Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

In Val D tomorrow night - whats going on!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Just logged on for a final check on conditions before flying out for 5 days in val d'isere tomorrow....

... and I've only just managed to pick me jaw up off the floor - unbelievable scenes!!! pics of bedrooms with avalanche coming through the windows and walls, tales of over a metre falling over night in resort.

In all seriousness, should I be concerned about being able to drive up there late tomorrow night??? and more importantly does it look like any lifts will be open and will we get any skiing done!!!!???

Some of the reports don't seem to paint a good picture over the next few days.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Val d'Isere just received around 100cm in the past 24 hrs.

Another 50 - 100cm is forecast Tues.

This is one of the biggest individual snowfalls in the resort's history.

You should be able to get into resort, but it may take hours.

Most lifts will probably be closed for a day or two, due to avalanche risks.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dom74, haven't seen the forecasts - but it is conceivable that you will be stuck at Moutiers - it happened to me. I opted to stay at Brides Les Bains, since the alternative at Moutiers by the time I got there was the town hall floor. In such circumstances, your travel insurance may not cover you. Mine didn't. I just accepted that as bad luck.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Should be no problem geting to Val D. The roads from Bourg are open. The snowfall has only been heavy above the Dam.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dom74, the Val people seem to be pretty on the ball with maintainence. They were out all the time last week clearing roads etc, even when just a few inches fell.
If they sort out the avalanche risk, you will have an amazing time. The pistes are in awesome condition, hardly anyone there, and the powder is sublime - enjoy:)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stewart woodward wrote:
Should be no problem geting to Val D. The roads from Bourg are open. The snowfall has only been heavy above the Dam.

Cheers Stewart, I'm praying your right! Only got to get to La Daille so fingers crossed there'll be no sleeping on floors in some school hall or owt like that!

Flippin' eck, we worry about booking our holidays early in the season in case there's no snow and now this!!!!! oh well, I'll never moan about too much snow!!!!

Here's hoping we get there and that Europcar can give us some snow chains!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dom74 wrote:
I'm praying your right! Only got to get to La Daille so fingers crossed there'll be no sleeping on floors in some school hall or owt like that!

Maybe you should pray that you are not in one of the apartments damaged by fire or destroyed by excessive water by the firebrigade wink

Sorry ; just thought if you are praying you might as well make it a good session Confused
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stewart woodward wrote:

Looks as though roads have closed.

Quote:
Avalanches and snow drifts have also blocked the roads to Val d’Isere and Tignes. The highways department is working around the clock at the moment.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles wrote:
stewart woodward wrote:

Looks as though roads have closed.

Quote:
Avalanches and snow drifts have also blocked the roads to Val d’Isere and Tignes. The highways department is working around the clock at the moment.

You can get to Tignes but you will need chains. However expect the roads to close again with the new snow today and tomorrow due to purges but these should only be temporary closures. However better to stop overnight in Chambery than in a school hall in BsM.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Be very surprised, given the forecast, if there's loads open before the weekend. Only 20 runs open at the moment, nothing in Fornet or the Glacier and will take a few days at least before the link to Tignes opens
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Am I inhabiting the same planet as you lot - or has Val D got a separate micro climate?
I'm sittin in my appartement in Bourg at the moment with sun streaming through my window. Roads here are all clear.

The snow that was on my balcony when we arrived sat eve had melted by yesterday. We had v. high winds Sunday - but we havent seen any snow???
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jayne durham, on this occasion Val & Tignes were sitting at the junction between cold, dry air coming down from the north and warm, wet air coming up from the south. When these two air masses met it dumped lot of snow. Val being closer to the main alpine ridge separating (approximately) Italy from France got dumped on. Other areas north of Val got less to none.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That was an incredible snow fall and to think Bourg for none is even more amazing. Over 1m in Val !
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks Rob.... how weird.
Our appartment is so warm today we've switched the heat off and just opened the door!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just had a text from son#2 who is in Val. It read:
POWDERPOWDERPOWDERPOWDER

I think it must be OK out there then.
ski holidays
We are heading for Tignes arriving tomorrow night. Flight gets into Lyon around 6.00 p.m. We are hiring a car and I am beginning to think we should stay somewhere on the way and make early start Thursday morning - dont fancy the drive, snowchains and the dark all in one go. What do others think?
snow report
Just met a guy in Geneva airport who'd driven back from Val today. All fine.
snow report
erica2004, Thanks Erica will assess situation again when we get there tomorrow and bring some hotel phone numbers just in case.
snow report
jayne durham, Sainte Foy had 30cm by the morning, apparently.
snow report
Just come back from a weekend out in Val D, and the conditions were excellent. Friday and saturday was bright blue skys and sunny, but sunday the weather closed in and only the 2 free chairs in val d were open and the finicular at la dye. When we left sunday afternoon/evening you would have needed snow chains untill you got just out of la dye but that was it. However this seems to have changed now. Wishing i was still there for all that fresh powder, oh well back out in Val T next week! Very Happy
latest report
Don't wish to be the party pooper, but it is carnage off piste in Val at the moment - seven dead in the past week, and they are bulk buying body bags for the onslaught as the crowds build up.

Black flags will be flying off piste for a couple of weeks at least.
snow conditions
Quote:

seven dead in the past week

Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
jonm, surprisingly enough, not a figure they update regularly on the Val website..... Shocked
snow report
Guvnor wrote:
... seven dead in the past week ...

But not Snow White. I don't wish to dispute the figure for a moment, but is it proven?

The notion that ski resorts cover up deaths is, I think, partly an urban myth. They tend not to have very active local media (journalists), or if they have journalists they tend to be an adjunct to the tourist office.

But I imagine that the French have a very similar legal system of recording death to the UK - death certificates and, where a death needs explanation beyond that which a doctor might be able to provide, a coroner's inquest.

If there have been seven deaths there will be seven death certificates stating cause of death ... I think.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, my source was reliable and somewhat knowledgeable, and has no reason to make up such figures....I am sure that all legal proceedures are followed according to French law, and I would not suggest that the media and PR people in Val d'Isere would attempt to cover this up. They may not, however, proactively seek ways of bringing the figure to the headlines

Re: Death certificates - naturally such things will be issued. Who fancies rummaging through French public records to find them with me?
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, The French resorts are very good at media management, for instance the avalanche on Saturday in La Plagne in which a British snowboarder was injured has gone unreported except a brief line on Piste Hors and a short thread on the persolaplagne forum.
snow report
7? Shocked Hell's teeth. Groups getting into trouble or individual incidents?
snow report
Cunners, Individuals - plus a double header close to the Face at the weekend....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
7 casualties in a week ? Complete and utter BS.
That would be major news, worthy of national medias. People would be talking on national TV, once more, about outlawing off piste skiing.
Not to mention the front page of Le Dauphiné Libéré.

(Because, guess what, in France too, we have laws for that sort of things...)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy