Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

canazei

Poster: A snowHead
On a previous post I asked about watering holes in canazei and got a fairly negative response. I stayed in resort last ear in chalet rigoletto and found two good bars very handy to the area you ski back down to at the end of the day.They were rosegarten and husky bar both more than adequate for our needs. However thereafter we returned to chalet and drank red wine with accompanying good conversation, rarely wandering further out. This was mingled with ski boot bop in Covara and an evening arranged by Crystal in a local hotel, don't remember the name but it had a lively bar.Can anyone tell me how far it is to walk to alba di canazei as I resolve to report on establishments in that area too. Frogs bar etc. Our chalet is at the alba end of canazei and it looks walkable distance.

Cheers

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 1-11-10 20:52; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Frogs bar was only a short walk up the road from Chalet Rigololetto. Alba just a bit further. Did you not ski the Black track in Ciampac skiing area above the chalet ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't think so how do you access that?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
just looked at piste map. Yes we did ski this and the rest of the area down as far as Pozza di Fassa. I was thinking this time of trying............... Bus to Alba first thing, Gondola up to Ciampac then down the black- back up.............. ski to Pozza. Bus to Campitello, up the Gondola, Sella Ronda clockwise. Is it worth a trip to Vigo di fassa do you know? There looks to be some runs above that.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mfamily2, sorry you didn't get a better response on the other thread, sadly I couldn't help as I've only stayed in Selva previously.

Nevertheless, I've just booked a last minute deal to the Rigoletto for Jan 3rd, so I'm quite keen to hear any tips you might have about this and Canazei. I'll also try and add what I find to this thread after I get back, although I expect the Chalet wine will have a similar effect on me. wink

Is the Chalet just up behind the gondola station? Was the food any good at the Chalet? Any restaurant recommendations? Can you ski back to near the Chalet? Any other tips?

Thanks for any advice you might have.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Lechbob wrote:
The Frogs bar was only a short walk up the road from Chalet Rigololetto. Alba just a bit further. Did you not ski the Black track in Ciampac skiing area above the chalet ?

Appologies I am confusing Chalet names - I stayed at the Traviata which is 10 minutes up the road towards Alba. You'd want to use the bus from central Canezi.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mfamily2 wrote:
just looked at piste map. Yes we did ski this and the rest of the area down as far as Pozza di Fassa. I was thinking this time of trying............... Bus to Alba first thing, Gondola up to Ciampac then down the black- back up.............. ski to Pozza. Bus to Campitello, up the Gondola, Sella Ronda clockwise. Is it worth a trip to Vigo di fassa do you know? There looks to be some runs above that.

Yes, that is the area known as Catinaccio (sp?) I believe. There is a little "road train" which shuttles between the base area at Pozza and that at Pera, which is the other way in to the runs above Vigo

Enough runs for an afternoon, but not for a whole day IMO.

I think your timetable above may be a little ambitious, as the bus up to Campitello from Pozza runs at quite large intervals except at the start and end of the ski day.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
luigi, The chalet is on the Alba side of Canazei about five minute walk in ski boots to the gondola. It was clean and I would describe it as simple, but the chalet hosts were really nice and friendly, although they may have changed a year on. We went at half term and queues for the Gondola looked big but moved swiftly and got swallowed up at the first station. You cannot ski down to the chalet. The single red run back into canazei ends up fairly near the centre about 800mts from the chalet over the back road or you can take the road train back to the gondola and walk back from there. We preferred to ski down and walk into the Rosegarten or Husky pubs walking back after a few beers . Rosegarten was loud and bouncing, Husky(you would never find it if you didn't know it was there is across the road and though an arched door is more laid back with live music and a really good atmosphere.) Rosegarten seemed to be full of Scandanavians who liked to dance and party! Again a really good atmosphere. The food at the chalet was home cooked and good, again if hosts have changed who knows. Dining was round a large table which brought everyone together nicely, it was all very laid back. Crystal/Thomson rep was great and trips were spot on. We never ate out so I can't recommend any restaurants, but Canazei seemed to have a few scattered about.

We skied Sella Ronda both ways and hidden valley, Cinque Torre, Selva, but favourite was Marmolada and run down from the top in sunshine with views over the lake where they shot the new Italian Job movie. We also get bus to Alba and up around Campiac ( Spelt differently every time I write it, but it does exist), nice black then back up gondola and down to Pozza, lovely fast red, but flat at the end. Not a problem on skis.

As for tips we went with crystal and hired skis with them from a shop resembling a second hand shop. Very basic with the usual here's your skis now get out feeling about it. I hired a helmet for my daughter from a shop near the gondola called Northland. Really nice, like an ellis Brigham shop good friendly service and good value. I am booking my skis through them online for January 20% discount. If you go to j2ski web site and click on the ski, it takes you to the ski set website, put in canazei and you get the shop. Again it looked right, can't say more than that.

All said, I enjoyed canazei, it has something whch I can't put my finger on. Done 3 valleys, Paradiski, Espace Killy, Andorra, but this is the first place I have gone back to. Only Austria came anywhere near in my opinion. Still its all a matter of personal taste and the week I went last year was glorious sunshine, it may be different in a blizzzard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are there the week after you, don't drink all the wine Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mfamily2, cheers for the low-down on Rigoletto/Canazei, I'm sold on the Dolomite experience too, been to Selva 3 times already having done 3V, La Plagne, Austria, Banff and others in between. I'm a bit of an Italophile as you can tell from my username, real name is Lewis, luigi being the Italian version.

Austria, like you say, comes close and the Canadian Rockies were awesome too. But I keep coming back to the Sella Ronda for more, still haven't explored it all, want to do the Marmolada this time if conditions look good & Cinque Torri is on the list too.

There doesn't look to be more than a sprinkling of snow on the horizon until New Year, but who knows what after that, some sunshine would be nice to enjoy the views while we're there, eh? Cool
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I suspect you wont be short of snow!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mfamily2, you're right there! snowHead

..... but a bit of fresh on a good base is always welcome! snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mfamily2, by the way, is the Rigoletto between the village centre and the gondola or further out twd Alba?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I went to sella ronda last season in feb half term stayed in Pozza di Fassa. If you want to go to Vigo get the train/ bus to pera is closer then vigo, you just get on 2 horribly old 2-man chairlifts up! If skiing to the bottom again come down in pera is so much easier otherwise there's quite a large poleing section at the top of heading down to vigo!

Went to Marmolada one day and thought it was excellent skiing non-stop all day! Loved the area and want to return!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
luigi, The Rigoletto is literally five minutes walk, but on the Alba side. If you look at a street map of Canazei, out towards Alba is a roundabout, turn left it is 200mts on right. Merry christmas.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mfamily2 wrote:
. This time we are a group of adults and I resolve to post a comprehensive list of establishments on m return, to assist other snowheads in seeking out the best places to drink.

Cheers

Not a large number of livelly bars here, but what there was is more than sufficient for an excellent holiday. A very friendly place.
snow report
Lechbob wrote:
Lechbob wrote:

Appologies I am confusing Chalet names - I stayed at the Traviata which is 10 minutes up the road towards Alba. You'd want to use the bus from central Canezi.

We stayed at the Traviata at New Year and didn't go much on the place. The rooms were ok, the dining room felt like a loosely converted garage and the common areas were very basic. We are frequent visitors to Selva, but couldn't find a place there for NY. Socially, Canazei was good, we had great apres and the eves were pretty good. From a skiing view point, Selva knocks spots off of Canazei. Crystal were very average as usual with food portion sizes verging on the comical. rolling eyes Ski Beat in Meribel two weeks ago were in a different league.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy