Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fernie 08/09

Poster: A snowHead
DaveC, You might be able to ski, but no one Looks good in that shade of green and blue Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DaveC, PS Did you get dressed in the dark?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ski kimberley wrote:
...They told me conditions here are better than Fernie plus we don;t get the avalanche danges...

Babelfish says "no decent steeps"

Tell me ski kimberley, what's Kimberley like compared with, say, La Rosiere?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kimberley sucks and we all know it. Retallack is where its at.

Fernie rules. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clive5, fancy trying it again to see if I care a third time? My life's better than your vacation. You'll have to try harder than that to hurt my pride Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I went to have a look at Kimberley when I stayed in Fernie last time. Kimberley was closed due to lack of snow. Toofy Grin Nice for hill walking though, not too steep. Laughing

4 Sleeps, Fernie here I come. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
10cm last night reported, that usually tends to mean 30cm in the good spots... Roll on 8 hours with three 3 year olds! Sad

On the plus side, the forecast is finally looking distinctly more snowy. Well, there's snow forecast...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DaveC,

You must have the patience of a saint.

Spyderman,

We arrive on thursday and I am hoping our experience of Fernie is slightly better than our experience of Kimberley at New Year (which I do think on balance was better than your experience of Kimberley).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spyderman,
Quote:

I went to have a look at Kimberley when I stayed in Fernie last time. Kimberley was closed due to lack of snow. Nice for hill walking though, not too steep.

Kimberley don't get a lot of snow in September and you need to walk further than from the town to the car park. Toofy Grin

www.ski-kimberley.com
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
FenlandSkier,
Quote:

Tell me ski kimberley, what's Kimberley like compared with, say, La Rosiere?

Never been there so I couldn't tell you Madeye-Smiley
www.ski-kimberley.com
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DaveC,
Quote:

I sense mountain-envy You must be a bit rattled, where's the hand typed link?

No envy and I knew I had forgot something Madeye-Smiley Too many beers I guess. Must admit you were right about the snow though we got 5 flakes Thurs night and 10 on Friday Crying or Very sad

www.ski kimberley.com
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is it allowed to sell a season pass on?

I have one im not using which is valid for the rest of the year.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SO any snow in fernie today? Around 5-6 cm in Calgary

Gryph
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Probably the same here, an inch ish when it stopped.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DaveC,
Quote:

Probably the same here, an inch ish when it stopped

Thats an inch more than we got. Very cold here today with blue skies again. Its going to ve very busy here this weekend all accommodation is sold out so we are heading to Big Mountain. I hear they have had 10 inches there in the last week with a big dump forecast for over the weekend Very Happy
snow report
Sounds like the next storm is staying away until Monday although Whitefish will get some more today. 3" today down in ID or in metric terms 7.6 cm of snow.

ski kimberley, Turner might be worth it on Friday. Now to get ready to go ski up our huge dump.
snow report
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=49302
snow report
11cm fell last night, I had to work so didn't get to test out much of it but Boomerang felt a lot like blower on crusty bumps. Apparently Currie was epic, so I'm guessing Cedar was too. Family weekend is just winding down now so the current insane crowds are soon to be quietening down a bit - I've worked pretty much 7 days solid, ending in pulling a few muscles in my back today trying to deal with two kids in full on tantrum Sad
ski holidays
Just managed to get the wifi working from the Pine Lodge.

Seems that we brought the snow with us from the UK yesterday snowHead

Great day and some nice fresh stuff early on. Quite busy as DaveC says but this aint nothing like the Euroscrum at half term in France.

Hoping for some more snow overnight now that we have a better idea where to head tomorrow.

1 shot from today - the camera had a spec of grease on the lens, but after viewing this I wonder if I have caught the back of DaveC ? Going out with a new camera tomorrow so hope to post some better shots.

snow conditions
We are back now!

Went down Thursday night- back this afternoon.

Had a fab time - loved Fernie (just as well as we are going back for spring break!!!)

Impressed with how well Fernie coped with the crowds for family day- last year we were at Louise on the Sunday and it was awful!!

Fave run- Currie Powder
Kids' fave run- Falling Star and Holo Hike (cos of the tunnels)

My son, aged 6 , loved it. My daughter , aged 4 loved it. Really enjoyed both her lessons (with Imogen and then Phil) although her first lesson clearly had one of those kids that Dave spends half his life dealing with, ones that need negotiating out and are right on the edge, so her second lesson I think went better! Daughter has already said she wants more lessons at spring break- so clearly something went right!!! She said the best thing about the trip was the skiing, which is great, previously she has said things like ' the fries', 'the meatballs', 'the swimming' etc.

Best food- the thai chicken soup at slopeside deli - in fact this was the best food I have had on a ski hill in Canada.

Worst food- the main day lodge

Nice touches - the sleighs to Timberline from car parks and lifties calling us by our names as they came up on their machines. In fact the lifties were very good.

Stayed down the hill at Silver Rock. Nice- but hot tub out of action and pool very cold. On the hill at spring break (tues to sunday). Think spring break might be different to BC's so might be a quietish week.

Bumped into Dave C at a lift queue.

Gryphea
latest report
Just had a fab day, the crowds have all but gone and there was some real nice powder to be found in Lizard and Cedar bowls.

Run of the day was no. 3 Siberia Ridge - It has been a while since my Son SP has 'bottled it' and let me get ahead of him Toofy Grin

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 17-02-09 17:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
gryphea, glad you had fun - sorry I didn't get to say hi while I was actually in ski and play - my weekend was so brutal I was pretty much a zombie.

Finally got a day off today, fun times lapping Cedar. Found out that KC Chutes and Gorbie Bowl look a lot different when there's no 3m snowpack... had to straightline the last chute onto lower Gorbie which was an adventure in not getting hooked into alders Embarassed Got through on my feet but some Calgarians followed me and weren't too pleased with my line choice!

CP, I can't snowboard, and I haven't been out of uniform till today! Check out Mars (or the upper part of Morning Glory if double black trees are offputting, I personally hate Anaconda just because of what happens if you miss a gladed chute!) off the Sib Ridge hike tomorrow, it'll still have nice snow.
snow conditions
Hi guys,

I'm a newbie to snowHeads but its a great site! I'm doing the 09/10 season in Fernie, got flights and house all sorted, Working Holiday Visa's on its way so everything's pretty much sorted.

Was in Fernie Dec 07/Jan 08, totally fell in love with the place so I'm so excited about going back.

I am a bit concerned though about the recession and whether or not me and my boyfriend will be ok for jobs? We're arriving in Fernie 13th Oct which is around the time that I've been told the job fairs are on but I am still a bit worried so any comments or advice you guys have would be much appreciated!

Thanks snowHead
latest report
DaveC, Thanks for the tip we will hike up and try Mars and Morning glory later today. We plan to try Face Lift this morning as it was closed yesterday and Currie Chutes which I hope are open too.

For those poor souls that can't be here today here is a pic of the entry to Currie Chutes from yesterday......

snow report
snofairy wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm a newbie to snowHeads but its a great site! I'm doing the 09/10 season in Fernie, got flights and house all sorted, Working Holiday Visa's on its way so everything's pretty much sorted.

Was in Fernie Dec 07/Jan 08, totally fell in love with the place so I'm so excited about going back.

I am a bit concerned though about the recession and whether or not me and my boyfriend will be ok for jobs? We're arriving in Fernie 13th Oct which is around the time that I've been told the job fairs are on but I am still a bit worried so any comments or advice you guys have would be much appreciated!

Thanks snowHead

You should be fine if you get to town that early, can't hurt to email the hill your CV though! See you next year Smile
snow report
DaveC,

It was manic in that daycare! It would fray my nerves working there- all those kids! Most of whom seemed to be crying!!!! I trust its not always so fraught!!!!

Saw from your badge that you hail from Leeds. We spent most of the past 10yrs living there and still have a house back there. Both kids born in Jimmy's.

Son today said in car- when can we go back to Fernie! Big hit all round - vaguely considering the bumps and steeps course- do you get lunch off?

CP,

Very jealous- still we get another 5 days in march!!!!! Keep the pics coming!!!

Gryph
snow report
DaveC, Thanks for the tip on Mars - we did it last run this afternoon and it was fun, nice deep powder in the trees.

We found Face Lift open for the first time this afternoon and it was well worth the wait, excellent pockets of powder but SP had a moment or three getting up the lift.

Another great day, we will hike up and do Morning Glory tomorrow sometime - do you have any more tips for us or I am being too cheeky?

I have some pics but the wireless connection is very slow, will post later.

gryphea, Well we can't be back again this year but will probably have a week at Les Arcs in early April which is usually very good late season and I will post more pictures.........................

Cheers

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 18-02-09 16:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
gryphea, nope, we do supervised lunches so no rest there! Afraid you've lost me a bit with Jimmys! I only know the general infirmary if you're meaning a hospital?

CP, try Snake Ridge, preferably Snake Main or Steep and Deep, since it's so easy to get cliffed out in Gorbie. Avoid KC chutes, I found out the hard way that the far skiiers left is a 5ft mandatory air into alders, and far skiers right is challenging with icy bumps. Cougar Glades is fun but unmarked just before the fingers, basically look out for the gladed area before them on the reverse traverse. There aren't really many secret spots 2 days after a pow day Smile Easter Bowl will be fun too.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DaveC,

I realised after I had written it it came out all ambiguous!!! I meant, do the course attendants on the bumps and steeps course get lunch off (don't like to leave my kiddywinks all day)?

Jimmy's is St James, big teaching hospital. Not nearly as posh as LGI though.

Gryph
snow report
A cloudless sunny and quite warm day in Fernie today - I would say some runs are in need of snow but 99% is holding up well.

Almost every Canadian I have spoken to on the chair lifts have said what a poor season for snow fall it has been. I can remember many European ski trips that have had much much worse condtions than Fernie currently has.

Weather forecast is for snow next week - my money is on Tuesday night, a mega dump that will make our trip back to the UK from here a nightmare!!
snow report
CP wrote:
Almost every Canadian I have spoken to on the chair lifts have said what a poor season for snow fall it has been. I can remember many European ski trips that have had much much worse condtions than Fernie currently has.

My thoughts exactly, a couple of weeks back, and as relayed to the inevitable "disgruntled" locals I shared many a chair with.

Enjoy the remainder of your time there.

John.
latest report
Great start to the day, Chelsea beat Villa and it's another fantastic looking morning - blue sky again, but as it's Saturday I guess there will be a few more people about although queues have not been a problem all week.

A couple of shots from yesterday just to show how bad it was Toofy Grin

snow report
Snow report..........................................

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
5cm reported snow today, probably closer to 10 really. Really, really heavy creamy high water content snow, which was pretty good since things were getting icy - blower would of just meant dust on crust death. I had a fun few laps in my favourite spots, almost felt bottomless the snow was that thick - but it's my first day off in 8 days and then I've got another 6 on as half the ski school are broken with various pretty sucky injuries so I'm gonna have a kip now!
snow report
It was great first thing this morning off the top of White Pass and the Great Bear lifts. A fair amount of terrain was closed off but not many skiers out so no queues.

Horror of horrors it was raining at base level c 12:00 when I went down for lunch. Snow line was about the base of the Great Bear at 13:00.

Could be good for our last day tomorrow providing the temps drop and it continues to precepitate over night.
snow conditions
Last day Sad

It looks like it has rained at base level most of the night. It was raining at 10:30 pm when we returned to Timberline and its raining now at 7:30 am. If I had wanted rain I would have gone to Whistler!!

Snow line looks to be around the top of the Deer chair - lots of explosions going off so I guess there could be a lot of new, but heavy, snow up there. I guess we will be forced to go an find out for ourselves Toofy Grin
snow report
Well it was good!!

Started to snow at base level about an hour after my previous post. Pretty heavy going to start with but things either improved or the new snow was lighter off the Great Bear and around Boomerang. Nice stashes in the trees and to the sides/between runs.

I managed to blow my knee up just around midday, medial ligament, going down to lunch - an old war wound that could have come back anytime, but I got 9.5 days out of 10 so I am well pleased. Packing, early start and back to Blighty tomorrow - visit to my GP is first thing on the agenda for Friday.

Cheers
ski holidays
CP,

Glad to hear you have had a good time, hope knee isn't too horrific and take care on the roads back to Calgary- it snowed a lot here over night

Gryph
snow report
Lots of snow in the last few days - three pretty genuine powder days, sick sick days. Pretty much what Fernie's all about, it's been amazing.
latest report
I keep checking the reports on Skifernie DaveC and it seems the Griz has come out to play! (if the reports are correct!) Can't wait to get out there, only 7 months and 8 days till we fly out!!! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy