative with their menus... very porky! it is difficult to eat with variety out here if your are a veggie (unless you want to eat salads all week).
So I can imagine that was a bit difficult.

from my experience it seems to be the 'junk' that is pricey... €3 for a bowl of chips is average... €3.40 for a big bowl of goulash soup with a roll though! In fact all soups are normally around €3
Grostl - awesome !! from €6 to €10
Infact... I think if you stck with the internationally safe foodstuffs you don't get as much value for money as the traditional Austrian meals (especially saltwater fish.... can't think why!)
snow conditions
flangesax I think it is more than obvious what side of the fence I sit on - are you suggesting that being a Catholic I should not be dissapointed that supermarkets in a ski resort which gets its main living from tourists like myself do not cater for them in what must be one of the busiest weeks in the season by staying open a little later so we can stock up before they rightly close to celebrate Christmas as every other resort we have visited does? If I had been offered saltwater fish I would have gladly paid over the odds for it but it was not an option on any of the menus offfered.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 5-01-09 8:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Maybe we need a sticky in this section detailing useful info like local shop hours? As we were self-catering in Obergurgl I rang the tourist office a couple of weeks before we went to ask about the supermarket - tho in fact the answer I got was it would close according to decision closer to the time - but would be likely to be 6pm. What I didn't expect was that whilst we could buy milk, bread, spread etc (we came armed with teabags of course Madeye-Smiley ) for any fresh meat I would have needed to order on Monday to pick up on Wednesday, and Wednesday for Friday Shocked Well macaroni cheese and peas is a great meal to make on two rings Very Happy (the only frozen meat/fish was in two ice-cream size freezers- along with veg and ice-cream!) - tho there were sausages galore if you like salami etc Laughing

I think possibly the difference is how much the town/village thinks it is a tourist/ski resort - and will therefore be different to the local customs. For example Granada in Spain has many tourists but they still shut supermarkets for all the local holidays - which are not always predictable! My mother has lived there for a year now and still got caught out last week.

We are still reconciling the fact that a burger with salad and fries cost around 3.5 euros while a milkshake cost 3.7 euros in Sierra Nevada last week - it was way cheaper to eat than drink Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy