Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jackson Hole 2008/9

Poster: A snowHead
11 inches overnight last night - but it is still filling holes on the hill, where the base doesn't look quite as good as last year at this time. Hobacks not open yet. But great snow up in rendezvous and tensleep bowl. Cheyenne looking thin.

And the new tram [cable-car in europe...] is good (opened a few days ago).

Still snowing now - could be a good few days. Tower 3 and other steep bits look like they could open soon

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 27-12-08 2:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snow-Forecast has it looking good for a while...

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Jackson-Hole/6day/top
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Man they've been dying for snow. Guys at TGR must be some happy powder piggy's now Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stoatsbrother, you might want to check in on this one, looks like they got more than you though! http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139486&page=8

Going green
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stoatsbrother, cheers for the report. We're over there at the end of January, not been before so can't wait...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Billy M wrote:
stoatsbrother, cheers for the report. We're over there at the end of January, not been before so can't wait...

You are in for a treat but bring your A-game there. And if you get a chance go over the pass to Grand Targhee and ski there. They get a ton of snow. Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JB007 wrote:

You are in for a treat but bring your A-game there. And if you get a chance go over the pass to Grand Targhee and ski there. They get a ton of snow. Very Happy

I'm off with Billy M come 24th Jan and appreciate the tips, JB007 and the reports stoatsbrother... all sounds cracking.

We're heading to Big Sky first for a few days... no idea how that compares to JH having not been there either, but should dust some of that rust off hopefully!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JB007, agreed - targee is great although I haven't been since my wife got lost in a tree well there 10yrs ago...

Did get her back Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well - 14 inches overnight, more falling as we speak, and nice and cold.

Thanks Santa snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great stuff. Just thought I'd have a wee check of the webcams to end my Christmas day and very pleased to see how white it is all now looking. And even more pleased having checked the forecast - snow, snow and more snow!!

JB007, yeah as the fat man said, we plan a visit there as well. Flying into Bozeman and out of Jackson Hole, so the idea is to visit Big Sky, Grand Targhee and Jackson Hole. Can't wait, and keeping fingers and toes crossed for lots of powder.

stoatsbrother, did you put her there?!?!?!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jackson Hole ALWAYS delivers.... even a bad year there is more snow than a good year in Europe. In fact the "average" year of 400 inches (1000cm) is better than even the best seasons in Val D'isere (94/95 and 98/99) to put it into perspective.

Then you get years like last year where they averaged 18cm of new snow everyday Laughing 1500cm of snow in a season.

Love the place and if it wasn't for the cost of taking the kids i'd be there again this year.

Looks liked it's dumped a good 15inches or so again today too Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alex A, Well today we have had almost too much. Still snowing perfect dry powder even in town. They could not open half the hill today, but my 12 year old sprog still got his first hip deep powder on the edge of a blue run. Should go past 170 inches total this season tonight.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alex A,
Quote:

Jackson Hole ALWAYS delivers

It delivered top to bottom rain on my visit. Puzzled

Still I'm sure it's better than average and sounds like stoatsbrother, is having great conditions. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="T Bar"]Alex A,
Quote:

Jackson Hole ALWAYS delivers

It delivered top to bottom rain on my visit. Puzzled
quote]

When did you go?

I've done the first two weeks of Feb 3 times now and it snowed about 30 out of 42 days Laughing You must have been very unlucky... My first visit it snowed 12 days in a row and whilst great powder skiing we did crave a sunny day. That happened the day we left. Still my last 3 years in Europe have been the opposite and been sunny and icy all week and snowed the day we left ! I know which i'd choose Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145198 Slides at Jackson? Doesn't look good.. hope everything pans out better than it appears.
ski holidays
arv, Sadly not. I was just about to enter Tower 3 when they closed it. My wife saw them digging, looking up to see where I was going to be coming down. One fatality is what I heard - a local skiing the bit between tower 3 and paintbrush into toilet bowl. I have skied near there many many times... They shut the whole higher mountain down immediately.

It is a pretty gnarly hill - but this is a lot of inbounds avalanche activity. We have had a lot of snow here which is good, and the Patrol has been really careful about opening things up slowly. Certainly yesterday and the day before they only got half the mountain open - despite being on the howitzer from 3am I am told.

Scary...
snow conditions
Really brings it home Confused Sad
snow conditions
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/News/2008/12/27/Two-In-Bounds-Avalanches-at-Wyomings-Jackson-Hole-Ski-Resort-Claim-One-Life/
snow conditions
This is terrible news.... thoughts go out to the skiers family etc... Sad Tragic... can't believe this earoy season in NA.
ski holidays
Temperature has heated up, mega-slides all over the hill in places where you just would not expect it. All but beginners slopes have been completely closed down, and ambulances and search and rescue are on the scene. Sad
snow conditions
Alex A,
Quote:

When did you go?

Jan/Feb '95 I think.

Went for three weeks, great conditions on arrival, but then got very warm (Spring snow on the Hobacks) followed by rain. We then got a decent fall of snow but with ice underneath it I missed a turn and had an argument with a tree and lost. Very sore ribs curtailed my skiing for the final week. Crying or Very sad

Would love to go back again but can't really afford it as I would have to take the family. Still I love skiing Europe and can't complain about the conditions I generally have had since taking the family.

stoatsbrother,
Horrible news. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Another avalanche today at Jackson Hole - which entered the Bridger restaurant at the top of the gondola (maybe trapping someone temporarily - the company is keeping very quiet). Whole place was closed down and wet snow fell all day. Luckily it seems nobody died (like 2 days ago). I don't really like their attitude to avalanches here at all.

Overall JH seems quite crowded on the main "runs" - which were often soft moguls - not good for some. A bad sign is there is snow making in places even though 2m of snow has fallen recently.
latest report
kirk, Puzzled

The avalanche today was - according to jhavalanche.org - and information easily available from staff members before we left the hill - triggered by the patrols attempts to control headwall etc, and the main effect was on one of the patrol huts - in which as least one patroller was trapped and later rescued. I was on the hill this am with my kids and I think JHMR were completely and totally responsible in both wanting to make the mountain safe before they allowed people up Bridger Gondola, and then closing the mountain when it was clear they could not make it safe. At one point there was a fear that that the avalanche had ruptured a gas pipe, hence some of the huge number of ambulances that arrived as a precaution.

The avalanche a few days ago was different and was skier triggered inbounds - which is pretty well unheard of in JH. The patrol found him and dug him out within 10 minutes of the slide - despite it being 200 yards long.

I would like to know how exactly you think they should have handled these situations?

The combination of a steep hill, late base formation, oscillating temperatures in the last 3 weeks, heavy snow in the last week and then a really warm spell in the last 24 hours is a nightmare. Kudos to the patrol on their dealing with this.
snow report
stoatsbrother is correct according the below. See official statement below made at 4pm yesterday by the resort. The Patrollers at JH are some of the best in the world and 3 were buried yesterday in the line of duty. Big respect to them. The only part that confuses me is that they clearly didn't think that the avalanche was going to come down on top of the restuarant and hut as the people buried were sitting outside the back of the hut and also in the hut. Given the huge avalanche of 1986 i'm suprised if it was routine blasting they didn't clear the way below?

(Jackson Hole, Wyoming, December 29, 2008 4:00pm MST) At approximately 9:26 am this morning routine avalanche hazard reduction work by Jackson Hole Mountain Resort (JHMR) Ski Patrol triggered an avalanche of significant size down the southeast aspect of an area at JHMR referred to as the Headwall. The Headwall which had not been open to the public this season to date and was not expected to open in the near future, consists of steep, expert terrain.

The slide descended from the top of the Headwall, and a second slide was triggered, which continued down to the base of the run reaching the west and south sides of the building that houses three resort restaurants, causing considerable non-structural damage to the building.

This incident took place prior to the Bridger Gondola being open to the public, but a number of JHMR operational employees were in the vicinity. A search for potential victims was conducted and by 10:06am, all JHMR employees were accounted for.

Following the incident a decision was made to close the resort temporarily while further avalanche hazard reduction work took place. Lower mountain lifts were quickly re-opened. At this time the upper mountain remains closed while Ski Patrol continues its avalanche hazard reduction routines in an attempt to get the resort re-opened as quickly and safely as possible.

Due to the significant snowfall received in the Teton region (62 inches in past seven days), we have received a request from our partners at Bridger Teton National Forest to close the OB gates into the surrounding backcountry. JHMR will honor this request and close all our gates into the backcountry until further notice.

"Our patrollers have done a phenomenal job showing the utmost professionalism and teamwork. I am extremely proud of their efforts and appreciate the risks they take on a daily basis. I also want to acknowledge our entire staff under these challenging circumstances” stated Jerry Blann, President, JHMR.

Jackson Hole Mountain Resort has established standards and protocols for minimizing the risk of avalanche that are based on the current weather and snowpack conditions. Jackson Hole Mountain Resort receives over 400 inches of snow annually and is dedicated to making the skiing and riding as safe as possible for our guests. Avalanche conditions change hour-by-hour and day-by-day. JHMR Ski Patrol continuously monitors elements of the weather and snowpack conditions 24 hours a day throughout the winter and uses this information to continually assess potential hazards.

We acknowledge and are grateful for the quick response of the community including the Teton County Sheriff's Department, Teton County Search and Rescue and USFS.
ski holidays
Cheers for the copy/paste, Alex A
snow report
any idea of the cost of a lift pass? I'm off to Jackson in Feb. Just need to budget for the two of us... any advice on ski lessons and who to go for?
snow report
Official Prices here: http://www.jacksonhole.com/info/ski.tickets.lift.all.asp

6-day Pass with this lot http://www.getskitickets.com/wy/jackson-hole-ski-lift-tickets.htm is $406, saving a whole $2 on the above

Probably worth checking with your hotel/accomodation as well as often in the states you can get 10-15% discount on the lift ticket if you get it through them
ski holidays
ouch! that hurts! Darn the credit crunch! wink Phew- that seems expensive
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tbanting, ski independence do discount deals including free kids passes. The ski school is good but with the current exchange rate is very expensive
ski holidays
kirk,

Here's a video of the crowded mogully main runs from New Year many moons ago....in my experience they were very quiet and well pisted....

http://youtube.com/v/X1fibj0Vglc

The moguls aren't marked runs on the piste map...
The powder run is a piste down from the Gondola...

cheers.

greg
latest report
Warm day today. Still only half the hill open, more snow on the way.
ski holidays
So has anyone got news of the current avalanche danger level at Jackson Hole? We were hoping to do a bit of back country when we are there in 9 days, but heard that backcountry skiing had been banned - or is that out of date?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 22-01-09 11:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
http://www.jacksonhole.net/avalanche-backcountry-report.htm
snow report
Has anyone been reading about the recent Earthquakes/Seismic activity in Jackson Hole?

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=79031
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy