Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What ski's to buy???

Poster: A snowHead
Hey I'm 5'9 and a lardie (19st) am about a level 6-7 going off snow and rocks ability guide. Mainly ski piste but am experimenting with freestyle and off piste and am unsure of what ski's would be best for me? I skied K2 Pe's a couple of years ago and liked them, any suggestions? budget of about 450 with bindings.

any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 23-12-08 12:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
4FRNT MSP; 19 Stones? Better make it the 187. Pretty stiff, pretty fat.. will work in the park/off piste and you'll still be able to rip around on the groomers. (Maybe even the STL which is quite stiff compared to other park type skis and a bit skinnier should the MSP be a bit chunky for you)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ellis Brigham dont seem to stock the STL on their website but the MSP is available for £508ish, if you are a member of the SCGB (or know someone who is) you get 10% off that so it slides down to your price range.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cool I'll have a look/try of those pretty sure my dads a member of scgb so thats price sorted !Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
aren't the msps 520 ski only..so you got to factor in bindings on top.

scott punishers 192 or line prophet 90s come in cheaper
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PEs are now the Extreme so worth having a look at those. They're 370 with bindings at EB.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
papasmurf, no. The dude is 19 stones, I would imagine the other 2 may be too soft?

anotherproblem, a buddy of mine spent last season on them, he was about your size (not quite as heavy but 6'4'') and loved them. One of the stiffer all mountain twins about.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah but they're closer to budget, I got eh punishers and they're pretty stiff..I'm 16stone.

maybe a question of how much freestyle you gonna do, and maybe look at some of the semi twin all mountain skis like monsters or something from movement et al maybe
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeh Tommy have looked at the extreme, at snow and rock they are 410 with bindings so nice to hear they are cheaper at eb Happy only thing is i really don't like those "retro" graphics! Could do with trying to find the PE's I think lol.

Papasmurf thanks for the reply, I have been looking at punishers but am struggling to find out how good they would be on piste?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
papasmurf, I was under the impression punishers were just missions with a *slightly softer tail and was also under the impression that the Mission was pretty damn soft (having skied nor flexed either).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
where did my post go...?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
over there >>>>>>>>>>

Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FWIW... You find the speed limit on the Punishers before the Missions if you ski the same lenght.....but then neither are speed machines anyway.

I tend to stay away from TT's unless you want the park element.. the tails take some getting used to and let go bit too early when tanking it due to the diminished lenght ............
and at 19 stones, they
need to be LONG.. I can't see Punsisher working in this instance.

A monster 88 would be a place to start but the OP's stats
make everything more of a compromise IMO
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers all! Still undecided but have a bit of a better idea now!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
anotherproblem, yep the extreme's graphics are a bid marmite. Why not have a look around for last season's PEs? Meant to be the same ski without the toughened up top sheet. Reckon you could defo find some bargains on those. I got my 07/08 PEs a few months ago with bindings for 220.
snow conditions
damn that seems cheap! where'd you get hold of those?
ski holidays
anotherproblem, YOU WANT 4FRNTS Laughing wink
latest report
arv, you seem adamant about this lol. If I can get PE's for that price I'd be a VERY happy man!
ski holidays
anotherproblem, I am all for the "smaller" manufacturers, especially when they make skis like that. Plus I think the PE's are the worst looking skis ever made.

I think last years MSP's are probably the coolest skis I have ever layed eyes on (apart from this years EHP's Laughing Laughing ) it does remain important that they match your boots. ALso this years ARV's (see username) are meant to be quite a bit stiffer than last years (8% but I am not sure how that can be quantifiable) so may be worth a look.

161 / 171 / 181 / 187
snow report
they are indeedy lovely looking skis Very Happy

i'd get them on looks alone... even if they ski rubbish, they'll look all nice and pretty when lent up against the wall outside the mountian restaurant Very Happy
snow report
shoogly, thats all that matters anyway isn't it ? Very Happy
snow conditions
arv, Superb graphics..depends how robust that top sheet is tho...looks like it may scratch easily and fatally...

panic in the lift queues Shocked
snow conditions
JT, lift queues, in Canada? Ha!

Seriously though, no issues were noticed in a 2 month period (not my skis). No chipping, light scratches are to be expected I guess.
snow report
I'm a little bigger than anotherproblem, and my current skis are:
rock ski- rossi z5 176
everyday ski- head monster im88 186
new not mounted yet - scott punisher 192

I rented Scott Mission 183's at the Eosb and loved them. I guess I'm about 7 on that scale too....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy