Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

new skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
just thinking of getting a new set of skis do you have to wax a brand new set?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bradleyjoes, I believe the correct answer to this is "yes", but I have never bothered to do it personally Embarassed
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
get a candle its got wax...

saying that ive got my first pair of skis that arent rental and im going to get them waxed by a man in a shop as soon as i get to the resort - makes you go quicker i think
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Our resident tuning wizard spyderjon will no doubt be along in a while, but I am sure he will say "yes, absolutely".

You will find a good guide to base tuning and waxing on his site - www.jonsskituning.co.uk an extract of which talks about hot scraping which is ideal for new skis, plus a specific comment about new skis:-

"Perform a ‘hot scrape’ using a soft wax to clean the base of the ski. A ‘hot scrape’ is when the molten wax is immediately scraped off after being ironed in to the ski to pull out the dirt held within the base. You’ll notice the black dirt smears in the scraped wax. If the base is very dirty then this can be repeated until the wax scrapes clean."

"This step for new skis only. New skis arrive at the store with plenty of graphite dust in the pores and coarse microscopic hairs are left on the base from the original grind. The factory wax is also for protection rather than performance. If the factory structure pattern is too shallow (it saves the factory having to do a lot of expensive post grind base smoothing) it can be enhanced with a few passes of a steel structure brush & then fibertex pads in varying grades to remove the fuzz from the 'peaks'’, knocking them down somewhat & smoothing out the structure. Warm, low melting point waxes perform an excellent clean & have great penetration in a new base"

As Jon writes, as part of the manufacturing process they will have ground the bases in one form or another, performing a hot scrape will clear the bases of all of the crud left behind and will then give you a great base for waxing thereafter....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy