Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Confessions of a 30 something seasonaire or “Hello from Les Arcs”

Poster: A snowHead
pam w,
I certainly hope so! Looks promising at the moment but after last year I'm not holding my breath!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe not a fartbag, but skiing in shorts in January? Mad dogs and Englishmen come to mind.... I saw a young beginner skiing towards La Poudreuse restaurant at 4 p.m. , this afternoon, in sub zero temperatures. I think he was trying to win a fancy dress competition....[img]http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/emailPhoto?uname=u3awalker&iid=5291970558211367442 [/img]
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So thursday was reasonably uneventful, but just practicing was the order of the day. Headed out for a curry that night in cham which was nice. Friday woke up early doors but my back was really giving me grief, so rather than heading out in Cham decided to call it quits and packed my stuff to head home for the day. Nice drive back through the val d'arly and then was home in Les Arcs for around 12 noon. Back had eased up a bit by then so headed out for a bit of practice.

Saturday dawned quite bright so headed out for some more boarding but didn't take my sunnies as it was overcast, and after a few runs the force wasn't strong so decided to head back and pick up some sunnies and some skis instead. Did a few random runs, but ran into massive crowds on the piste so it wasn't that much fun Laughing

Got a text from Eamon & Joan and hooked up with them for some lunch in the arpette which was still quite busy, seemed to be popular with the french daytrippers / weekenders judging by the number of fartbags and rear entry boots knocking around the place. After lunch nipped down into 1600 via Cachettes - parts of this run felt really really horrible snow verging from hard packed to fat iceballs that were super yucky. Went back up and did Arolles which was new to me and I'm sure would be great on some better snow, but wasn't in bad shape, and then did some more random runs before heading down to 1800 to buy some postcards.

Stopped on the way down to watch the pisteus practice their evacuation procedures - they'd closed villarets for the day and were practising lowering people down from chairs.

Quite interesting to watch how they got down to the chair - climb up the pylon above the chair and then rig up a pulley, fall arrester and a break rope (like you'd use on a death slide) and then slide down the cable to the chair.

Once at the chair they then hoisted up a big pulley on a ratchet which was attached to the cable, then the red sheet (in photo) was setup as a sling to allow people in the chair to be lowered down with a guy on the ground taking the load (along with the ratchet). The whole process seemes quite efficient but I'd hate to see how long it takes to evacuate 600 plus people from somewhere like Bois De L'ours - especially as probably 75% of the punters on the chair couldn't ski down having got back on snow...

Still the funniest bit had to be when a skiclub kid took out the safety netting the pisteurs had errected to keep the punters clear of the 'drop zone' - obviously accidentally but you would expect a 'green jacket' to be able to avoid the netting. The kid stopped, took a look round at the netting and started to turn around to ski off...the pisteur in charge of the exercise (suspended from the cable) had spotted the kid and told him in no uncertain terms to go and fix the problem he'd created - in fact the kid got quite a bollocking for not moving fast enough on more than one occasion.

Still as he's likely to become either a racer a moniteur du ski or a pisteur when he grows up a swift 'verbal' kick up the backside was probably what was required. In the end another pisteur had to come and help refix the pole as the snow was pretty solid in that area and a hammer was required. I think the kid got his name taken as well, so that'll be a bit embarrassing for him when it's reported back to skiclub..green jackets have their responsibilities as well as their priviledges..

By this stage the sun had dropped below the yard-arm and so it was time to head for home and a nice warm shower. Tomorrow plan is to try and ski with the skiclub and see how that goes, then monday/tuesday will hope to board on some fresh pow...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's a load of snow forecast for next week. Roll on Jan 24th. I cannot wait!

Also, bertie bassett, this has probably been asked before but any recommendations for a couple of warm up runs to get my ski legs back. Will be collecting skis and dropping people to ski school in Villards in Arcs 1800 so anywhere around there for a starting point would be good!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
anna_1104 wrote:
There's a load of snow forecast for next week. Roll on Jan 24th. I cannot wait!

Also, bertie bassett, this has probably been asked before but any recommendations for a couple of warm up runs to get my ski legs back. Will be collecting skis and dropping people to ski school in Villards in Arcs 1800 so anywhere around there for a starting point would be good!

Well the obvious thing to do is to take the Chantel chair out of 1800 (free on a sat/sun) and when you get off the lift turn right and head back down to the bottom of the same chair. This is a wide blue run that's pretty flat and gentle and great for a bit of a warmerupper. When you've got bored of that then take the same lift and rather than turning hard right and down when you get off, turn right and then look for the belvedere run, which will take you across the mountain a little towards the main bubble out of 1800 - turn right when you are under the bubble and you should be fine to run down to it.

Then head up the bubble, take that and get off at mid-station - pop your skis on and then take the obvious blue(s) back down towards 1800 - grands melezes is the name of the run.

Enjoy your trip!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bertie bassett, thanks a mil!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Couple of 'funny moments' from Saturday...

I was random skiing, trying fto find bits of runs / resorts I hadn't really explored yet - so I was down in 1600 and I thought, there's got to be some more lifts rounds here, I'll get my map out and have a look - not that I make a habit at looking at a map generally, but I was well out of my usual territory. I'd patted my pocket on the way out to check I had a map so I stuck my hand in the pocket pulled it out to have a butchers and slight problem - it was a map of Courmayeur Laughing not that handy really so I had to wing it..

So in the queue for the Varet, I noticed the information desk and thought I should grab a les arcs map, as (at that time - now fixed) I didn't have the emergency numbers in my phone. Chatting to the cutie in the booth she asked me "Vous ete Rousse?" - I mean do I look like I've got more money than sense, and a nasty line in ski clothing? I explained I was english, and she apologised and said she was just looking for an excuse to try out the Russian she'd be learning...

Next step into the Varet bubble, and got chatting to a seasonaire who was running a chalet in Peisey - he'd talked about some nice lines he'd found by going to the top of lanchettes, straight across and under/around the avalanche warning signs and then down the area there - he looked a little surprised when I commented that it'd been known to be nick-named death valley, for obvious reasons!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Today was AWESOME !!!

Got up early to get onto Peisey lift for 09:20, made the bottom of Chantel for 09:35, withouth really putting my foot down - plan was to do some skiing with the Skiclub, as having joined I felt I needed to get some value for my money! So hooked up with the rep Connel, and a small crew (7 of us in total) - we headed off and pretty much as we set off the snow started falling! It was quite windy uptop (transarc upper section closed) so we did some runs on the 1800 face before heading over the top via col des frettes, couple of runs over that side before heading back via comborciere and into 1600 for a quick coffee. Back out quite quickly and then did a quick run of cachette before doing a couple of laps of Arolles - I did say above it would be great of better snow, and funnily enough it was absolutely fantastic...enoguh snow so it felt like flowing in places, but given the lack of visibility it was quite hard on the legs, and my poor technique.

So after a couple of rounds of that I decided that if It snowed anymore I might struggle to get back to Peisey, not being that experienced at skiing lumpy stuff - I mean it's not like I've had much/any practice in the last 4 weeks!! Chatted to Connel and he was cool with that so headed back to 'home turf' via a few random runs into 1800. Didn't stop to take any photies as the conditions were disgusting. Eventually found my way back to derby and stopping for a quick bouteille de l'eau and a scooby snack I found my second wind and then decided to push the button by doing some laps of Bellette and Renard but only working down the edges, and just outside the edges of the pistes - focusing on keeping my feet nearer together and flowing the turns. Didn't get it right all the time but still good practice. Eventually headed down Myrtilles and took the grizzly but by this stage I was seriosuly running out of va-va-voom and really couldn't see a thing as my goggles were snowy on the outside and fogged on the inside. Up and down grizzly and then ran for home making it back to the squirel for lunch at 15:30 completely cream crackered but having had a great day and really felt like I'd made some progress on my technique..

Big lunch in the pub, shower and then 2 hours kip was the order of the day. Got the iron out later for a bit of a board waxing session ready for another fun day tomorrow!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bertie bassett, I'm so jealous! Sounds like you're having a brilliant time. I can't wait til I can afford to do a season in a resort. Oh how I envy you with my one weeks skiing this year...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well if yesterday was the day my skiing moved on a level, today was the day I re-ignited my enthusiasm for snowboarding. Not quite sure what happened to my boarding mojo, but I guess I'd enjoyed the skiing a lot and felt I was making progress with that in December but my boarding was stuck on a plateau. I guess the concrete pistes didn't help and increasingly I'd taken my skis rather than my board when I'd rolled out of bed in the morning. I'd hoped the McNab clinic in Cham would help, but if anything it did the opposite as I found it very difficult to unlearn 10 years of bad habits and learn the right technique. Indeed I was enjoying it so little that I split a day early, came back to Les Arcs and got my skis on for the afternoon, and seriously contemplated putting my board kit up for sale...

HEY THAT WAS LAST WEEK !!!!!

Today didn't make 1st lift but got out about 10 and headed across to the Derby - the 10cm of snow that had fallen Sunday / Overnight had freshened things up a lot and there was powder stashes to be had everywhere! Spent the whole day running the same lift finding new lines to be taken off-piste - and it was seriously ace. Ok so it's not massively steep but as a warmerupper for my off-piste technique then it was great. Started to get a little chopped up by the end of the day and I was so tired by 4pm I was making loads of silly mistakes so sacked it off and went home for a well deserved cuppa...

So probably my best 2 days ever this season - one day each on both board and skis and boarding mojo seriously restored !!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Life's full of decisions - and certainly as a professional ski-bum the decisions are tough..what time to get out of bed what kit to take, where to go, who to ride with and what to have for lunch...very very tough!

So today I didn't make 1st lift as it was really rubbish visibility and I'm not a massive fan, still got out about 10 having chosen my skis as I thought I'd largely be piste skiing. Still after about 20 minutes the sun popped out so going off-piste was more of an appealing proposition. Oh bug I'm not on my board - still it was good practice to do some 'edge of piste off piste' on my skis, working on keeping them together and the skis pointing in the same direction - not quite tree running yet but a useful learning curve. Still after a couple of hours I had the urge to do some real off-piste, so headed back down and grabbed a sandwich and my board.

Back up the mountain and spent the rest of the arvo shooting around finding some lines through the trees and generally mainly doing anything that being on-piste - certainly felt safer than being on piste with quite a large number of improvers in the obvious pinch points (top of derby). On of the UCPA instructors did a classic - caterpillaring all his group all the way across the piste which is probably 50m wide, and forcing people to 'cut through the line' in order to get past, which is probably more off-putting to nervous learners. I had a gentle word and suggested he tried to only occupy 75% off the piste in future, which was met with a gallcic shrug and a reply of "I can go anywhere!!"

Here's a couple of photos from the day: -

Irish night tonight in the Squirrel, but early doors and first lifts tomorrow as it's been snowing for the last 3 hours or so.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wow,
great snow here in Les Arcs!! waist high powder in parts (I fell over there of course) having a grrrrreat time. Paul McD
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
so jealous! 1 exam to go and 3 days til I'm there!!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bertie this is truly inspiring stuff, I'm in my late 20s now and I keep figuring that if I don't do this in the next few years then I may miss my chance. I think the main hurdle is of course financial. Any job vacancies in the local bars Wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bertie bassett, I'd missed this thread (seeing as it's in the proper place wink ) good to hear you're having a fantastic time hope you get more snow when this next system moves in, it's looking promising here.
ski holidays
So more fun fun fun on the slopes.

Wednesday headed to La Plagne to collect my gilet from redrunmarcus and do a bit of random skiing around the resort, as well as doing some naivguessing for the M-V challenge. Got to about 1:30 and I was in plagne centre and freezing my nads off - it was definitely colder than the days before, and come 1:30 my hands, ears and toes were frozen. Decisions, Decisions - do I go to a restaturant for a toasty warming tartiflette or do I just burn home and grab a bowl of soup, decided the latter was the way to go, promptly had the soup and warmed up digging the car out. I guess the cold had sapped my mojo a little as I didn't make it out that night...

Having got the gilet thought it would make sense to set a time for the V-M challenge - given how quiet it is in Les A this week, I felt if I left Villaroger around 12 then I'd miss the worst of the queues as ski-school (AM sessions) will have finished and people might be sacking off for lunch. Got the route out a little wrong and ended up doing a bit to much poling. Go to V around 12:20 and chilled for about 5 minutes, water and scooby snack before heading off. Good time to VE - 51 minutes 40 seconds, with not that much room for improvement - perhaps a couple of minutes in better snow lower down and with more time on skis. Just missed a departing shuttle (oh bug) and so had to wait for the next one which cost me about 16-18 minutes in the total time. Then the route to Montybear was pretty strightforward but I still made on slight navigation mistake wihch I think cost me a couple of minutes - so I reckon you can do it under 2 hours in total if you get lucky with the VE.

Thought about blasting home to make the return time, but the knees were hurting a little and by this time the pistes were filling up with post-lunchers - so came back doing some random skiing and not paying that much attention to which runs I was taking - probably a good idea to not have the foot on the gas as i nearly got run off the piste by a crazy brit who just randomly turned and headed off to the edge, leaving me very little room to get past without diving off-piste. I probably was the giveway skier, being initially the uphill skier, but when he started to turn I'd nearly drawn level and he just snaked my wave.... Took a different route back than usual from Plagne Bellecote to the VE which was enjoyable, although the run marked 'expert skiers only' was pretty dull and unventful - it might have been Murs which is marked as black on the piste map and red with poles, but I'd need to go back and check when I'm not in so much of a hurry to get home...

Quizz night in the squirrel is tonight (moved from Monday) so provided I can keep my eyes open then I'll be there...more snow forcast for the weekend, and currently snowing outside!!
snow conditions
bertie bassett, been watching this thread for a while now and have to say 2 things

(1) you are a lucky flucking bar steward

(2) Thanks so much for the details !! Toofy Grin

Keep up the good work - clear to me that you're never going back to the 9-5 scene again ....
ski holidays
Got to love the frenchies - apart from the snow blades, rear-entry boots and fart-bags, there's a couple of things they do that I just don't get...

1) Skiing without ski-poles - time and time again I see people on proper skis, roaring around without poles - which I just don't understand, surely poles make things a lot easier than without especially on the flat bits wink

2) Doing the 'pylon run' - for some reason les francais seem to have an obsession with dropping down off-piste under the lift-pylons - which would be fine to 'show-off' if you're pulling backflips, 360s and similar but in the general it looks really rubbish. The funniest had to be a group of 4 French boarders who I spotted in La Plagen on Thursday, doing the lift run under 'coqs' up from Montalbert, they didn't even manage to get one turn in over the 200m vertical I saw them tackle - where's the fun in side-slipping all the way down?

If someone can shed some light on this odd behaviour, I'd be grateful!!
latest report
So one of the interesting things about doing a season is experiencing all the different weather conditions, and today was certainly 'interesting'...

It was puking it down when I got up so I had a leisurely brekkie taking my skis, as due to poor vis, I reckoned the hors-piste potential was limited. Got out about 10:15 and it was a very different day from the day before. Really bumpy on piste, with big lumps in places and very little definition between 'on-piste' and 'off-piste' especially in the commonly used areas. Did a few runs on 2300 just to get a feel and then headed over to the Derby. Found it quite hard going as couldn't really see the bumps and I think theres something missing in my technique in these conditions, as I felt I was always being thrown onto the tail of my skis rather than forward (see post in BZK). Visibility was poor, probably a maximum of 3 piste makers ahead, but keeping the orange topped poles to my right handside, and being on runs that I know well made it easier, so I didn't need to panic.

Amazing how different a sport it was to the day before when I went from Villaroger to Montybear and back - felt like someting totally alien to the day before. Still it was all good practice but after a number of runs on both bellette and renard I was knackered and headed home for a warming bowl of soup and to dry out. Headed back out by 2pm on the board, but by this time the snow had turned to rain @ 1650 upto 2300 and so the snow had got quite damp and heavy, and it had got a lot windier indeed. I did one run of 2300 and found it horrible, really hard work both on-piste and off-piste and a score of about 1 out of 10 on the enjoyment factor - if it hadn't rained it would have been great but the rain made it rubbish, so I decided that as I still have some 90 days more skiing/boarding to go this season that I could head home and dry out.

Turned the heating on full, grabbed a duvet and a cup of tea and curled up on the sofa wathching one of the DVD's from my landlords collection - some flick with wahlberg and clooney and gold, but not once of the Ocean's series...still quite entertaining and definitely the better decisions than being out in rubbish conditions on the slopes.

I wonder what time the snow-ploughs will be out tomorrow, today they seemed a little slow of the mark and i watched the inter-village coach struggle early this morning, from the comfort and warmth of my bedroom window - rather not be on a txfr bus tomorrow...
ski holidays
Bit of a late night last night, stayed in the pub shooting the breeze with a few of the crew until around 2am, quite an amusing night in a low-key, low stress kind of a way.

Having said in another thread that one of the best ways to improve you're flat light skiing/riding was practice then I thought I'd better put that into effect, so headed out on the board today about 11 even though I couldn't see much further than the end of my nose. As I got up through the trees on the Peisey then it cleares a little, but I think it was luring me into a false sense of security as it came and went throughout the day. In poor vis could see 2 piste markers, when it was sunny could see all the way to the Vagere from the Derby and vice versa. Did some laps of 2300 and it was just ridiculous - the depth of the powder off the side of grive was stupid. I found it quite hard initially as I was not getting the nose up enough and ended up doing involuntary nose presses, which end up in a pile of snow fairly rapidly. Bumped into AllanM randomly in the middle of the piste (not literally luckily) and then did a couple of laps with him before losing him in the mist.

Got bored of that after a while and so headed out to the Derby - a quick look left when the clouds moved showed than nothing higher was open, and indeed they were banging the cannons all afternoon on the upperslopes, and you could sometimes see the 'cloudburst' or whatever the technical term is, for when they dropped a load of snow. Around Bellette was fun and so I did some runs there (for a change) and also did renard and coqs playing on / around the edges. Eventually a couple of buddies came out and so we did some runs, before heading down Reches into 1800. Talk about a different sport - the top half was fat lumpy stuff, the bottom half was packed and icy in places - probably due to quite a lot of people on the piste, and not really many runs open. Took vagere and then did Golf as the last run of the day - OMG it was fabulous - just solid powder all the way, a bit choppy in parts but fun all the way.

Still snowing a little now, so plan is a well deserved early night and then on 1st lift tomorrow, and will probably head back to golf, when my legs have some lift left in them...
snow report
"Silly Sunday" dawned bright and sunny which with the vast amount of snow fallen tempted out the day trippers in there hoardes...

This is a view of the top of the transarc at 13:00 today

I was feeling a bit broken from the day before, so I didn't rush to make first lift and instead got out about 11 on my skis for a bit of a potter. What was ridiculous to see was the number of people going off-piste, into some quite iffy sectors without backpacks, so no chance that they had a probe of shovel and probably not a transceiver either. The avalanche risk was 4, and warning signs all over the place for people to stay on piste but as usual people seemed to ignore all the warnings. The pisteurs had left all the higher lifts shut (varet and above, e.g. Grand Col, Ag Rouge) but still people were risking it, and there had been clear signs of recent sllide activity - this was the side of the Gd. Renard..

and Arandelieres had been completely covered by a slide

Even though Genepi was officially closed, people were cutting across from the top of Lanchettes and skiing down below the slide pictured - I even saw one group set off 'en masse' and ski the bit below the slide as a group of 6...

Well hopefully they won't end up like this but talk about tempting fate

I did a couple of runs down plagnettes which was suitably bumpy and was actually good for improving my technique - am I starting to enjoy bumps on skis? Good job too as the bit of Reches between the top of Grd Renard lift and Derby lift had big fat ones on it, and this was definitely catchhing out a few people. Eventually sacked it off around 2pm as my neck was pretty sore, probably from whiplash due to all the 'endos' I did accidentally yesterday.

Lets see what tomorrow brings...hopefully less idiots around that's for sure...
ski holidays
Hi,

Just back from Les Arcs, awesome powder every day, 9am to 4.30pm. loved it!!!
3€ a pint 4-6pm in the Ambiente bar in Arc 1800 (Villards) then wine in the apartment, happy days.
ski holidays
bertie bassett, Keep the reports coming, I'm out 25th feb with my family staying in 1800 can't wait. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quiet couple of days, woke up with a sore neck on Monday, from saturday's nose plants so didn't bother going out on Monday, just chilled with some tea and t'internet...tuesday feeling a bit better so headed out for a ski, but the vis was terrible. Did about 90 minutes skiing around the trees, down to vallandry and off the derby but then sacked it off at lunchtime, and spent the arvo on the sofa with tea and Jack Bauer.
Fair play to those people who'd been out for most of the day, rather them than me today...

Tonight is the Irish night in the pub..which is normally a good laugh...will aim to ski some more tomorrow after giving them a quick tune up this arvo...
snow report
Sounds like you are having a brilliant time !!

Couple of Q's for you ...
what is it like going back down to Plan Peisey now the handbag is open?
Have you been over to La Plagne much?? Have you worked out good here but not there, crowded here but not there type patterns yet ?!

Looking forward to our trip out on 7th March Smile not too long now...

Have you met Garry and Terry from Bayona ? (Think they sink the odd drink at the squirrel - particularly on weeks with bad guests!!!!)
latest report
bertie bassett, I see on the Les Arcs thread you have only been to La Plagne for about 4 days so far... Coming with a group (and loveski, ) 3rd time for most in Peisey - is full Paridiski worth the extra?? or is it still better skiing on the LA side? (seems to be lots of comments about runs to VE (aka Flying Handbag) being icy on the Montchavin side. Great report BTW, March is getting closer.......
snow report
loveski, onaplateau, I am also in Les Arcs from the 7th March, though in 2000 in a group of 8.

bertie bassett, also enjoying the thread as a nearly 30 something seasonaire wannabe myself Smile
latest report
onaplateau, I'm in Les Coche on 22nd Feb for a short break and am also wondering which pass to get. LP, LA or Paradiski?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bar shaker, I'm sure whichever I do will be wrong!! If I get the decouverte one, I'll end up forking out for extra days in LP, if I get the full Paridiski I bet I'll spend all my time in Les Arcs, bought the full Paridiski 2 years ago and managed the grand total of one return trip on the VE and didn't even get off at the other end! Let us know how you get on in Feb and what option was right for you in the end.
ski holidays
onaplateau if you like to cover a few km's i'd go for the full paradiski pass, we did over Christmas/NY week and enjoyed the trips across even though we were staying right at the far end of La Plagne in Montalbert ALSO without the full pass you wont be able to have a go at the (in)famous Montalbert - Villaroger Challenge!

If you havent heard of this do a search, basically fastest time from one end of Paradiski to the other and back Very Happy
snow report
bertie bassett, Something you are not telling us? Did you meet her in the Squirrel?

http://youtube.com/v/XfvNpS9B850
ski holidays
So Wednesday dawned a little foogy in the valley, and still my neck was a little iffy so spent some of the morning in bed and then got up to give my board and skis a quick brazillian. Got out about 12 on my skis on a mission to do some more bumps practice. Skied over to 2000 and did plagnettes several times which was good and then did some other bits and bobs before heading to 1800 and the vagere. Decision time at the top.. golf (more bumps) or something a little less challenging. Oh well if you don't go you won't know so headed down golf which was eventful. Quite soft in places round the edges and the bumps weren't fully rounded out, but was still a bit of a challenge. Still made it down more or less in once piece and without falling on my bum, so I guess that was a success. Now need to tidy it up a bit more, so might do more tomorrow... Didn't go out on wed night, stayed in with tea and more JackB.

Thursday - Jour De Deux Domaines - Skied around in 1800/2000 for most of the morning - wanted to take some photos of the speed-flying but it was on strike like the rest of france, and the Marmottes on the lift in 1950. Was going to head up the rouge but the queue for the cable car was ridiculous, so did a quick couple of blast rounds the lower section of Arandelieres. Then come around 12 decided to head off to La Plagne for a quick tour of the glacier which I hadn't yet been to this season. No real queues on the way over/up as I was skiing around lunchtime, although other people have spoken of a 50 minute delay on the VE at 10:00 heading to LP. I guess it was the 1st day in the week with decent vis from kick off, so no doubt lots of people wanted to use their 'discovery day' pass. The glacier was super warm - really was a day for just a shell and a base layer rather than a mid layer too but without a backpack, I couldn't doo much about it. Interesting to see the changes made to la combe from a few years ago, as it seems to have been 'dumbed down' a little, at the same time as they've formally upgraded la Chiaupe from a red to a black. Headed back around 3:30, as usual the snow on the way back Mont Blanc in particular was terrible - very icy in many bits... I wanted to try route des bauches but it wasn't obvious at the top of Arpette whether it was open or not, and being a smidge short on time (if long queues) then I left that for another day.

Thursday night - was comedy night in the Squirrel - Will had shipped in Dave Fulton and a crazy canuck guy who looked like justin lee collins. Both were seriously funny and a good time was had by all...

Friday - got out on the skis around 11 - did some running around with a couple of mates who run a chalet in Peisey which was nice. Headed over to 2000 (bit habit forming this) and had lunch in Chez Eux, oppostie the Lanchettes lift - the pizzas were huge and very filling - no need for dinner then. In the afternoon they wanted to head home (to many bevvies the night before perhaps) so I just did some blasting on my own. Saw piste patrol who had setup a speed trap on Ariandelieres..

Bit of a shame as this is a great blasting piste, but better safe than sorry. Finally called it a day around 4:30 after a not overly tiring but pretty enjoyable day.

Not sure of the plan for the weekend, will probably do more skiing but not too tough as I have lessons with New Gen on Monday and need to make sure I'm on form for that...
ski holidays
loveski wrote:
Sounds like you are having a brilliant time !!

Couple of Q's for you ...
what is it like going back down to Plan Peisey now the handbag is open?

Hmm seems to be ok - although I'm never going in that direction at 10am which I guess is probably when it's at the busiest. Stick to the Reds however as the snow seems to hold a little better (slightly) compared too retour plan peisey. I tend to take L'ourson down as it's the least busiest, this is the one below the stade.

loveski wrote:

Have you been over to La Plagne much?? Have you worked out good here but not there, crowded here but not there type patterns yet ?!

I guess 4 or 5 times now...not sure whether I've worked out the crowds, but plagne bellecote is a bottleneck (some things never change...), plagne centre can be chaos and the top bit down from the Roche De Mio is like the M25 on a friday afternoon. Ran into a big queue on Verdons Sud lift the other day as well.

loveski wrote:

Have you met Garry and Terry from Bayona ? (Think they sink the odd drink at the squirrel - particularly on weeks with bad guests!!!!)

Nope haven't - well I think not...
snow report
onaplateau wrote:
bertie bassett, I see on the Les Arcs thread you have only been to La Plagne for about 4 days so far... Coming with a group (and loveski, ) 3rd time for most in Peisey - is full Paridiski worth the extra?? or is it still better skiing on the LA side? (seems to be lots of comments about runs to VE (aka Flying Handbag) being icy on the Montchavin side. Great report BTW, March is getting closer.......

I would get a 'decouverte' pass - that gives you one day on the other side which seems to be enough for most people - if you find yourself spending more than one day in the other resort then you're probably staying in the wrong one...
ski holidays
bar shaker wrote:
onaplateau, I'm in Les Coche on 22nd Feb for a short break and am also wondering which pass to get. LP, LA or Paradiski?

Well IMHO I find the runs around montchavin/les coches a little icy generally speaking, but you're probably not more than one lift and one run away from the Vanoise, so sking les arcs is pretty simple from their. Although having said that then you can be in Plagne centre in not much more than 40 minutes if you put your foot down so the La Plagne side is pretty accesible.

If you're only on a short break then I'd perhaps just buy a La Plagne pass, and if you want to day trip to les arcs, buy a one day extension. However if you ski from 1st lift to last lift with a 10 minute break to lunch and blast all the reds then get a full paradiski pass and make the best of both domains..

Enjoy Paradiski...
ski holidays
Saturday dawned bright and sunny, so was on the lift at ten and did a couple of laps of Bellette and others of the Derby. It was so well groomed and completely empty so I found myself going down it very quickly in fact somewhat scarily so, cos I thought the pain if I crashed would have been extreme. Still no harm done and met up with the crew at 11am at the top of the Peisey. 6 of us all on skis. Well I think it was good that I got the practice in at going fast, as we spent the whole day charging around at Mach 10 as the pistes were pretty empty. Lots of ground was covered and lots of fun was had by all until it was time to head for home. Come 4pm at the bottom of the Derby I had to go round for a couple more runs whilst the girls and one of the guys headed home gently (the others had stopped for a vin chaud) - unfortunately one of the girls (an Esprit Nanny) fell about 10 yds up from the Peisey lift and banged her wrist. She made it back to the squirrel, whereupon one of the staff took a quick look at it and drove her round to the medical centre - it transpires it was broken which was a bad ending to a day that had been a lot of fun upto that point. First staff breakage of the season in Plan-Peisey, but hopefully she'll still be able to work, and get back to skiing before the end of the season. In the evening went to the mont-blanc with a crew from the squirrel which was good fun...

Sunday got up to ski with the Skiclub crew - met up with the rep and also with Jayne Durham & Mr. JD Only 3 of us 'locals' and another guy who had just come out but was staying to the end of the season. This would put the reps local knowledge to the test but he managed to cope pretty well - I found I was jumping in to do the 'tour guide' bit somewhat, as the rep was a bit slow off the mark with this is '2000' etc. for the benefit of the newby. Also found the slow pace a little tedious after the speeding of the day before. Lunch at Pre. St. Esprit - they have a great salad buffett with a big plateful for only 5 euros which was very tasty. Went to top of Comborciere and then was tempted to try malogvert as that was where the group was going and Jayne said the bumps weren't that bad. Hmm well I foound it qiute tricky as they are qiute big and irregular, but with some judicious side-slipping I managed to get down the bottom without falling over or losing a ski or other crisis. Did a few more runs but called it a day around 3 as I didn't want to kill myself before tomorrow's lessons. Did a quick wax and edge and then went to pub to watch the footie.

Tonight early to bed - ready for tomorrows lessons - a bit of snow forecast tonight which should add to the fun..
snow report
So after an early night sunday, I got up early ready to make my way to vallandry for an 09:15 start with New Generation Ski School. Unfortunately the Peisey lift (my morning one) only opens at 09:15, so I had to get round to vallandry via road. Do I drive or take the navette gratuite? Well it's more friendly to the mountain to take the bus, so I duly walked the 20 yds to the bus stop, and stood around for 5 minutes before the bus turned up. Hopped on on the way upto the vanoise hotel, as it was considerably warmer inside than standing in the cold. Obviously quiet in resort as no-one esle hopped on and we were at the bar Mont Blanc 5 minutes later - well skiing down is better than climbing up steps so I hopped off the bus and skied down, weaving my way though a big line of about 60 kids that were obviously on a school trip all lined up at the bottom of the slope. Bit of an error (from my side) on the meeting point, but I quickly spotted the blue jacket and met up with John Thomas for the morning lesson.

Small group - only 3 of us in total, so it's a bit like private tuition - Monday worked hard on stance - looking at how you stand on the skis, and doing a number of drills such as hop turns and standing / turning on the outside ski only, which I found quite hard. Then did some work on initialising the turn early (nearer 12 o'clock than 3 o'clock). John is a GREAT instructor - he's really friendly and very good at getting his point across in various different ways for people who learn in different manners.

After lessons then hooked up with some of the guys from the pub and a couple of ski-beaters for a bit of a cruise around. Given that we were staying mainly around the Derby lift then it was a bit of a random group day, as people came and went from the group. Unfortunately having broken Annie on Saturday, we then broke Terry on Monday - just riding down Bellette, he hit mach 10 and then unfortunately caught an edge and went down hard, flipping two or three times end over end. I was following him down so helped him to the edge of the piste, and then took my skis off to make a cross, and check he was ok. About 10 minutes later he said he could ride down, so he went down with one of the girls, leaving one of the Ski-Beat nannies and myself to cruise around together. Unfortunately Terry has fractured a couple of his verterbrae and is being flown home. Sad end to a season for him..

We did a couple of runs and then hooked up with a couple of others and headed over to 1800. All the upper lifts were closed so only the Vagere and Transarc midstation was open. I randomly bumped into Rob@rar on the way down to 1800 so did another couple of runs with him, so I could get some technique pointers. Come around 2:45 it was getting silly windy so we stopped at the arpette for a coffee, and after looking out the window at the snow being blown off the runs, and the lifts going sideways we decided to call it a day, and head home our separate ways.

Another quiet night Monday - last two episodes of 24 were watched - good to see Jack getting his man again (as usual!) and then another early night.

Tuesday had time for a second cup of coffee, as we were meeting up at 2300 lift, so no bus required. Today we were working on turning the skis without turning the hips and shoulders mainly, which was interesting, and John had some good drills to make it easier to learn what to do. Did some sliding drills and then tried to do a bit of carving, which i found hard to do. Post lesson did some more drills myself on sliding turns and hopping turns, single footing before going for a bit of a cruise. Headed down the hill @ 13:00 for some lunch and being completely knackered having not slept well the night before called it a day, and went to bed for the arvo.

Got up in time for tea, and then decided to work on my carving in the lounge, so got my skis and boots down from the locker, put a towel on the floor and then put my boots on and clipped in. Practised the movements to carve the skis from side to side for a good 15 minutes, with the stereo turned on full - good way to annoy the neighbours! Still should help me come tomorrow back on the white stuff. Tonight will go the Squirrel for live music night, which promises to be a giggle.
snow report
bertie bassett , great reading your posts. I had lessons with John Thomas a few years ago and not only enjoyed them but learnt lots too . We ( several families ) stayed in the Hotel La Vanoise on and off for a few years , very French and a good place to stay and have great memories of Plan Peisey.

John[/b]
snow conditions
bertie bassett, enjoying your updates.
I'm most impressed with your dedication to improving your technique - I presume you budgeted for the lessons in your original plan, but it must be significantly adding to your expense - but having said that, if/when I do a season I would want to do the same. Don't "break" yourself, stay lucky.
snow report
Been following the updates for a while now as was in Arc 1800 couple years ago and in La Plagne last year.

What was your budget for the season if you dont mind me asking?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy