Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tahoe's Realistic Season

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
All,

I've spent some time scanning the boards, and have a relatively simple question. We want to hit Tahoe this season, but because of other commitments, we may not be able to get out there before the end of March. I'm looking to everyone's personal experiences on how late into March/April you can book and almost be guaranteed snow. I know it's not an exact science, and who knows with the early season dumping we're getting this year, but I still welcome your thoughts.

Thanks much.

Keith
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
graffka, I've skied at Squaw Valley (once) in early April. The experience was similar to the Alps at that time of year. Pretty good high and early, a bit mushy and slushy lower down later on.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
graffka

Ditto laundryman's comments. We skied there late March a few years ago & found all the Tahoe resorts we visited had full snow cover. I reckon you'll have no problem.

Where are you flying to? If it's San Francisco you could maybe hedge your bets, book no accommodation until nearer the time & leave Mammoth on the back burner as a back up?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Keith

No problem at all. We have skied there around the 20th April and conditions were great along with those wonderful views. Squaw opens through to end of May anyway. You may get lucky and get some powder as well. Very Happy
Only one word of caution. The resorts start closing down lifts and parts of the mountains but will still charge you full price for a lift ticket!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We were there the last week of March this year and it was fine. I think they had a bumper January so had tons of snow left. The resort stayed open until 4th May but by then only a handful of lifts were open. I hope to go back there Easter 2010 which will be the first week in April.

Also some friends skied there for their honeymoon in early April 2006 and it was great then (judging by the photos!)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Went to Heavenly in early April 2007 and had great conditions. It snowed heavily when we arrived followed by clear blue skies. Perfect.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
been there and at Mammoth in March/April. Had a great time on all trips. They have spring conditions which means hard/crunchy to start with, especially in the shade, softening up as the sun comes up and getting a bit sloppy, especially lower down, towards the end of the day. That then freezes overnight and thus you start hard/crunchy again.

If you follow the sun and go on the trails progressively as the sun warms them up you can have a great time (in company with the locals who will be doing the same....that said, midweek, all the resorts were pretty quiet)

Weather wise it was either snowing or a bluebird day, they didnt seem to do any other kind of day. We had a fair amount of new snow on each of our trips.

Take sunscreen and use it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is what Alpine Meadows on the North Shore is currently reporting (there is a storm passing over)

Snow & Surface Conditions

At the Base At the Summit
Snow Depth 26" 58"
24-hr Snow Total 10" 14"
Storm Snow Total 10" 14"
Temp (at time of reporting) 23° F 18° F
Wind (at time of reporting) 21 WSW 86 WSW
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Personal experience is interesting, and I lived in San Francisco for a few years so I can add some, but what you should be looking for is statistics on where to plan April skiing in Tahoe.

As always, Tony Crocker (an actuary who loves to ski) is the place to go (go to California link): http://webpages.charter.net/tcrocker818/

The variability of Tahoe snowfall makes April skiing a risk, but Kirkwood and Squaw should be ok.
For much greater certainty, plan for an extra three hour drive and go to Mammoth.

Note that in Tahoe the pattern is usually one/two days of big snowfall (3 feet) followed by lots of sunny Californian days. Repeat every 2 weeks or so.
So even if the base is ok, without recent snow Tahoe's snow can get really baked, which isn't great for skiing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
zeroz, I love Mr Crocker's bio. Not to denigrate his statistics, but he seems like a geek to beat all geeks. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whenever the Where To Ski? discussion comes up, people always say "when I went there..." and "I have been there 4 times..." etc etc. Crocker then comes in with the last 40 years of snow statistics at that resort, standard deviation, elevation, average depth, terrain exposure and more.
It's very detailed and analytical as far as snow predictions go, as you would expect from an actuary.

I'm not sure he is the person I would want to sit next to at a dinner party, but he is the guy for snow stats.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
zeroz,
Quote:

I'm not sure he is the person I would want to sit next to at a dinner party, but he is the guy for snow stats.

Yeah, that's what I meant.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy