Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time taking my own kit board bag, need advice

Poster: A snowHead
I hit up Edge2edge today and came back the proud owner of my first board, a Ride Antic 160 and Ride RX bindings so im a happy boy! Looks pretty sweet, the black + red board with the red + black bindings Very Happy I also bought a board bag but im having trouble working out what is the best thing to do. We are heading out next weekend and its a crystal hol with a TOM flight no. so i presume its Thompson. I've read conflicting info on the forums.

Should i pay for the board bag in advance or chance it at the airport?
Are they really strict or can i take a load of clothes in the board bag? I've read that Thompson only allow 6KGs?
Can i take my boots as hand luggage?
Pack the bindings seperately?

And i guess most important, hows best to protect my board while in transit? dont want it dinged before i get to ride it!

thanks!

naryn
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My board, boots, bindings and some clothes will weigh about 12kg, and if I am taking my board I will always pay the carraige in advance because you will be charged,
your flight with Thom etc has had a bit of bad press here on snowheads,
but unless there is any small print on your documents 12kg is the industry norm for ski carraige
so you should be ok. So book and pay extra for the carraige, put you board in the plastic sleeve it was bought in,
wrap some clothes around the ends of the board and wrap you bindings in clothes so they do not scratch the board
(I do not fix my bindings to the board (flows Wink )) but I do fix the base plate

You may want to weigh the packed board by standing on bathroom scales with and without the board and work out the difference!
And tie up all the straps etc and take off any removable straps because when ever I have not done that my bag came back strapless and I am on bag 3 at the moment
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi i always pack my board bag for me and the misses, two boards, bindihgs, boots and snowboard pants to wrap the boards, comes to about 20kgs always pay in advance and never been charged extra...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Only had a problem once regarding luggage fees and that was with bmiBaby endded up paying about £50 extra because I'd paid in advance! If it's a major airport it's gonna have to be paid but the smaller airports (I never got charged at Aberdeen) might forget/waiver/turn a blind eye!

My bindings stay on, I have one boot one end the other boot the other end. Then in the middle go my boarding pants and rucksack etc, I also have a spare/old pair of boarding pants that usually protecthe lenth of my base.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Should my board have come in a sleeve? Some were in sleeves and some not, mine was just in the celophane which they took off so i could test the bindings on the board with my boots!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm curious what difference you think the sleeve would make? Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I use an old foam camping kip mat with clothes wrapped over it. Great for skis and should be adaptable for boards.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I always pay the carraige up front even though I dont agree with it, especailly as its my main luggage & i dont (normally) take checked hold luggage. This year we have dumped my wheelie bag and are sticking it all in the OHs one as the Thomson charges are so expensive.
If you dont pay in advance sods law you will get some miserable cow with PMT at the check-in that will send you to yet another counter with a large queue to pay before you come back to her start to check in.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stevomcd wrote:

The board's edges are sharp! If i wrap it in clothes to protect the board what is going to protect the clothes!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
naryn, an old foam camping kip mat Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Our board bag has a padded flap already built in to protect everything
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ok, i'll get there! So, low rider with all in (board, bindings and boots) or over shoulder smaller bag and boots in hand luggage?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Naryn i try to get in as much as possible without going over 20kgs, its always worked for me....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't forget....if they decide to weigh it, a well placed foot under the end can take quite a bit of weight off the belt wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
naryn wrote:
stevomcd wrote:

The board's edges are sharp! If i wrap it in clothes to protect the board what is going to protect the clothes!

just get 4m of 15mm foam pipe ladding from your local DIY store. just push edge of board into slit in foamy tube. job done.
ski holidays
rogg, Very good idea. I hadn't thought of that for boards.
snow conditions
i must admit, not my idea. forums are great places Laughing , it does work very well though.
snow report
rogg,

Just take the glory! Laughing

Great tip!
snow report
happy birthday Kruisler!
latest report
They sold me a Dakine Tour shoulder bag, the board goes in with bindings on and the boots in the boot pockets either end will take the pressure off the bindings, so if i chuck my jacket in at the middle its all good. Hope they dont complain that my boots are in the bag but im paying for winter sports carriage, cant use my snowboard without the bindings and the boots so dont see how they can stop me putting them in!

Im going to go to B&Q tonight to get my pipe foam! What a great idea!
ski holidays
naryn,

Last year I flew with Ryanair and had my board+bindings+boots+jacket+sleeping bag in my board bag and it was all OK...
snow report
I just realised, with 2 of us flying and only taking 1 board bag and 1 suitcase why they hell do i need to pay extra for the board bag if both luggages are under 20KGs and we are allowed 1 luggage each! Is it just for the priviledge of having an oddly sized bag!
ski holidays
naryn, yup. and cos the luggage guys at the airport have to lug it around too. and cos some airports have to have special areas where oddly-shaped luggage comes out to instead of the normal luggage carousel.
latest report
Been on charter flights 5 times with my own kit. I have always paid carriage in advance.
Travelled from LGW, SOU and BOH.
I always pack board, bindings (mounted) and boots in my bag - along with numerous clothes - jackets, pants, fleeces, helmet etc
Never had a problem with weight and would always be more that 10kg.
Although last years trip I did pack a bit less in my board bag than usual as I thought the airlines might be on the make - and I had more space in my suitcase so loaded that instead.
I wrap the tip and tail in old fleeces and a fleece blanket I got on the Eurostar once.
latest report
stevomcd wrote:

simply stops it from getting scratched etc by my gindings, or any thing sharp like belt buckles, fastners, phone chargers etc, also the edges are sharp and it is just another layer of protection. The airport bag handlers are not so careful in chucking these bags around.

I only have a Lidl £8 board bag but I can just about fit everything in to it (if i take my bindings off) and with hand luggage only I can do a 4 or 5 day trip (without having to wash anything whilst on hols), and not pay for any other hold luggage except the board carraige - I could not dream of a boarding hol without taking my own board

I am thinking about sticking some extra foam padding at the ends inside my board bag with gaffa tape for that extra little protection wink
snow report
Got my foam pipe insulation from B&Q last night and my board now looks like a dinghy! Found the small print on the Thompson site that says ski carriage means 1 set of skis boots and poles so i am packing my board boots and bindings in the board bag, plates screwed to the board and boots in the bindings in the end pockets and going to put my apparel in the gap in the middle. Done and Done!

2 days to go, thanks for all the advice!
latest report
naryn, top banana Very Happy
snow conditions
naryn, cool, happy boarding Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy