Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The great Alpine beer price debate - let's have a survey

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

40p per pint in the supermarkets

I didn't have you down as a Tesco Value Bitter man. Boredsurfing.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is there a great alpine beer? My OH thinks not. It's just weak stuff in bottles.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
erica2004, the "great" is supposed to be the debate not the beer, seems the debate is pretty weak too Laughing wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
erica2004, you're right. And it's hardly revealing to compare the cost of a pint of Grolsch with a pint of Tesco Value Bitter. Apples and pears. Cider and perry.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hubby would disagree, having just finished the last of his beers from the microbrewery in Briancon. La Tourmente . Also Luc Alphand beer brewed locally too. Available bottled, and also draught in many of our local bars. Certainly not weak offerings either.
You need to cross the Col du Lauteret and stop heading for the Tarentaise guys.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I love a cold Kronenbourg on the side of the Piste on a nice blue sky day, and coke seems to cost the same amount so why not wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boredsurfing wrote:
gortonator,
Quote:

BTW, how much is a pint in UK nowadays

Pub prices towards £3.00 a pint in the provinces. 40p per pint in the supermarkets and the Government is continuing to blame pubs for binge drinking Sad

Not in these "provinces".

There are certainly still plenty of pubs where you can get decent beer for under/around £2 per pint.

And you can't get anything decent in the supermarkets for much under £1.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Though I know Bansko is not in the Alps, £2.50 for a pint is just fantastic. The main Apres Ski bar is Happy End and the beer is good, surroundings are good and it generally has a great atmosphere up to around 8pm then its pretty much dead. I think if you are paying over the odds and the bar is a shithole its probably time you found a new bar.

BTW at a Covent Garden bar I frequent the pints are £5.90! It is the best beer in town though IMHO. Brugse Zot for those who need to know....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

microbrewery in Briancon. La Tourmente . Also Luc Alphand beer brewed locally too.

Will second the quality on those Helen Beaumont, Very nice wheat beer, and the Alphand brewery have some really nice hearty dark beers. That's in Vallouise, isn't it? Didn't know that Tourmente were Briancon though.

Cannot wait to go back...just deciding on trip booking strategies now.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I thought of this thread when I heard a media report from Ibiza the other day when a cost of €7 for a drink was mentioned. It seems the continentals don't just fleece punters for drinks when they're up a mountain!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MarjMJ, Tourmente is just opposite the DIY place (Bricomat/Mr Bricolage).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont, are they the ones that make the beer with added Genepi - very nice in a slightly pervy way Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno, yes, they do.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, thanks for confirming
funnily enough, my memory of trying it is not perfect...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno, Laughing Laughing
latest report
Megamum wrote:
I thought of this thread when I heard a media report from Ibiza the other day when a cost of €7 for a drink was mentioned. It seems the continentals don't just fleece punters for drinks when they're up a mountain!!

In the tavernas in Stoupa (Mainland Greece) last week, 500ml Amstel varied between €2.50 - €3.00. Not quite as cheap as apint in Wetherspoons at home, but OK for a holiday resort.
snow conditions
alex_heney wrote:
In the tavernas in Stoupa (Mainland Greece) last week, 500ml Amstel varied between €2.50 - €3.00. Not quite as cheap as apint in Wetherspoons at home, but OK for a holiday resort.

0.5L of Amstel in the citys in Holland cost between 3.50 & 5.00
snow report
stanton wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

0.5L of Amstel in the citys in Holland cost between 3.50 & 5.00

Ouch! I wouldn't be drinking at the upper end of that range. I haven't yet ever paid as much as the bottom end of it, but I probably would if I was in a place it wasn't available cheaper.
ski holidays
So £2.50 for a pint in Bansko, vs £lots£ for a pint somewhere decent to ski? I'll stick with £silly£ thanks. Madeye-Smiley

Seriously who cares what the beer costs? That's not why you're there. If that IS why you're there, give up skiing, and take up sitting on park benches drinking thunderbird out of a bottle.
snow conditions
Axsman wrote:
So £2.50 for a pint in Bansko, vs £lots£ for a pint somewhere decent to ski? I'll stick with £silly£ thanks. Madeye-Smiley

Hang on. I thoughht you were a fan of Austria? Where it is generally IME no more than than €3 per 0.5L.

Quote:

Seriously who cares what the beer costs? That's not why you're there. If that IS why you're there, give up skiing, and take up sitting on park benches drinking thunderbird out of a bottle.

It isn't really about beer specifically, but more about prices in general. Beer just happens to be one item most of us can relate to.
ski holidays
alex_heney, Re Austria, well it depends which bit you go to. Ischgl and Lech can be a bit pricey (£lots£ more than Bansko anyway).

On your other point, the thread topic said 'beer' Madeye-Smiley

My real point is that skiing like most things is about more than price. it's about value. My experience is that I get good value, more smiles per £ spent, going somewhere nice, but maybe expensive, than finding the cheapest place and going there. Others may of course feel differently. Little Angel
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy