Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lech and Zurs have six 5-star hotels and 49 4-star hotels between them, so ...

Poster: A snowHead
... why do we bother going anywhere else?

Gabriella Le Breton of the Daily Telegraph is checking out this exclusive sector of the Arlberg this week, with reports on 'top five runs', 'bars and restaurants', etc. Introduction: click here.

Anyone stayed in a 5-star ski hotel? (I have, as you would expect)

Was it worth it? (it was well worth it in my case, for obvious reasons)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the little nell in aspen was definatley worth it, slopeside luxury at its best, and we are off to oberlech in march so will let you know NehNeh
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The one I was lucky enough to be a guest of was:

Riffelalp Resort

It was the re-opening of the hotel, after a total modernisation and the addition of a new building/restaurants/leisure complex. The location is absolutely breathtaking but it's very isolated from the resort. However - almost unique in Zermatt - you ski straight from the front door (to Furi) or via the train up to Gornergrat. Because you're at 2222m.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I,ve spat & blown my nose in a few marinades & soups in the kitchens Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith, I discovered the region in 2003 when I went to St Anton with the boys. Have been for the last 2 years to Oberlech - once with the wife and this year with the kids - and I can hardly falut the place. Stayed at Montana which is a 4 star superior (one notch down from 5 star) and was absolutely fantastic - best food I have ever tased. Can't afford this year but off to 4 star hotel in Stuben just 5 mins from Zurs. But since going there I find it really hard to justify going elsewhere - just hope stanton, didn't work in any of the palces we ate
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith, why bother going anywhere else? I guess the obvious answer is also the one that the majority will give - it costs a fortune!

We have still not made it to Lech because of the price, and we look at what else we could do with the money. I do keep looking at Lech, but it comes down to the same question. Don't get me wrong, I would love slopeside luxury, but not if it means only one trip to the snow in a year instead of three.

I guess there are some who either choose quality of accommodation over time on the slopes, or have enough money not to have to choose, - for them I guess it's a no-brainer.

Having said that, it also depends on the kind of person you are. Some of our best ski trips have been some of the lowest budget ones, either because of the snow, or because of the people we have been with. One of the things I love about holidays in the alps is the culture - popping out to get bread in the morning, eating at different restaurants, ending up in an old wooden hut somewhere drinking schnapps and listening to locals yodelling at each other or whatever, - a lot of the luxury hotels can be a bit sanitised from the local culture. We've just come back from a fairly luxury type hotel in Barbados, and honestly, I would have felt it was a bit pointless travelling that far if I hadn't also experienced local things too.

Finally, we like to try out different ski areas, and even though we have our own place in Austria, we often go elsewhere to experience different resorts. So I honestly think that even if money was no issue, we would probably go to Lech or similar a few times, but still want to try other places.

D
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I stayed in a cheapie self-catering in St Anton and drove to Lech or Zur whenever I felt like it.

The mountain is the same, the White ring is the same, the snow is the same, the piste is the same and even the restaurants serve the same food. I went there to ski and not to enjoy luxury. For my momey I think it is a waste of opportunity/space to stay in a 5 star hotel when one spends most of the time on an outdoor sport. The expensive restaurants will welcome me just same as their resident guests.

Believe me after a good day of skiing I wouldn't have a problem to sleep on any bed.

Just like cars people can go for expensive models blowing extra momey to travel on the same roads.

Expensive resorts are generally well kept. The cost deters the less affluent visitors and so there is less hassle to compete for lifts and space. Other resorts also offer heated seats in the chairlifts.

Even if Lech and Zur is really that good there are also Zermatt, St Moritz, Ischgl..... within the same Alps rada screen
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Anyone stayed in a 5-star ski hotel? (I have, as you would expect) Was it worth it?

Is the Kings Parc in Verbier 5*?? 450€ a night and I was the only non-cyrillic speaker so I think it might have been. I have to say the quality of the reception staff there was quite stunning, but the breakky only average. Nothing was too much trouble and everything could be arranged. wink They went the probverbial extra kilometre. The bed had a real fur cover Shocked But in absolute terms it was not worth twice the price of a normal (Verbier) hotel...

The beautiful and perfectly reasonably priced bar was open to All & Sundry (although neither popped in during my stay) and perhaps that is the best way to enjoy such places, just swan around the bar nursing a cold one for an hour or two in the early evening and get a taste of what might had been if one had stayed on at school.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In Lech we've stayed in The Kristiania, The Arlberg and the Salome (in Oberlech). This Jan. we're staying in the Gasthof Post, which is supposed to be the best hotel in the Lech. I love these hotels in Lech and it makes the holiday for us. We have stayed in luxury hotels all over the world and I have to say that the food and service is of the best in Lech. Having said that, we can afford it (at the moment) but I would happily stay anywhere within whatever budget we have. (We never had a 'proper' holiday until our late 30's)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think you are all confused?

Do you go for SnowSports or go on Holiday?

Skiing is a sport like tennis, football etc. It is not a holiday . Does it matter what kind of shelter you have when you get off the hill? You guys need to get back to the basics.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton, sorry, but the majority of us like the experience of good food etc as well as good skiing. Not all of us can live off burgers and chips. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
p.s. I imagine you stay in St.Anton for the apres ski as well as the skiing - or do you get up in the morning, ski all day then hit the sack?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
erica2004, have you stayed in the Gotthard in Lech? I'm booked in for March and was just wondering what it's like!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stanton wrote:
Skiing is a sport like tennis, football etc.

No. Those sports demand balls.
The majority of skiers have no balls, and their goals are mountain restaurants or comfortable hotels.
latest report
red 27, Nope - but I think the hotel owners own the bakery. I can vouch for the cakes. Toofy Grin
latest report
erica2004 wrote:
stanton, sorry, but the majority of us like the experience of good food etc as well as good skiing. Not all of us can live off burgers and chips. Toofy Grin

What you talking about anyone can live off of Burger & chips , its food ?

I like quality as well which surprises me why I see so many folk calling certain suposely high end joints in Anton, Christoph, Lech & Zurs good when they are not.

erica2004 wrote:
p.s. I imagine you stay in St.Anton for the apres ski as well as the skiing - or do you get up in the morning, ski all day then hit the sack?

First lft, ski 3 hrs go home.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 20-12-08 17:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
erica2004 wrote:
This Jan. we're staying in the Gasthof Post, which is supposed to be the best hotel in the Lech.

Yes that has one of the best Chef & Stube restaurants in the Alps
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
I see so many folk calling certain suposely high end joints in Anton, Christoph, Lech & Zurs good when they are not.

Can you be more specific Puzzled Which 5* hotels you don't rate. Just in case my lot improves. Makes a change from talking about penny pinching.
I like to indulge myself occassionally but am about to join the nouveau pauvre with the demise of the pound & the recession.
I stayed in the Lorunser previously and thought it to be up there with the best in an understated way. In more modest times I stay at Dr Murrs b&b & slip into Robinsons Select for the dinner buffet with unlimited decent wine included, only charge €50 for my excessive indulgence.

p.s. Heston Blumenthal cooks a burger you would not turn your nose up at.
snow report
Lechbob wrote:
p.s. Heston Blumenthal cooks a burger you would not turn your nose up at.

Have no time for your comment but will come back in late Jan.

Heston Blumenthal is a fat, bad skinned, spotty & sweaty chef so I would not choose to eat any of his food
ski holidays
erica2004 wrote:
This Jan. we're staying in the Gasthof Post, which is supposed to be the best hotel in the Lech.

Nice place - I used to stay there regularly as a child in the late 50s early 60s with my parents. Full of antlers (even to hang your coat on) and usually the Dutch Royal Family (not to hang your coat on). I remember talking to Peter Finch in the lounge about his having just lost out to Richard Burton for the part of Mark Antony in the film Cleopatra. Also my parents playing charades with Robert Graves and his family. We took a couple of the owners' young relatives as Aupairs.
My posh past, long ago. Sigh

Lech is now about 3 times as big.
snow conditions
snowball, Ha - great stories... those were the days eh? Cool
latest report
[quote="saikee"]I stayed in a cheapie self-catering in St Anton and drove to Lech or Zur whenever I felt like it.

Hi Saikee, are you able to give me details of the cheapie in St. Anton Pls?
ski holidays
sproutski, plenty on website http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/winter/ViewPage.asp?Site=STANTON2-WINTER&PageID=206&lang=201
snow conditions
sproutski, I am not sure where on the site you find self catering but if you look on the St Anton website and put the pointer on Rooms and click accommodation list, then, on the right, change Random order to Ascending - you will get all the Hotels and B & Bs (80 pages!) starting with (approximately but not precisely) the cheapest category. This includes all the nearby villages and suburbs you can access by the shuttle bus - so look where they are (should say "location" in each entry when you click on it). (Dorf is the town centre)
ski holidays
snowball, Fabulous story. There are loads of stuffed animals in the Arlberg too. The staff were too polite to 'tell me off' when I put a dried flower in the bear's mouth. There is also a gnome in a cot. I moved him around a bit too. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Fivestar and fourstar hotels are always vital, to keep out the riffraff.

Lech and Zurs, however, are nowhere near as posh as the hype suggests.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Fivestar and fourstar hotels are always vital, to keep out the riffraff.

Lech and Zurs, however, are nowhere near as posh as the hype suggests.

Ha ha yes Slovakians, Romanians waiters dressed up in local tradtional costumes, LOL !!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton, Yes all sorts of ghastly Euro-lowlife motor-mouths fouling up the whole region! - Bring back Clark Cable and Liz'n'Dickie I say! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy