Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Returning to Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I am returning to skiing having had a long break Very Happy Currently I am in the process of obtaining all the kit rolling eyes

In the previous millenium, my level of ability was probably best described as intermediate (usually in control Cool ).

What advice can you give me with regards to starting to ski again? snowHead

Can anyone suggest places to go/avoid? Confused

Where can I get a good deal if travelling alone? wink

Overall what's best for the single skier? Little Angel

I hope to get skiing again on 31st Jan and then brush up my skills further from 28th Feb Cool
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arctic Fox, Well, welcome to Snowheads and welcome back to skiing!! snowHead I'm up early because I'm off to France for 7 weeks - spending my old age pension recklessly.

You've asked loads of questions, and you'll get loads of answers. There are a number of recent threads about the best deals for single skiers - have a look at the "search" function on the front page to find some.

For apparel - many people (including me) swear by T K Maxx where you can find lots of excellent gear (in amongst a whole heap of indescribable tat) at bargain prices. For hardware, probably most would suggest you definitely hire skis for your first few trips. Skis have changed enormously in the last few years and you'll need to find out what you like. You'll improve so fast you'll grow out of anything you buy which is suitable for starting.

If you are determined to buy some hardware, boots is where to start. Go to a good bootfitter - you'll get loads of suggestions. But you can hire good boots too, and unless your feet are especially difficult you should be fine.

The key element of your first trip is not where you go, but how good the tuition is. Loads of suggestions on that, too, but skiing, like skis, is probably a bit different from when you last went and good tuition is essential if you want to improve fast. Large group lessons can be fun but can be frustrating, if others are either much better or much worse than yourself. Small groups (maximum 6) are good - have a look, for example, at the British Alpine Ski School which has places in a number of resorts. Les Gets would be a sensible place to start. Private lessons are probably the absolutely fastest way to progress - have a look at the website of easiski.com - a Snowhead member and great teacher (no commercial interest here, just a satisfied customer). You'll find many Snowheads a bit fanatical about lessons - been skiing for 20 years and still having them!

good luck. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arctic Fox, I have two trips going to Les Deux Alpes (7th & 14th March). They are for those who for whatever reason want to take lessons at a steadier pace, in small 2-hour group lessons (max 4 people per group). It is aimed at those who are older, or previously had injury for example, or who have some fears to overcome. Most of us are travelling singly and most of us are ladies. Most of us are staying in highly recommended, but budget priced accommodation, though some have organised their own alternatives. There's a range of abilities from beginner to experienced going, and some are not taking lessons but going to accompany friends/family who are, so there's going to be a good selection of ski-buddies around.

If this might interest you, see my sig for the link to the relevant thread which has more details and contact info.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arctic Fox, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

As mentioned by pam w, TK Maxx is a good bet for gear. I'm also a big fan of Decathlon for cheap but good kit.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the warm welcomes & kind replies so far.....they are much appreciated.

I am pretty much sorted on kit ... I think, I just now really need to look at what and who's tuition and where to go.

When it comes to skiing what seems to be the norm, book a package or, arrange flights, transfers, accomodation, tuition, ski boot hire, and lift pass, all individually?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arctic Fox, for a singleton, I think there is a lot to be said for DIY booking - over the years I have had some good deals at cheapish but very good B&Bs and hotels at St Anton, Saas Fee, Val D'Isere, and most recently at Les Deux Alps (look up the Lutins if you are thinking of going there). I did a lot better than paying TO rates for single room occupation. OTOH I have had some very good weeks going on a 'will share' basis with TOs. These days my preference is DIY - but I guess the TO option gives you more protection if something goes a bit wrong.

If you can tie in with one (or all) of the 3 snowhead bashes next season, you are practically guaranteed a great time. If you can't do that, think about some sort of ski school week, maybe (never skied with him, but Warren Smith has his fans) - or look for a resort with a SCGB rep. If you ski with him/her for a day, there is a very good chance you'll meet up with smeine you can enjoy skiing with.

Welcome to sHs. Warning: it can be addictive here.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arctic Fox, Can you change your week's holidays? I say that because achilles, will be here on 10th Jan for a week, and even though you probably wouldn't be able to ski much together it would mean company. there are also other snowheads here that week. You will need 'updating' lessons as part of your learning because a fair bit has changed in the last 10-20 years in terms of ski technique. Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arctic Fox, I took up skiing again 7 years ago after a break of 25 years. You will be amazed how much easier the modern skis are compared with the old skis. I would confirm that the most important piece of kit to get will be the boots.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am overwelmed with the responses....thanks to all.

My time available to ski is not so flexible that I can change my weeks easily, the 10th Jan is sadly a non starter for me Sad I can jiggle a bit Shocked but not within the next 6 weeks Crying or Very sad

I note that most here seem to tend to ski in France, would that be right? I wonder why? Puzzled

My local airport is Bournemouth and flights to Grenoble and Innsbruck are regular Very Happy but transfer times to Innsbruck are shorter and thus more favourable, I guess this is not the case for others? Confused
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I wonder why?

There are plenty of arguments about why that is the case, and you'll find people can have quite strong opinions on the matter! One reason is that some of the biggest linked areas in the world are in France - and that there is lots of very convenient "ski in/ski out" accommodation. Also a huge range, from tiny apartments which are a cheap way to take a family or a group of friends on holiday, to luxury chalets costing £70,000 a week. Plenty of "catered chalets" - a British formulation, common in France but not so common in the other Alpine countries (don't know why!). A fantastic range of top quality, and varied, ski and snowboard tuition (France is much stronger from that point of view than the other Alpine countries).

People complain that France is full of huge soulless "ski factories" with expensive prices full of foreign (including British) tourists, and with no atmosphere. But there are also plenty of small, cosy, family resorts where you might sometimes struggle to make yourself understood in English for anything more complicated than a coffee and cake.

Depends what you want! Right now, if other things were equal (which they're not, because I have an apartment in France) I would head for the Dolomites. The most beautiful mountains in Europe and - not always the case - snow cover is fantastic at the moment.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arctic Fox, If it is easier for you to get to Innsbruck I would head to one of the (many) resorts within an hour from the airport. Whilst I've skied in France 4 times, I favour Austria for the following reasons - geniunly nice locals (who have no issues with speaking English - even though I have a decent grasp of German and use it as often as possible), better value than France, great beer, awesome apres, great food, clean and comfy hotels/b&b's and all in all a fantastic ski experience. France wins in terms of ski convenience however if you head to Obergurgl, Obertauren or Oberlech you will get ski in ski out accomodation. Also the flight into Innsbruck is amazing - have a few beers before you leave the terminal in Bournemouth. Would also consider booking independent rather than tour op as you won't get a single suppliment charged by the hotels.
Resorts worth you consideration from Innsbruck - Solden, Ischgl, Obergurgl and St Anton - all of them have great ski areas and good apres, so being a single skier you'll get the chance to enjoy the mad apres, especially in St Anton, Solden and Ischgl
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

who have no issues

I had no intention of suggesting that the French "had issues" with speaking English. It's just that not all the French ski stations are foreign tourist farms. They actually don't speak English. Just like lots of English people, including those who keep B & Bs, or restaurants, in areas such as the Lake District or North Wales don't speak French. It's nice to get away from Brits, and the people who minister to them, sometimes. wink I da re say there are Swiss and Austrian resorts where people don't speak English, either. I stayed at a campsite in the Jungfrau area recently where the proprietor, extremely warm and welcoming, spoke not a single word. I had to dredge up the O level German I did over 40 years ago, which was entertaining. But of course, people in the tourist destinations favoured by British tourists will speak English.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arctic Fox wrote:

I note that most here seem to tend to ski in France, would that be right? I wonder why? Puzzled

I'm not at all sure it would be "most", although given that France is the most common ski destination for Britons generally, it probably is.

The reason being the sheep mentality Smile

Seriously, France tends to be more expensive, with more "ugly" resorts, although there are exceptions to both of those.

On the other hand, there are also more large linked areas, and it has more high altitude "snow sure" skiing than either Austria or Italy - but not than Switzerland.

Where you go is going to depend very much on what you want out of your skiing.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arctic Fox, as I understand it Austria (used to be the favourite Brit destinations. But the Schilling closely followed the Deutschmark , and it became quite a lot more expensive to ski there, whilst the French Franc exchange rate to the £ was a lot more favourable - so the Brit business went to France. Best person to advise whether that's right and to comment further may be David Goldsmith - maybe he'll pitch up in the thread and comment. Austria is very good for DIY booking of single accommodation - particularly at B&Bs. The local tourist board sites have excellent information. Good luck - and let us know how you get on.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arctic Fox, I know next to nothing about technique, but I am someone who started skiing very late in life. One thing I would suggest is that you might need a few lessons as, again within my very limited knowledge, I believe that modern carving skis need a very different style of skiing than the old ones.

As to which country to ski in - they are all wonderful when the snow is good!

snowHead
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
Austria is very good for DIY booking of single accommodation - particularly at B&Bs.

I can attest to that, having just paid €17 per night for a room to myself for 10 nights Friday-Monday.

How awkward could I be? Very Happy
ski holidays
Thank you all so very much for your advice so far, it is much appreciated. Very Happy

I will get to work this evening and see what I can find.
snow report
andytb,
Can i ask where that was as it sounds really good for austria poste a link for future ref if poss
ski holidays
Thanks for all your help. Finally got back into skiing. Went to Austria and had a great time, now looking to go again while the snow is so good!

The bug has bitten me again! wink

Anyone up for a trip to Italy on the 1st March?
ski holidays
Arctic Fox, glad you had a good time. Very Happy
snow conditions
Arctic Fox, snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy