Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving from Calgary to Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm planning on renting a car and doing this in mid March. Some of my family who live out in Calgary think it's a crazy idea as I have minimal experience of driving on icey mountain roads (though I spent a season driving round Meribel in a little van). Is the drive really that bad? Will the all weather tyres on the hire car be able to cope with the trans-Canada through the Rockies and approach to Whistler? My family suggest I'll need chains for the final part.

I'm also considering flying but flights between Calgary and Vancouver seem outrageously expensive. Also I'd have to haul skis and bags on to a coach at the other end which seems like a major and unnecessary hassle to me when I could arrive triumphantly in the heart of Whistler in a car for not much more.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's a long drive - circa 12 hours in good conditions I understand. I've not been over the route, but when we did a roadtrip round the rockies resorts the major roads were clear and fine. I do understand that Rogers Pass is closesd on occasion
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rogers Pass is indeed the only bit of the journey which should give you any grief. Let's face it - they greyhound goes through every day. If Rogers Pass is closed then you just check in to a hotel for a day until it's cleared.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
canadians build up the road up to whislter like it is the worst in the world. it is actually very civilised compared with the hairpins up to lots of alpine resorts
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why go all the way to Whistler, if it's just for the skiing?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all. Thought it wasn't as bad as everyone was making out.

uktrailmonster, going out to Canada to see family. I've skied lots at Sunshine, Lake Louise, Norquay, etc so want to check out some the BC side- Whistler, Fernie, Big White, Silver Star, etc.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tommy4681, Kicking Horse, Revelstoke, Castle, Red.. Fernie, Panorama, Kimberly the latter 3 above. Don't need to head all the way to Whislter for BC action.. loads within 6 hours (less distance from each other).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fernie's 4 hours south of Calgary. Cross through the pass (Corwsnest?) and on to kinberley, then panorama and Kicking horse, across to revelstoke, back via Lake Louise if you fancy it
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
arv, yep that's what I meant. If I started a ski road trip from Calgary, I would consider Whistler too far away to be worth the long drive. There are so many closer BC resorts of interest.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've driven from Whistler to Lillooet and there's one major climb up to Joffre Lakes Provincial Park on that route. I'd imagine it has the potential to be very severely affected by snow in winter.

"Expect winter conditions in Joffre lakes from November until the end of May. Persons travelling into Joffre Lake Provincial Park should be properly equipped and experienced in winter travel. No emergency services are available during the winter season.

Bring your own drinking water as potable water is not available in the park. Water from lakes or streams should be boiled for at least two minutes."

Arno, that's spot on comment... but from the Vancouver side.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shoogly, hadn't quite worked out whether the OP would be approaching Whistler from the south (not a big deal even though my wife's family make it sound that way) or the north (which looks pretty "interesting" in winter conditions)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i was looking at google earth today out of sheer boredom and saw that if you follow the road from calgary to revelstoke you pass a handfull of world famous resorts, banff, lake louise, kicking horse and i don't think you're far from red with your end destination of revelstoke only being a 5 hour drive. From what i have read these have better snow and are quieter. don't bother going to whistler. you'll only have a gondola collapse on you wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We live in Calgary. We travelled from Calgary to Silver Star last easter which was fine. Rogers pass does indeed have avalanche problems and can be shut, but you will be nearing end of avalanche season (anything is possible and last year may not have been typical. I would recommend hiring a car with winter tyres, not all seasons. ALl seasons do not perform in cold temperatures they are too brittle.

I would also recommend not going all the way to the crowds at Whistler. I would do the BC resorts along route from Calgary to Okanagan. I would check out KH, Revelstoke and then SIlver Star, Big White, Sun peaks- all of which should have glorious snow at that time of year.

If you don't want to go so far to a Fernie, Kimberley, Panorama, KH loop, but I wouldn't waste time driving to Whistler.

If you are driving long distances in the mountains be prepared- take a winter emergency pack, blanket, food, torch, shovel etc.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy