Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

single skiing on a budget

Poster: A snowHead
James the Last, I used to do that a lot, not Friday afternoon but sometime during the week before the holiday. Most chalet operators used to offer a single share option.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've never booked last minute due to wanting to bag a rare single room and not pay a mahoosive supplement. However, it has been suggested to me that TOs might waive single occupancy charges on last minute bookings. Not sure if I'd like to take the risk, but it's certainly worth bearing in mind...

I definitely wouldn't share unless it was with a female friend...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
welshflyer wrote:
There are two holiday opeartors that stand out as offering single share options (you book as a single with no single supplement) but will probably be sharing with another single sharer.

You are joking.......................?

And as regards flying from Gatwick while travelling from the Midlands (I live 10 miles north of Curly), do you know on a good day it's three or four hours, on a bad one 6 or 7 or more?

It's as quick to get to Newcastle airport, all things being equal (with less hassle).......................Not to mention Manchester, Leeds, Doncaster, Liverpool, Stanstead, Luton, Bristol......................

Gatwick, from experience, is my LAST choice of airport.

John.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
James the Last wrote:
Anybody have any experience of booking completely last minute - i.e. Friday afternoon - and persuading the TO not to charge a single supplement?

Not as yet, but that's the tack I'm going to try. Got bit of leeway in that if I can't get a deal on the 3/1/09 I can just squeeze in the week later (as long as I'm back for 21/1/09 as we go to Fernie). Seen some sub £350 deals already (with supp.), mainly Austria (Half board, 4* hotel even), but I just don't fancy Austria, despite the snow already. Beggars, though....... Cheaper's available, shared chalets and the like.

Wouldn't mind a predominently intermediate resort either as I'm mainly off to get my legs back for later in the month, so more scope than usual. Any decent looking deals, I'll pass on.

John.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree re: regional airports. I made the mistake in 2006 of booking with a TO that only flew from Gatwick. Never again. 5 hours each way car journey including the hideous M25...

I know most people moan about TUI, but they have a huge choice of airports to fly from...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia wrote:
I definitely wouldn't share unless it was with a female friend...

Is it me, or can that be interpreted in more than one way...............................? Lol.

John.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I meant share a room. Doh!

Maybe it's just me but the thought of sharing a personal space with a complete stranger is quite scary...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queen bodecia wrote:
Maybe it's just me but the thought of sharing a personal space with a complete stranger is quite scary...

Exactly.

You could end up with a total nutter. Not just on the personal hygene front, or even sn*ring and f*rting all night, but a total, 100%, grade "A" nutter. The snow seems to attract more than its fair share...................................

You're better off placing a request for a buddy on a site like this, and meeting up for a couple of beers prior. No guarantees but better than nowt.

Or you're just as well go on your own, and be completely selfish about what YOU want, rather than having an on slope discussion with 15 other people, in a howling blizzard, about which mountain eatery is going to rob you today.

John.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I go on my own and do precisely what I want, when I want, same as every other day of my life. I ski by myself anyway, I don't have the stamina for group skiing...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia wrote:

I wouldn't do it on any other kind of holiday, but it seems to work OK when skiing. Done it several times and never had a bad experience.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
I wouldn't do it on any other kind of holiday, but it seems to work OK when skiing. Done it several times and never had a bad experience.

Maybe you were lucky......................or maybe you were the nutter and people were just too polite to say..............

John.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 24-12-08 16:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BCjohnny, yes, there's always that possibility Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just kidding mate................

A thread on "Nutters met on the Snow" might be a good topic......................

John.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The 'nutters' always seem to be British too. Strange that...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
queen bodecia wrote:
The 'nutters' always seem to be British too. Strange that...

Either that or knowing pidgin French, Itailian, German etc may act as an automatic nutter filter...............

How would you know, if you can't understand 'em.

John.
ski holidays
I speak French, German and Italian... Very Happy
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
I go on my own and do precisely what I want, when I want, same as every other day of my life. I ski by myself anyway, I don't have the stamina for group skiing...

As utterly selfish as it sounds I tend to agree, regards the skiing (or boarding in my case). Some of my best days have been starting off on my own, accidently hooking up with similar souls during the day, and having a blast................Or just having a good day doing the stuff I like, or don't but need to improve at.

John.
snow report
Absolutely. Maybe it is selfish, but since I've never managed to persuade any of my mates that they want to go skiing (strange lot!), I reserve the right to be as selfish as I please... Very Happy
ski holidays
BCjohnny wrote:

A thread on "Nutters met on the Snow" might be a good topic......................

John.

There are several on here, just look for thread titles with EOSB in them. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I am also a solo skier. This year I would love to ski the Italian Dolomites. I have a few weeks so will be trying as many resorts as possible. I normally use hostel accommodation but I cannot find anything in the Dolomites.

Does anybody know of any cheap accommodation in this area?
snow report
This is a thread I plan to refer to when I finally get round to looking for last-minute deals so I need to 'bookmark' it. Having contributed this (useless) post Embarassed I should be able to find the thread easily in 'View your posts'
latest report
I've stayed in a few youth hostels & met some lovely people from university lecturers through to 19 year olds from The Midlands taking a year out. I fear that I am in fact the nutter. Embarassed
snow report
FenlandSkier wrote:
BCjohnny wrote:

John.

There are several on here, just look for thread titles with EOSB in them. Toofy Grin

Which I'm a proud member of! snowHead

But to be honest the EoSB is a large group of people and there was more than 2 to an apartment room, I'd rather have my own room when it comes to travelling on my own, I'd consider shared bathroom facilities in a chalet but thats about it.
latest report
There is a small company called Barking Mad - they operate out of Kirchdorf - a low Austrian resort but when conditions are good- its as good as anywhere. I've just had a week with them over Xmas - no single supps. Free guide for the whole week and several mountains to choose from - with a free driver on tap to take you to whichever has the best snow. They are English guys who know the area and the locals and will make sure you have a great time whether you are in a group or travelling solo - Alex the guide is a boarder but also takes skiers- he is ace. You need to sort your own flight and they pick you up from the airport - if you go for 7 days - FOC! They have a web site and advertise thru ebay. It cost me £290 for the xfer, half board accom, guide and being driven to and from the best snow each day - bargain - just costs you a few apres beers and the odd lunch for Alex on top!! My flight over the peak Xmas sat to sat flights only cost £109 via flythomascook.com from Birmingham to Saltzburg.
Worth every penny.
latest report
notnaturalblonde,

Just had a look at their website which is fine except that the available dates are all 2005/6 ski season rolling eyes and I presume the prices quoted are all similarly out-of-date. I have emailed them to see if they have any further info

Edit: Intriguingly, their email address doesn't exist. So, no email and a website 3 years out-of-date. Hmmmmm.
snow report
Red Leon wrote:
notnaturalblonde,

Just had a look at their website which is fine except that the available dates are all 2005/6 ski season rolling eyes and I presume the prices quoted are all similarly out-of-date. I have emailed them to see if they have any further info

Edit: Intriguingly, their email address doesn't exist. So, no email and a website 3 years out-of-date. Hmmmmm.

Just fills you with confidence...............................

John.
ski holidays
On the subject of UCPA I fully vouch for them too. The most progress I ever made on skis was on their courses- once on piste in Espace Killy where I learnt new carving techniques and also an off-piste week in Chamonix- certainly by far the cheapest and safest way to learn to ski off piste with daily instruction, tranceivers, probes, off piste skis, passes etc. included.
snow report
Downhill Sailor wrote:
I am also a solo skier. This year I would love to ski the Italian Dolomites. I have a few weeks so will be trying as many resorts as possible. I normally use hostel accommodation but I cannot find anything in the Dolomites.

Does anybody know of any cheap accommodation in this area?

Passo Tonale is the cheapest place I have come across... 2 years ago I got a week HB hotel single room for £250 including flight and transfer... from Thomson
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JonnyRocket, was that the Hotel Flora Alpina? I was there last year, I payed only £235 (including insurance) for the single room through Thomson, I thought the Hotel was great, worth twice the price! snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy