Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The great Alpine beer price debate - let's have a survey

Poster: A snowHead
OK, there have been so many threads about costs in various resorts in the Alpine countries. The benchmark seems to be the price of a large beer in a resort bar. So let's have a survey. What we need is the following:

Must be the regular price (not happy hour etc) of a 50cl beer.

Price in Euro / CHF / funnymoney / beer tokens (but proper currency preferred)

Name of bar and resort (essential, and must be a proper in-resort bar)

Converted to Sterling if you like (but please state your rate).

You must actually be in the resort stated - no historical "when I was there in 1977" prices Shocked

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 25-12-08 17:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sapporo Classic
650 yen (4.86 at an exchange of 134 yen to the pound. Last winter it was 234 yen to the pound Shocked )
Niseko Pizza, Wild Bills, Paddy McGinty's
Grand Hirafu, Niseko Resort Area, Hokkaido, Japan
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But I never buy beer!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We found 115 euro's round the house last night so we are laughing and we have a canadian dollar cheque that increases in value every day.....

6 euro seems like a fair amount
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen bodecia wrote:
But I never buy beer!
Then move along to another tread!

I paid 8 euro for a kronemberg Grizzlies in Tignes Val Claret.

That was 2 years ago.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia wrote:
But I never buy beer!
Tightwad

€2.5-3.5 on the hill in Ski Amade Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
€6 - BN (Blue Note) Bar, Val D'Isere centre last week (€3 during happy hour)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cafe Face, Val d'Isere, €2 for a large beer during happy hour.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No idea... if it is a small round, hopefully you'll get change from a 20eu...or 20 chf
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I dont get why everyone moans about this I really dont - I willingly spend up to 80 notes over here on a night out and over in frog land that will get you up to 12 beers easy and prob a chaser or 2 for good measure,

Who needs more alcohol than that after all we do have to get up to do what we went on holiday for,..........
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
aw-hicks, I agree with you. Just take a rich mummy and daddy, who take their little darlings out of their expensive schools for one week's skiing. Pure spending money wise, they'll probably spend 1.5k. So even with 30% drop in sterling, that typical, upper middle-class couple will only be spending an extra monkey. F-all when compared to their household income. But fock me, don't they whine about it! People don't know when they're well off.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
aw-hicks wrote:
I dont get why everyone moans about this I really dont...
No, nor do I. Let's suppose that last year you spent £500 on entertainment during your week. Well, this year that same entertainment is going to cost you £650-£700. Your mortgage has probably gone down by more than £150 (per month) so there's nothing to worry about (assuming your job is safe!)

I expect that happy hours in Brit-friendly resorts will become "happy 4 hours" and the net alcohol consumption per pound will be roughly the same.

Don't worry, your irreversible liver damage is still guaranteed.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
aw-hicks wrote:
I dont get why everyone moans about this I really dont - I willingly spend up to 80 notes over here on a night out and over in frog land that will get you up to 12 beers easy and prob a chaser or 2 for good measure

I don't really go out so spending £80 on booze isn't really on my radar. Would rather spend £80 on a good meal for two and a few cheeky beers afterwards to just get the converation flowing. At the point when i can't talk I know I'm in for a bad day when i wake up!! Smile

Anyway, that's what weed was invented for - you have a good time on a night without any of the after effects of booze the morning after....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd rather spend £80 on groceries for the week for two.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
aw-hicks wrote:
I dont get why everyone moans about this I really dont - I willingly spend up to 80 notes over here on a night out and over in frog land that will get you up to 12 beers easy and prob a chaser or 2 for good measure,

Who needs more alcohol than that after all we do have to get up to do what we went on holiday for,..........

The moan isn't particularly aboutthe price of alcohol, it is a more general moan about resort prices.

It is just that a pint of beer is more or less the same thing wherever you go in Europe, so is easy to use as a price comparator. Anything else you may not be comparing like with like, or may be comparing somehing that not many people buy often.

I certainly don't drink enough for that price to be a significant factor in overall cost of the trip, and I suspect most who post here are the same, except when on a "lads trip" (and I rather think that snowHead bashes class as "lads trips").
snow report
I always buy a pitcher and share it, I think it is either 1.5 or 2 litres and in the bar I use and is €10.00.
ski holidays
Earlier this year at Easter in Val D'Allos I was paying around €4.00 per beer, to me thats cheap ................. I live in Dublin and we've had the €5 - €6 pint for a long time ................... but I'll only drink the odd beer at any time - its bad for you !!!!

Coffee has to be the biggest rip off there is ........... and thats a whole new discussion !!
snow conditions
Quote:

aw-hicks, I agree with you. Just take a rich mummy and daddy, who take their little darlings out of their expensive schools for one week's skiing. Pure spending money wise, they'll probably spend 1.5k. So even with 30% drop in sterling, that typical, upper middle-class couple will only be spending an extra monkey. F-all when compared to their household income. But fock me, don't they whine about it! People don't know when they're well off.

Nice generalisation! Personally I couldn't care less what other people spend their money on as, and this might be difficult for you to grasp so stick with it, it is THEIR money!
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
queen bodecia wrote:
But I never buy beer!
Tightwad

€2.5-3.5 on the hill in Ski Amade Very Happy

Not a tightwad as such, I just don't like beer. So I guess I'm going to get fleeced dry on wine and spirits this season... rolling eyes
snow report
Barometer in Meribel = 8 euros for a pint of Amstel/ 10 euros for a pint of Mutzig.

On New Year's Eve prices at least double so a pint of Mutzig will set you back about 25 euros.... Not really sure what I'm doing sitting at a desk when I could be running a bar in the French Alps and raking in the GDP of a small country each evening.
ski holidays
Tommy4681 wrote:
Barometer in Meribel = 8 euros for a pint of Amstel/ 10 euros for a pint of Mutzig.

On New Year's Eve prices at least double so a pint of Mutzig will set you back about 25 euros.... Not really sure what I'm doing sitting at a desk when I could be running a bar in the French Alps and raking in the GDP of a small country each evening.

According to the BBC news, the Brits aren't to keen on handing over GDP's this season. Shelling out 60 quid for a crappy cafe type lunch for a family of 4 is starting to p's Joe Public off. We certainly noticed the difference in the Dolomites last week. Lunches and sundries for the two of us and our 3 teenages probably added £6-700 to the cost of the trip. Sad
snow conditions
awksquawk wrote:
Quote:

Nice generalisation! Personally I couldn't care less what other people spend their money on as, and this might be difficult for you to grasp so stick with it, it is THEIR money!

Could give two shiots what people spend their money. Just get fed up with well orf types who don't know when they're well orf.
snow report
That's an entire potato on your shoulder, if I'm not mistaken.
snow report
Quote:

Could give two shiots what people spend their money.

Oh, ok well you must inadvertently be doing a very good impression of someone who has a major issue with other people's money. My apologies for getting it wrong.
snow report
awksquawk wrote:
Quote:

Oh, ok well you must inadvertently be doing a very good impression of someone who has a major issue with other people's money. My apologies for getting it wrong.

If I am coming across like that, then it's probably to do with all the poverty in the world. Starving children seem to complain less than a city worker who has to pay 500 quid more in spending money on his skiing holiday.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 23-12-08 16:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Ludicrous mention of starving children. +50 'self importance points'.

Going well.
snow conditions
paulio, don't tell me, tears at bedtime because your skiing holiday spending money doesn't go far enough. Boo hoo!
ski holidays
PJSki wrote:
awksquawk wrote:
Quote:

If I am coming across like that, then it's probably to do with all the poverty in the world. Starving children seem to complain less than a city worker who has to pay 500 quid more in spending money on his skiing holiday.

That's probabl;y because most starving children don't have access to web forums to complain on rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hilariously, I predicted your use of the phrase 'boo hoo' in another thread, earlier.
snow report
PJSki, Hey timmy, still enjoy a spot of fishing I see NehNeh
snow report
Quote:

Well we are on a skiing forum to be fair and not a third world aid forum. I would imagine that your £250 budget trip this year would also go a long way to feeding starving people but I assume you are not forgoing it despite your obvious and admirable concern for starving children. Probably a debate for another forum in all honesty PJSki although a worthy cause nonetheless.
snow conditions
paulio wrote:
Hilariously, I predicted your use of the phrase 'boo hoo' in another thread, earlier.

Good to see we have a few old gypsy women looking into the future.
ski holidays
Back on topic, just been charged €8.40 for a large and a small beer at the Skilt in Les Menuires. Previously paid €6 for two large beers in Le Mousse during Happy Hour (6pm to 8pm).

PJSki, This is an open forum and there is merit in your views, but they're not really relevant in this thread; if you feel that strongly about them, start a thread of your own Very Happy .
snow report
johnnyboy wrote:
Back on topic, just been charged €8.40 for a large and a small beer at the Skilt in Les Menuires.
Was in that particular establishment early part of last week and we (around 20 of us) could have bought a small house on what we handed over for mediocre Stella and scruffy surroundings. (The Guinness was OK apparently). The bogs were a total disgrace and the British staff clearly not fussed about offering any kind of service... had to keep running off to find a server rather than them get busy looking after us. And this is the beginning of the season when staff are hopefully enthusiastic. I know it's only beer but these guys need waking up.
latest report
johnnyboy, just talkin' about the price of beer.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 24-12-08 1:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
johnnyboy, thread title has the word debate in it. If you take out PJSki's posts where is the actual debate Toofy Grin
snow report
Bode Swiller, I feel your pain. That's about the time I likes to take direct action.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 24-12-08 1:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
rich, well, you'd be talkin' about a bunch of good ol' boys agreein' with each other, in that case.
snow conditions
paulio wrote:
Ludicrous mention of starving children. +50 'self importance points'.

Going well.

No prob, I never feel bad about pointing out to peeps like U, just how lucky U are. Now U have a very Merry and Decadent X-mas.
snow conditions
Back on topic (again)

Just got back home:

50cl draught beer CHF6.50
50cl bottled beer CHF5

Rocks Bar (one of the nicer places), Wengen.

CHF5 = £3.33 @ CHF1.5 / £
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy