Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oh oh, is the dreaded high pressure on it's way???

Poster: A snowHead
...is it going to sit in exactly the wrong place and block all that nice snow from falling from now till March?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
no
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i don't know about france, but Austria seems to have low pressure sitting over it at the moment, with snow predicted right to the end of the forecasts. Forecasts do seem to be predicting generally that it will turn milder and drier in the french alps towards the end of Jan, where as the opposite will happen in Austria and parts of Switzerland.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What I want is deep depressions dumping snow - then high pressure for the time I'm there Toofy Grin I don't think it's too much to ask.....

You can get settled weather under high pressure systems for weeks on end without it damaging the snow too much - so nothing to worry about. Plus they can top up the worn bits with snow cannons. Probably already enough snow to last until March anyway wink !!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like it could be high pressure, but not as we've come to know it! Very Happy wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Christ...there WILL be high pressure during the season...it WILL be warm sometimes...it WILL snow lots sometimes...it WILL be dry for 14 days in as row a couple of times... I know this thread is tongue in cheek (well I hope it is) but these weather predictions are such rubbish outside of a the immediate future...no one has a clue what will happen end of Jan, feb, mar , apr etc.... rant over Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gaviscon .. saw it on the TV once, good for wind and painful heartburn. Personally, I just wait for a while to let the dreaded high pressure pass on down, enjoy letting it out as noisily as possible but take care not to follow through. Little Angel

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 18-12-08 21:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Probably already enough snow to last until March anyway

No, there isn't.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alex A, yeah, well you probably didn't sit out seasons 88-89 and 89-90 (the latter in particular) where it didn't snow for (literally) months after a reasonable early start...sure - who knows - I was just being a little naughty. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name, My frist trip in Europe since 04 and you scare me with this shite? Cheers buddy wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Herr Hefski wrote:
i don't know about france, but Austria seems to have low pressure sitting over it at the moment, with snow predicted right to the end of the forecasts. Forecasts do seem to be predicting generally that it will turn milder and drier in the french alps towards the end of Jan, where as the opposite will happen in Austria and parts of Switzerland.

Sorry, no-one. NO-ONE can predict what the weather will be doing by the end of Jan. Please stop posting unsubstantiated claptrap like this! Someone might believe you and start panicking...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
carled, Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carled, not even Michael Fish? What is the world coming too rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Probably already enough snow to last until March anyway

No, there isn't.

Really? Depends where, I suppose. I see postings of people claiming 5 metres of snow in Gressoney, several metres in Val D & Tignes, 2 metres fell in two days in Austria... Are there still places that are suffering at present? You're quite low down, aren't you Pam?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

You're quite low down, aren't you Pam?

Not that low - our apartment is at 1550m and snow in the Beaufortain is usually excellent - currently we have the same depth at 2000m as they have at the TOP of Val Thorens - but that's only 115cms, according to France Montagnes (whose report today says max depth in Courchevel is 85cms, which seems a bit improbably really). That's not going to last till March, and I think a number of places have less - Kitzbuhel, for example, at 75cms. Gressoney might have 5m but that's exceptional if true.

Anyway, snow just gets really worn out and awful after a month without snow especially after any windy/foehn episodes which leave not one flake of anything blowable away. After 2.5 months without snow I can't imagine how nasty it would be; in fact I have never experienced 2.5 months without snow even during grotty seasons.
snow conditions
carled wrote:
Someone might believe you and start panicking...

I was the one panicking.
I always take these forecasts to seriously. I think i need to get on with my life for a bit until I go.
latest report
The last few weeks have proved that the forecasts are only accurate about 24 - 48 hours in advance, 72 max.
snow report
Smokin Joe wrote:
The last few weeks have proved that the forecasts are only accurate about 24 - 48 hours in advance, 72 max.
Nope, that's not true either. rolling eyes
ski holidays
moffatross, instead of rolling your eyes give examples ............

I have been watching zermatt for two months - some days the forecasted snow arrives other days 1cm is forecast and 25 cm falls, forecasted sunny days didnt happen rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
Smokin Joe wrote:

I have been watching zermatt for two months - some days the forecasted snow arrives other days 1cm is forecast and 25 cm falls, forecasted sunny days didnt happen rolling eyes rolling eyes

Example ... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=42235&start=280#10999824

Just look for repeating signs across the model runs.

10 days ago, the GFS model modelled the precipitation arrive often enough that it could be confidenetly called, and the amounts predicted were cloe to the mark too. The imminent HP was modelled often enough too to be able to call it 13 days in advance.

Bad luck on watching Zermatt though. Smile
ski holidays
When the weather is churned up and uncertainty rules, even 48 hours might be too long to hope for. At other times it's obviously possible for people who can read the runes correctly to become more confident - and it's that indication of confidence/uncertainty which is so valuable to get from people who know what they're talking about. When the models are changing every two minutes it's fairly absurd to get either excited or despondent about what might be happening in a week's time.
ski holidays
Well said pam w,
snow report
moffatross wrote:
10 days ago, the GFS model modelled the precipitation arrive often enough that it could be confidenetly called, and the amounts predicted were cloe to the mark too.

I don't think anyone called the huge dump in Val/Tignes whilst remaining sunny in Bourg though, did they? Just goes to show how fickle the weather can be....

I can predict however that as a previous poster said, it will warm up, it will cool down, it will snow, it will be sunny, and everything inbetween during the rest of the season.

regards,

Greg
snow conditions
My worry is fog and mist at heathrow as I'm flying out from Aberdeen via heathrow on the 27th, and the first thing to be cut is the flights from scotland Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Dave Horsley, the worst thing is a delay---->> just missing connection. Happened to me this year connecting through Heathrow, allowed for a 7 hour gap but the west coast winds took 6 hours of it.
ski holidays
The high pressure system disappears at 4pm today when I finish work and go home to pack for Zermatt.
Where the snow is great and the nice weather will hopefully mean perfect skiing weather and hopefully an al fresco lunch on Xmas day.
ski holidays
Smokin Joe wrote:

If only the female of our species were as predictable as the weather eh!
snow report
kitenski, This is caused by Cumulus Nimbus clouds. They are massive thunderstorm clouds, rising many tens of thousands of feet. Their footprint is quite defined and their power means they often suck up all the moisture around them. The result is heavy precipitation on their footprint but clear skies around them. Bourg to Val is quite a distance. Often you can have a downpour at one point and be in the sunshine 200m away.

You can see if Cumulus Nimbus are forecast on the aviation reports (called METARS). Here's today's for Geneva...

191150Z 28003KT 210V020 9999 FEW035 BKN070 05/00 Q1027 NOSIG=

It decodes as: issued on 19th at 1150 Zulu (this is GMT). Wind from 280 degrees at 3knts. Locally wind veering between 210 degrees and 20 degrees. Horizontal visibility is more than 10km (known as 'all the nines'). Less than 25% cloud cover at 3500ft, less than 75% cloud cover at 7000ft. 5 degC with a dew point of 0 degC. Pressure at sea level 1027mb and no significant change expected.

If you see one of these with CB in the cloud section and especially something like OVC010CB +SHSN it means overcast at 1000ft with embedded cumulus nimbus and heavy showers of snow. Put 'metar taf LSGG' into Google and it will find these reports for you.

There's no fog expected at Heathrow (EGLL) today. Fog shows up as BR or FG and reduced visibility, in these reports, normally with very low cloud heights, as this is what fog is... very low cloud. You can check for it by searching 'TAF EGLL' in Google.

Metars are current reports, TAFs are forecasts, normally valid for 18 hours and useful for 12+ hours. TAFS may have weather changes such as TEMPO 1912/1917 9000 SHRA PROB30 which means there's a 30% chance that, temporarily, on the 19th between 12h00 and 17h00 zulu hours, the visibility will fall to 9000m with showers of rain.

Good stuff weather, innit. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bar shaker, snowHead Great.
ski holidays
Maybe everyone is getting extra stressed by the weather this year because of the good snow fall start. Panic from all those not going until Feb half term, or a week later for me. When will the stress end, what can I do ..... or forgot it is Chrismas next week .... stress have not been shopping yet....
latest report
under a new name wrote:
Alex A, yeah, well you probably didn't sit out seasons 88-89 and 89-90 (the latter in particular) where it didn't snow for (literally) months after a reasonable early start...sure - who knows - I was just being a little naughty. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Glass half empty... I remember far many more occassions when it was a normal season and regular snow Very Happy
snow report
Alex A, you older than me then snowHead snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy