Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saboteur smashes window of ski rental shop in Les Deux Alpes

Poster: A snowHead
Ski Republic, the British-owned discount ski rental company, has again experienced a sabotage attack at one of its shops. A vandal has smashed the window of its shop in Les Deux Alpes with petanque balls after it launched a two-for-the-price-of-one offer on ski accessories.

The company claims it is the latest in a line of attacks by French rivals since launching last year with its low-cost model. Slashed tyres on company-branded vehicles, glued locks, and even an attempted arson attack are among the incidences reported by Ski Republic to the French police. ...

This report from The Times.

This attack follows vandalism last winter following the launch of the company, which claims to undercut prices in existing ski resort rental shops.

Anyone done business with Ski Republic?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith, helpful hint for those not too familiar with snowheads: the search facility is quite good. Searching for 'ski' and 'republic' and asking for 'all the terms' answers your question.

Always happy to help Little Angel

PS - just to start you off, here's one. You'll see that BMF Skier is not a fan.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So, the petanque attacker may not be a rival but an aggrieved customer! [possibly a French customer ... unless it was a British customer cunningly using petanque balls to throw off the detectives].

I shall inform Clouseau of these clues.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Using petanque balls? Did the attacker then cycle off in a stripey jersey with a string of onions round his neck and smoking a galouise?

What is this, 'allo 'allo?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why do I think that the person who smashed the window may be one of my friends who is there at the moment? Was a friends birthday on sunday i think.. Mhmm...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't know why I get struck by random thoughts - but shouldn't they be called "skis rental" - after all most of us aren't hiring a ski
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boris wrote:
I don't know why I get struck by random thoughts - but shouldn't they be called "skis rental" - after all most of us aren't hiring a ski

Hence the popularity of their two for the price of one deal.

(poor attempt at humour courtesy of Libtech)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cunners, Laughing Laughing don't be so hard on yourself....I thought it was quite amusing Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith, guys in my chalet last week in Val d'Isere all used Ski Republic. Kit was very, very good they said (I know nothing about skis) and the price and service was great. They even snapped a pole and the guy in the shop said nothing, just passed it off as 'one of those things'. Looks a pro set-up with good branding and good looking shops.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just as well I asked the question, rather than simply relying on an achilles' retrospective.

Any other Ski Republicans, Ski Monarchists, or Publicans care to comment?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith, mais non, mon petit chou. Ce n'était pas ma rétrospective, il était celui de BMF skier. Mais tu le sais. rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles, thanks. I just ran that through FreeTranslation.com (my French is O'level 1969) to be sure of accuracy:
Quote:
But no, my small cabbage. This was not my retrospective one, it was the one of BMF to ski. But you know it.

To be doubly certain, I also ran it through InterTran:
Quote:
but no , my sweetheart. Thanksggiving n'était not my in retrospect , he was which about BMF ski. But thou him know.

I find both of them quite endearing (the latter more Shakespearian, obviously), so thank you kindly.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Goldsmith, hmm! Not what my schoolboy French makes of it - though 'mon petit chou' can indeed be translated as 'my little cabbage'. I'd be intrigued (and probably amused) to know what sH Francophones make of it. Good moaning Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My Little Cabbage - love it!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
achilles, This is what Google translate says it means
Quote:
but no, my little cabbage. It was not my retrospect, it was the BMF skiing. But you know

and Babelfish
Quote:
but not, my small cabbage. This n' was not my retrospective, it was that BMF to ski. But you know it. rolling eyes
snow report
Boredsurfing, Not far out - though the translation ploughed on translating the sH user name BMF skier.

Megamum, learned 'mon petit chou' eons ago - and it does seem to be genuine idiom.

Just love bits of the 'best answer' in that link - should we be thinking of DG as a 'cream puff' or just 'adorable'? I can feel a poll coming on ....but I'll resist. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
It works in English too:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=RNWE,RNWE:2005-11,RNWE:en&q=prince+philip+cabbage
snow report
"Chou" is indeed used as a term of endearment (? please excuse me if this is not the correct expression) in France.
Don't ask me where that stems from... no idea...

It's worth noting that it is usually used for someone you're really close to..You wouldn't used that for friends but rather for children/younger relatives or spouse/partners...

Or when trying to be funny... wink
snow report
not sure why this incident is newsworthy??????? Am I missing something here - a reason to invade France or something??? Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
barry, It's a damn good reason to invade France and ski every mountain just to check out the scene.
snow conditions
barry, There was quite a lot of chat last season about SR. I reckon it's news.
snow report
barry, I'd say it was newsworthy, with it being a ski shop and this being a ski forum.....
snow report
Last Saturday at 8.30am there was a Ski Republic van being driven too fast through the traffic from Aime to Moutier, the driver paid no heed whatsoever of the speed limits or rules of the road.....
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, Hmm. Not the kind of behaviour likely to endear them to locals inclined to be suspicious of anyone from the next valley running a business, let alone the next country.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy