Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please "Have your say" on Maggie's ski ambitions

Poster: A snowHead
Maggie wants to be "the next Lange Girl" :

http://www.freeskier.com/articles/article.php?article_id=3081

Quote:
I should be the next Lange Girl because I have been ripping it up on the ski hill all my life and skiing will always be my passion. I am outgoing and I show what an awesome, athletic, ski chick I am on and off the mountain.

Quote:
Leave a Comment
You know you want to throw in your two cents. Log in or Sign up to have your say.

For those unaware of the long traditions involved, the first Lange Girl was:

http://www.insyt.biz/Galleries/Dynastar/170.jpg

From memory, the poster dated from about 1973. If you press me to admit it, I recall the poster being on the wall of Alpine Sports, Brompton Road, London around that time.

Are Lange really still involved in this, or is Maggie having a laugh?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 17-12-08 18:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A bit of research reveals that the poster goes back even earlier - 1972 - when the great majority of skiers still had their feet in leather [Lange did the most effective job in converting people to plastic, though the boots could be cripplingly uncomfortable]. 'Lange Girl' is current 36 years later:

http://lange2008.freeskier.com/

Never let it be said that the ski industry isn't at the sharpened edge of progressive thinking!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is this about the dear Mrs. T Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So Herr Goldsmith, how does one pronounce "Lange" Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yoda, As the son of a Berlin-born skier, I recall my late father (a buyer of Lange Pros in the mid-1970s) pronouncing it with the 'e' - i.e. 'Langer'. I imagine in Germany that's still the case, but it's a couple of decades since I've heard an English tongue using that pronunciation. It always seems to be 'Lang'.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Lange girl is a legend. Last year, they recruited a real skier - Julia Mancuso - as the ...er...face (??) of Lange.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you - in case you don't visit those parts of the forum, there is a thread on this very question wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith, on a scale from 1-10, I'd give her "1" Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks, Yoda - hadn't seen that.

Here's a tricky one on ski pronunciation: Back in 1979 I imported the first ten monoskis into the UK, made in California by the same company which innovated the plastic (urethane) skateboard wheels that led to the revolution in popularity of that sport in the Seventies [Their wheels were called Cadillac].

The monoski was called the Bahne Single Ski and it was highly advanced, with a wrapped aluminium honeycomb core, made in proper European ski presses. It was designed by then world champion surfer Mike Doyle who wanted a surfing sensation in the snow on a single deck.

How do you reckon the manufacturers - Bill and Bob Bahne - pronounced their surname?

------
History of the monoski: http://www.monoski.net/history.html
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
They still exist it would seem - http://www.bahneskateboards.com/

I'm guessing it's a Scandinavian name so I'll not even attempt to pronounce it Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's a surprise and thrill to see the name still in business, with their original logo (I've a Bahne Single Ski in the attic)! Thanks.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Yoda, As the son of a Berlin-born skier, I recall my late father (a buyer of Lange Pros in the mid-1970s) pronouncing it with the 'e' - i.e. 'Langer'. I imagine in Germany that's still the case, but it's a couple of decades since I've heard an English tongue using that pronunciation.

In Cork he would be known as a Langer
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Latchigo, spot on, no bother boy!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks, Latchigo. My old man would have been amused by that!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Lange Banging Mama…Skiing is my greatest passion. By August I am itching

Keep away from the seasonaires this time then rolling eyes
snow report
I was impressed with the way she sat down for a fag half way down that black off the back of the Schilthorn...
latest report
Is anyone actually reading what these very attractive women have actually typed.....? I'm trying to, but my eyes keep wandering! wink
latest report
Jerry, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Update, two months on.

Lange have named the four regional winners of the Local Lange Girl contest, with photos: Amanda Jean, Becks, Lizzy Lou, T-Rip:

This report from FirstTracksOnline.com

Warning to Mods: The link above includes 'strategic braces'
latest report
Why's she wearing braces? Puzzled She's got a belt... Toofy Grin
snow report
Jerry, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy