Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

That foam thing in your boots

Poster: A snowHead
My hubby wants to go to S&R at the weekend to get that treatment done to his boots, where they fill them with foam and it moulds to the shape of your foot. We already have the moulded insoles but he needs the extra ankle support.
Anyone already got this done, what do you reckon to it - is it really worth the money??????????

ta!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You'd be better to go to Profeet.
And yes, it is worthwhile.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey, WTFH!

I would say, "it may be worthwhile." My reason for concern is that foam liners have a couple of interesting downsides: First, they tend to break down more over time (not pack out, mind you, but break down) than standard liner foam. Second, when one's feet change (and our's all do to a greater or lesser degree), the foam doesn't and may get pretty uncomfortable.

In 33 years of skiing I have only been foamed once. I suspect that the guys who foamed me were not the best around ('twas in San Jose, CA, not up at a mountain), but they were probably OK. However, those boots did not fit me particularly well, and the foaming didn't make me more comfortable in them.

Interestingly, the most comfortable boots I've ever worn are the pair I have now. They have very thin liners (less than half of the average thickness) and the boot shell fits very close to my foot. But, no pressure points, I ski in them all day (even teaching kids!) without unbuckling.

So, all of that said, when you say he "needs the extra ankle support," what do you mean? Is his ankle moving around in the boots? If so, how is it moving and when? There will always exist an ability to move the ankle around in the boot if you make certain movements with feet and legs. But, a thicker liner will not make up for a shell that doesn't fit close enough to the foot.

What boots does he have?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd second that, I used to use foamed boots, but my current pair, non-foamed, are more comfortable and more flexible. Some outer shells are better for foaming than others, you really need to find an expert boot fitter but I'd check out exactly why extra ankle support is needed before going for foam injection. My take is, that it's only racers or people with very oddly shaped feet who would need it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I cant spell it, but its something like Raikkonen or Rosignnel boots (that doesnt look right, might post from home when they are right in front of me) - he has fairly wide feet and tiny thin ankles, plus bunions!!!! (and I wear stillettos but my feet are fine!!!). The guys at S&R stand at the exhibition in Olympia were very helpful and the insoles have been great for both of us but he found last trip, that he was getting the up and down movement in the ankle, but if he tried to do them up tighter the pressure was too great across the widest part of the foot.
He does spend a lot of time messing around with his settings, I think he should let the boots relax a bit over the week but he is always moaning about them. I do know his feet are the weirdest shape, unfortunately our son seems to have inherited them too.......
I just dont want to waste the money just because he has decided its another new fad that he JUST HAS to have.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This sort of question has come up before, it may be possible to add padding between the shell and the inner boot arround the ankle which might solve the problem, alternatively the foamed inners will work but I think he will be lucky if they last more than 3 years, the foam always seems to break down more rapidly than in normal boots plus your feet slowly change and those foam liners become uncomfortable .
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone had experience with the Zip Fit liners, which use cork in oil to mold to the shape of your feet. I presume they don't break down and will change with your feet.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ssh, I stand corrected!
Yes, you are right, they "may" be worthwhile.
One thing I would say is that S&R are NOT the place to go for liners.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marc wrote:
Anyone had experience with the Zip Fit liners, which use cork in oil to mold to the shape of your feet.

Cork oil? are you sure it's not snake oil? Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Very Happy Could be, could be. It's a high viscosity oil which has cork particles in it.

Because the viscosity is high it flows, but very very slowly. The cork gives insulation, comfort etc.

Theory sounds OK, just never spoken to anyone who uses them.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marc, the ZipFits have a good rep around here, so may be an option, but they are not particularly able to make up for an over-wide shell in the ankle area.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fruity, I assume it's "Rossignol". These are not particularly narrow boots (in the heel). Might I suggest a couple of possibilities in '05 boots? Either the new Tecnica Diablo series or the new Atomic race boot (keep in mind, these are both next year's models!). They have the shape your husband's feet have (narrow heel, wide forefoot). Definitely worth considering.

The foam may be able to fill the gaps in the ankle, but he'll not get the performance that he wants. It will be a "hack," not a real fix. The real fix is to find a boot with a shell that maps very closely to the foot shape.

Another possibility that may work until he can get new boots is to build up the foam over the instep (the lower tongue), getting it to pretty solidly on his instep so that closing the instep buckle effectively presses his foot into the footbed. This has a number of very positive advantages, and some of the balance experts that I have been working with this season say that this is the most important element of effective skiing: having the instep "pre-loaded" inside the boot.

Note, too, that a tendency to "get back" on the rear cuff of the boot will cause any boot to allow the foot to slide. I now use this as a cue that I'm not in balance and not pressing my tips down the backside of the bumps (where this usually effects me).

I hope that this helps. I would, personally, strongly advise against the foam liner.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Does anybody have experience of buying replacement foam liners for old boots?

I have a perfectly fitting shell, but the liners have given out after 18 weeks skiing. (Salomon, about 7 years old).

Like ssh, I have reservations, about blowing a moulded liner having experienced the warmth and comfort of a good standard liner.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You may be able to get a good speciality shop to order a new stock liner for that boot from Salomon. Alternatively, there are a couple of after-market liners (like the Zip Fit mentioned on this thread) that do a good job, too. A number of the instructors I know have pulled their new stock liners out of their new boots and replaced them immediately with the Zip Fit or Comfort Fit aftermarket liners.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Strolz do a very good quality foam liner that can be put into other boots. Strolz also make a whole range of different shells for unusual feet. (thin ankles, bunions etc)

A guy I skied with in St Anton had large bunions the boot fitter advised him to go with Strolz. Any boot he took would need to be blow out to accommodate the bunions but whereas many other shells tend to retract back Strolz doesn't.

Strolz are not cheap, they are not super flashy with gimmicks and there are better shells if your feet will fit into them. Strolz may well be good for your husband.

http://www.strolz.at/english/gesamt.htm
latest report
Right I have it on my knee!

Its a Raichle shell fit performance (if thats part of the name??) with the markings X-Act all over the buckles. A swiss carver apparently. Bought at the Olympia exhibition in 99, but only worn 3 times since new. (ie 3 weeks)

Knew it began with an R!

Mine are Salomon Evolution 8s. I love my boots..... bought at the same time.

We both have those moulded in soles which have helped me tremendously. My boots feel like slippers!

Thanks for the advice about different brands to buy, but he isnt having ANY new ones until he breaks these. They cost him a packet (about £200 if I remember).
snow report
200 isn't much for a pair of boots, I don't think. Look for a pair of Zip Fit liners. They were made by Raichle before Raichle's assets were sold, so they should fit into his boots fine.

I still wouldn't go with a custom liner.
ski holidays
He corrected me and said they were closer to £275 but anyway....... thanks for the tip SSH I think u just saved us some money! Where could we get these Zip Fit liners? We only really have this weekend to mess around.. we fly early hrs of next Saturday......
snow report
Would there be a place at your destination (I don't remember where you're headed if you posted in the trips forum...)?

They are now distributed by Dalbello (at least in the US)--see ZipFit's web site.
snow conditions
Thanks Steve, we are off to a little place called Passo Tonale in Italy..... so if we fail to get anything sorted Saturday we will def. try the local ski shops whilst out there (or he will moan continually and I will have to push him off the lift.) Cool
snow report
Don't let me stop you! Twisted Evil

BTW, you might want to e-mail the ZipFit guys to see if they know where you might look while you're there (or even in Surrey!).
snow conditions
I had Strolz foam inners successfully put into my old and awful foamed Dynafit boots many years back. Much improved the boot, but it wasn't perfect. I now have a pair of Strolz foamed boots (inner plus shell) and these are great, after many years of boot problems. My feet are fairly flat, narrow ankle and low forefoot. I would definately consider Strolz boots, best fitted in Lech at their shop, or at Grindelwald where they have a good fitter too. So far they have lasted well (3 years).
snow conditions
Well we went to S&R on Saturday and I have to say, for the mighty price of £6 they blew out his boots (er wot?) and fitted something on the back of his innerboot at the ankle, like a tight band. It appears to have worked. The man also told me that I am doing mine up too tight (I get cramp a lot in my toes and did not realise its all about the mid point ankle buckle, I have always overtightened the buckle over my toes). So, he did us a massive favour......

snow time!!!!! rock and roll.. (7am Saturday morning flight) snowHead
snow conditions
Can anyone tell me what blowing out boots is? Or what the tight ankle band is likely to be?
latest report
Fruity, He blew out the boot to make it tighter? ARGH! Evil or Very Mad

David Steven, "blowing out" means to stretch the boots, usually to accommodate unusual foot shapes or a need for additional space. I suspect, in this case, they may have stretched it so that they could fit more in there to tighten it back up. I view this as a hack job (American for "quick fix" or "probably won't last but should work for a while"). But, if it gets the job done in the short term, perhaps that's all he needs.
latest report
David,
Boots are plastic blowing own the boot means strecthing the plastic (to accommodate bunions, ankle bones etc). Some boots retract back over time, Strolz don't. Ankle band - I think fruity is referring to shims of material that boot fitters put inside boots to tighten up areas.
snow report
He blew the front out, to accomodate hubbys bunion, the side was pressing....sounded quite drastic to me, but thats def. what he said.... he fitted some material thing that clamps on the outside of the inner boot at the ankle and tightens it .... god knows what it was called. By the looks of the prices I would expect him to be edging to a new pair for next year....... in fact, a couple of pairs took my fancy too.

Our son was also measured, but he only needs the diddy ones.....
ski holidays
Fruity, OK, that makes more sense. Thanks.

Yeah, the additional material will help in the shop, at least. It may turn into pressure points when skiing; you'll only know once you ski on them. Consider shopping while you're in the mountains!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy