Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help a skier out - protective equipment for a first-time boarder

Poster: A snowHead
For a first-time boarder, who already has a helmet and is a competent skier, what would you recommend first? It's for a girl, if that makes a difference.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wrist guards. Then bum protection. Then knee protection. Then elbow protection.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you got the cash to splash then wrist guards, impact shorts then back protector.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hyweljenkins, therapy, to keep her from going over to the Dark Side.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
vetski, be nice Confused
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not sure that I believe in any of it.

Keeping your COG low should make any falls minor risks until you get a feel for your weight distribution.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Padded shorts first. Wrist guards are not universally liked.....................

A sore ar$e is universally disliked, but padded shorts won't protect you from the sliding fall where it feels like you had a pineapple suppository................

Then maybe back protector if you graduate off piste. Too much gear just becomes a nuisance, and you end up feeling like a skier.

The best protective equipment lies between your ears.

John.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

padded shorts won't protect you from the sliding fall where it feels like you had a pineapple suppository................

Right. I found that a few of those meant I learnt to chuck myself over onto a hip, rather than just sitting on the coccyx. I think you learn to fall without putting your hands out and endangering wrists, too - but as a beginner it's almost irresistible.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Full body armour, it hurts when you fall over if the pistes are hard. I wear my mountain bike gear under baggy clothes. Always wondered why they invented such baggy stuff to wear, now I know.

Serioursly, it depends on how much pain she can take. She is going to fall and it does hurt. You will get a sore bum, hips, forarms, head, knees. But to much gear can get in the way. As you get older you become more brittle. I wear a lot more protection now than I use to 5 years ago. God I sound old.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowcrazy, old? you've no idea . . . I've bits that haven't work for so long that I no longer care why . . or even what use they were for when they did . . . and even if I was competent in their use?

hyweljenkins, Helmet good, hard pants next, knee protectors for the first week or two or until she stops catching her toe edge (nasty on the knees) and they make all the kneeling around while learning more comfortable. I wear a back protector simply because I don't fall on my butt but on my back, spreading the impact. I'm not a particular fan of rigid wrist guards but gloves with semi-rigid supports built in are a good compromise.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How old are you guys?

I'm 45 just gone, and due to what I do am now considering a back protector, maybe full upper body lightweight MX under jacket.

I always wear a lid and shorts now.

You do become more aware of your vulnerability as the clock ticks, but going into it as a learner I wouldn't go mad with gear. Not on the average piste, anyways. If you're that concerned about the knocks, maybe snowboarding's not the best choice...............

You get the impression the people who benefit mostly from some of the safety stuff sold are the vendors.

John, 45 1/4
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BCjohnny, yer just a nipper . . . I find that armoured pants are superb at keeping my adult diapers nice and snug Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
C'mon then, gramps, how many tree rings........................................?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BCjohnny, a decade+
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good on yeh.............
snow report
Does it matter what sort of knee pads? A lot of the boarder specific ones are approaching triple figure prices.

As a serious question, would gel DIY type ones be suitable - I'm guessing they'd move too much.
latest report
I used cheap skateboarding ones, from a French sports supermarket. They weren't very comfortable, but after a few falls the pain takes your mind off the itching from the velcro straps. wink
snow conditions
glowman, There are loads of cheap ones in any tool supplier. from simple foam ones to hard caps. all at less than a Tenner. They'll do the job at basic protection at learning speeds.
ski holidays
Get soft volleyball type kneepads - they are the most comfy. No point getting hard ones if they will be under your troozers, is there?
latest report
knee pads? Dear god. Why not just wear your trousers the wrong way around as well, complete the look.
I give wrist guards with every board I rent out, not everyone takes them but I havent had a return due to a broken wrist yet (touch wood Smile )

Quote:

Keeping your COG low should make any falls minor risks until you get a feel for your weight distribution

I've yet to see a beginner with a low centre of gravity.
Catching an edge happens to the best of us, I had it happen on friday carving hard switch, wouldnt mind but my apparantley broken rib from last week didnt like it that much.
latest report
Helmet, impact pants!, wrist guards knee pads oh and a willingness to fall on every part of your body that isnt protected by any of these!

As a beginner you will be sat on your back bottom or knees a lot, so apart from the 'protection' you can also keep the cold at bay for a little while.

Masque, BCjohnny, - i come in at a mere 42yrs and 6 days..... were you skiers before and wanted to see what the 'darker side' looked liked? Skullie
latest report
Better sense of balance and some patience! Well thats what I needed I've been skiing for about 6 years, tried boarding last week and spent all day falling over :-/. personally sticking to skiing lol
snow conditions
boardbiker, Boarder first (early 40's), had a really big off about 6 years ago and basically had to start all over again after a year off. Now skied for about 4 weeks so far after having severed an Achilles in the first week, have moved on to include telemark and telemark-board.
snow conditions
Last week whilst snowboarding I landed so hard on my coccyx that I now have two fully functioning anuses.

So I would recommend something to protect your lower back.
ski holidays
Quote:
Masque, BCjohnny, - i come in at a mere 42yrs and 6 days..... were you skiers before and wanted to see what the 'darker side' looked liked? Skullie

Shsk.............only a pup then wink

Started skiing at thirty three, went with all skiing group, after about 20 lessons at Telford. Courmayeur, good snow, graded a four star plus after one week. Shocked

So first season two weeks skiing, second season three days skiing (boarded last three days), and apart from when I had a week in Whistler skiing due to cr*p snow, (the first week on my board) had the odd day here and there.

Boarding to me was much more of a challenge than skiing, and nearly gave up. But it felt more "right", and very few things beat me..............

Probably go back to skiing when the punishment gets too much. Sometimes when the snow's a bit slick I'd love a day on skis ( Embarassed ).

John.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy