Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Poor Sterling/Euro rate prompts cancellation of DIY ski trip!

Poster: A snowHead
Ghost Dog, €3.50 to €4 for a pint.

Oh, and minesweeping is just clearing up everyone elses unfinished drinks!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 24-12-08 12:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dave Canski wrote:
My favourite bar in Bansko Bulgaria has just increased its beer price to €1 for a large 500 cl beer. I am not happy as in the summer it was €0.60. Thats 5 times the beer for your money as in Cervinia earlier this month. Oh and I think the Bansko skiing is superior. Off for the season on Boxing day. Just need snow now . Puzzled

I knew there had to be a catch, no snow! wink Laughing

Hope you get some soon!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andytb wrote:
Oh, and minesweeping is just clearing up everyone elses unfinished drinks!
no, that's amateur minesweeping.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dave Canski wrote:
...in Cervinia earlier this month. Oh and I think the Bansko skiing is superior. Off for the season on Boxing day. Just need snow now . Puzzled

I'd take snow and €5 beer over no snow and €1 beer every time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes Fenland so would I but it will come soon. We had soooooo much snow in Cervinia the problem is that it is just not shared out evenly.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Drinking beer in France has always been an expensive option.

The French drink their beer by the demi (250ml). And they let their demi last them all afternoon. So €3 for an afternoon's drinking i.e. £2 is a cheap afternoon in the bar. Even at £3, that's not an expensive afternoon.

Yet up turn the lardy boys, who want to drink 10 pints of largoh! £60.

And you wonder why the French look on in bemusement... as they rub their hands.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller wrote:

(1) Just spend the amount your mortgage has gone down by.

My SVR with Egg hasn't changed since May so that won't help.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You not been near a TV set lately......I wish my £2 was worth 3€uros still!!! Laughing

Anyone that sits all afternoon in a bar with a sub half-pint should be charged more for getting warm for free and taking up space!!!

Austria for the beer lovers is the answer!!! Nicer people and nicer beer!!! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kruisler wrote:
it amazes me that about 90% of the threads relating to the rising cost of skiing in Europe have used the cost of a pint to illustrate the issue...I would have thought that e.g. the cost of lift passes would more important, yet the pint is what seems to preoccupy the great great majority of people..

Yes, lift passes are expensive, but unless you want to skin up, you have no real alternative. A 3valley lift pass works out about £40 - £45 per day. For me, that's good value when the only real alternative is to walk up and maybe that's why it doesn't cause such outrage !

Beer at €10 a pint - for me that's not good value, when the alternative is €1 beers in the chalet.

Very Happy Have a good Christmas !
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
masmith,

Exactly..it's\easier to skip a pint or two to save money than to skip on the lift pass...Hence I am more concerned by the "rising cost" of the lift pass than the price of alcohol in resort...

Do we still have a jagermeister pot by the way? Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kruisler, Now come on, you wouldn't want me to spoil your surprises would you ? You'll just have to wait and see. There are some things the economy won't change !! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle wrote:
I haven't skied with a hip flask since I was in my 20s. It's definitely coming with me on this year's trips!

Excellent! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Cointreau's rather yummy on a chair lift wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
masmith,

Damn you!! Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stortfordhal wrote:
You not been near a TV set lately......I wish my £2 was worth 3€uros still!!! Laughing

Anyone that sits all afternoon in a bar with a sub half-pint should be charged more for getting warm for free and taking up space!!!

Austria for the beer lovers is the answer!!! Nicer people and nicer beer!!! Madeye-Smiley

At last! The voice of reason. snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cathy wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
I haven't skied with a hip flask since I was in my 20s. It's definitely coming with me on this year's trips!

Excellent! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Cointreau's rather yummy on a chair lift wink
wink Actually, vodka and OJ is my choice of tipple - doubles as a thirst quencher! Toofy Grin There again, a small addition of Cointreau to that mixture wouldn't necessarily come amiss...
ski holidays
aaaaaah ranges ripening under ze mediterranean sun... viola
snow report
In the same boat as you. I have visted the PDS every year for the past 7, sometimes twice a year. Always drive out with 5/6/7 in a car to keep costs down, rent a nice s/c chalet, have my own ski gear and enjoy a nice fairly cheap week on the mountain.

This year money is a bit tight and I had already booked the chalet as soon as we returned in march 08. 2 months ago I was just about to book the ferry, ski school for the kids etc and thought maybe I can't really afford it. Decided I'd cancel and lucky enough the chalet owner said I could use the booking deposit against any other date in 09/10 so I've not lost that (will likely have a nice cheap week out there in sept). Am now well happy I did as with the pound dropping I would have been really pushed to afford things.

Next year we will likely do a cheap sun holiday in the UK and have a little jaunt out to the alps in september when its cheap (although no skiing).

Still the prices I'm seeing on here are not as bad as Paris. Was working out there in march this year and got stung 20 euros for a beer. Even worse the waiter couldn't understand we wanted a hand written receipt so couldn't even pass it off on expenses!
snow report
Always check the prices before you sit down in tourist hotspots...
snow conditions
stortfordhal wrote:

Need to read to the end of the post...

James the Last wrote:

And they let their demi last them all afternoon. So €3 for an afternoon's drinking... Even at £3, that's not an expensive afternoon.
snow conditions
Well i'm still DIY'ing it as I got a very nice chalet apartment in the Chamonix Valley for only £1017 for 14 nts...its 65sqm has a double abd two proper twin rooms, 2 bath rooms and living / dining / kitchen...split on two levels.

So for about £165 a head for 14 days I couldn't give a monkeys about the exchange rate ! Driving out in family A6 Avant Quattro clad with lovely brand new (as of yesterday) winter tyres...I work in the travel industry so got channel tunnel for £64 return...Ibis in Dole for 60 Euros...

So I reckon that's about £750 for my family of 4 (2 adults 2 kids) for 14 nts accom and all petrol / hotels on route. Try getting that through a tour op !

Alex
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy