Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip Nightmare...Maybe

Poster: A snowHead
Got a bad taste developing about an upcoming trip to Val d'Isere.

The holiday's been booked by a friend and his wife.
They've booked the group into a chalet that doesn't meet our male/female requirement.
Basically for it to work either I (single male) will have to share with one of the solo women which I'm sure they haven't been approached about and I'm willing to bet wouldn't agree to
or
the organising couple will have to split up for the duration for the trip and the husband share with me.

The second was agreed as the "if all else fails" option before any money changed hands.

Latest news is a bit disturbing from my point of view, they were talking about another option of moving a bed, potentially to the chalet living room.
As only single bloke on the trip and therefore permanent holder of the short straw Evil or Very Mad I assume they are thinking of lining me up for this one.
As far as I'm concerned this is a non option. Some years ago a similar situation occurred and I ended up on a pull out bed in an apartment living room and swore I would never go there again.

If they try and push this option I would rather not be on the trip. The bad news is I would only get back half what I've paid up for trip if I bail out.

Feeling very down about the whole thing

Any advice?

Rich
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For the sake of the money paid for the trip (I assume), I would personally live with being on a pull out bed for a week Admittedly its not ideal, but depends whether you can afford to lose whatever you've paid in.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rich, ask the husband and wife to split up for the week - it's not such a big deal is it? I can't see how they can insist on you sleeping in the living room - you've paid full price so shoudl get a proper room. You do say though they are "talking about" it, and it's "potentially" to the living room, and you "assume" it's for you

I think you need to ask them pronto what the sleeping arrangements are and be up front with them on what you think is fair.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rich,

Tough one. If they try to put you in the living room surely they can't expect you to pay the same as the rest? If they give you a hefty discount it might be worth it?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rich, i would see who the female is first .... Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What about moving a bed into one of the bedrooms and inviting couples to split up so you have a boys' room and a girls' room. Might put the cat amongst the pigeons, but at least it would show that you don't want to be pushed into the living room without a fight.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
After the snow that fell yesterday I would happily sleep on the kitchen floor if it meant i could be out there. I sympathise though but don't not go because of it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Man up and sleep on the couch.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar,

That sounds like a pretty fair idea
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No question, they split up, why should you have everyone gawping at you in the morning.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It depends on whether the living room or the bedroom are on an avalanche path...

Have a look at this photo of a guy in Val d'Isere who woke up last night when an avalanche got cosy with him: Shocked

(cross-post from TGR)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Libertine, there are 3 and they're all very nice. The objections wouldn't be coming from my direction.

If this was a cheapie trip I wouldn't be too fussed about the whole deal, but it isn't

rob@rar, I like your option. Unfortunately in my experience it takes an atomic device to separate couples up.

For those who haven't been there, staying in the living room is pain the a*se because:
i) you have no choice when you get to go to sleep no matter how tired your are, no matter what assurances you've been given
ii) you have no choice when you wake up, lie ins don't happen and if its a chalet you wake up when the chalet staff turn out (bl**dy early)
iii) you cannot have a quick 40 winks at any time
iv) there is nowhere to store clothes
v) you have to beg the use of a shower (chalet is all en suites)

doesn't sound very 4star to me
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rich wrote:
Unfortunately in my experience it takes an atomic device to separate couples up.

have you asked the organising couple? if they've stuffed it up then they might be willing (we would, in fact we would feel obliged and offer in the first place)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rich wrote:
rob@rar, I like your option. Unfortunately in my experience it takes an atomic device to separate couples up.

Yes, I'm sure that's right, so it should be your 'nuclear' option if a sensible compromise can't be reached. If I'd booked a 4* chalet I wouldn't sleep in the living room without a significant discount on the price.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
How fit is she?
latest report
put the spare bed in the girls room ... push all the beds together and share with all three...... will really test you to see if you are passionate about the snow or stay in bed all day, lol

if thats not an option, the people who have taken on the most stupid task - booking a group ski trip - have to ensure EVERYBODY accepts the arrangement before money changes hands. They are the Mum and Dad of the group, they have to ensure it all goes smoothly... if not...they get the blame !!

THEY should simply swap for the week, its a no brainer really. I mean... most married couples cant wait to get away from each other most of the time... they can have all the sex they want when back at home.... unless you sort the first option that is !!
snow report
rob@rar, I've decided on the nuclear option and made preemptive strike by refusing the living room before its actually been offered and told them I expect to get exactly the same as everyone else and to confirm the room allocation.

Its all back in their court now.
snow conditions
rich, good luck. Hope this mess, not of your making, doesn't spoil your holiday.
latest report
rich,

Good call. Let us know how it all turns out. Option C would be to pull a single female from another chalet on the first night and spend the week with her wink
latest report
rich, I wouldn't sleep in the living room either. If your travelling companions agreed that they'd split up so you two blokes could share "as a last resort" then I really don't see what the fuss is about. Did you get it in writing? wink
ski holidays
rich, Tell them all you snore like a sow on heat, and have to get up every 45 minutes to empty your lobotomy bag - That should up the ante! Very Happy

sounds like it's going to be a great trip - I've been on a few similar.
latest report
Could the 3 girls not share a room by moving a bed/matress into the largest room? That way you get a bedroom to yourself.
snow report
If you do get the lounge, one morning of you walking around bollock naked and having a good scratch will probably trigger a re-think of the rooming arrangements. wink
snow report
Quote:

If you do get the lounge, one morning of you walking around bollock naked and having a good scratch will probably trigger a re-think of the rooming arrangements.

Laughing Laughing Laughing My son had a flatmate who did that once, but apparently put on a pinny before frying his sausages.
snow report
pam w wrote:
rich, I wouldn't sleep in the living room either. If your travelling companions agreed that they'd split up so you two blokes could share "as a last resort" then I really don't see what the fuss is about. Did you get it in writing? wink

yes its on email
latest report
Elizabeth B wrote:
Could the 3 girls not share a room by moving a bed/matress into the largest room? That way you get a bedroom to yourself.

Yes they could all go in together but it would break a fundamental rule that a bloke can't be seen to be gaining from the room shuffle over women and couples rolling eyes
snow conditions
If that doesn't work... Have a lay in and conspicuously toss one off under the covers whilst they are all eating breakie Twisted Evil
snow report
Quote:

Some years ago a similar situation occurred and I ended up on a pull out bed in an apartment living room and swore I would never go there again.

If they try and push this option I would rather not be on the trip.

You're going to one of the best resorts in the world after a day of ludicrous, awesome snowfall. Pull yourself together. Sleep on the couch, on the floor, wherever. If the skiing isn't more important than the accommodation, you're on the wrong website.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

hors Piste
Location: LeedsIf you do get the lounge, one morning of you walking around bollock naked and having a good scratch will probably trigger a re-think of the rooming arrangements.

Brilliant!! Laughing
latest report
I think I would be tempted to either:

1) Say you'll gladly share with the single female; if there are issues, then they'll not be caused by you

2) Agree to share with the hubby of the organising couple (or the wife even Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy )

3) Try to get your bed moved into a males shared room; not ideal for any of you, but definitely preferable to kipping on the couch.

I really don't see why you should have to be inconvenienced by sleeping in the lounge for a holiday you are paying good money for; if it was a cheapie, then maybe you expect a little less from your starting point, but I'm not sure I would slum it while everyone else was living in the lap of luxury. Put the onus back on the orgainisers by saying happy with either 1) or 2).
snow report
rich, this is clearly a 'pull or die' situation- get on with it....
snow conditions
I think the idea of sleeping in the living room is a complete non-starter, and if I was in your situation I'd be pretty offended that I got asked in the first place. Like you say, you have to get up when the chalet staff arrive and get absolutely no privacy throughout the week, plus no access to en-suite facilties (which you'ev paid for).

The easiest option is surely for the organising couple to split up for the week and not put you and the other single female such an awkward situation; people I've travelled with have done this plenty of times in the past with no quibbling, so its not exactly a big deal. Personally I'd be a bit uncomfortable about sharing a room with a single female, particulaly if I've not met her before. OK, there's the possibility of sexy time, but if that falls through you're just two strangers stuck together in an awkward situation, and it being a chalet the rooms are likely to be pretty small as well.

Get the hubby to do the decent thing; and enjoy your holiday.
ski holidays
Must admit, I'd never share a room with a woman who's a complete stranger, let alone a man...

However, whoever organised this trip must have paid some attention to the sleeping arrangements. Have you paid more? In which case you should be entitled to your own room. Sleeping in the living room sounds more like one of those dodgy French 'studio' apartments than a chalet. Remember the chalet hosts often make an early start in the mornings too so that won't be pleasant for you...

I agree with the answers above. You should either get your own room by swapping beds around for the 3 girls to share a room, or share with the hubby of the organising couple. After all, it's them that have put you in this position. I can't imagine any of the girls would want to share with a strange chap...

Hope it all pans out OK and you have a great trip...
snow conditions
Plake wrote:
If the skiing isn't more important than the accommodation, you're on the wrong website.
That completely missing the point, it's not a cheapie option of a bed somewhere to get some skiing in, the guy's paid full wack.
Living room not an option. As said above, the organisers shouldn't even contemplate it.
snow conditions
red 27 wrote:
rich, Tell them all you snore like a sow on heat, and have to get up every 45 minutes to empty your lobotomy bag - That should up the ante! Very Happy

sounds like it's going to be a great trip - I've been on a few similar.

A lobotomy bag ? Is that where you keep your brain after its been removed. ? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
Must admit, I'd never share a room with a woman who's a complete stranger, let alone a man...

I have shared with a complete stranger (both of us male), and it worked out OK - that was my first ever ski trip, booked at 4 days notice Smile

But in this case, they clearly aren't complete strangers. It is obvious from the whole of his posts that everybody at least knows each other somewhat, even if they aren't all necessarily very close friends with each other.

But even with a woman I knew reasonably well, I would be very dubious (for both our sakes) about sharing a room with just the two of us. Just too much room for awkwardness and/or misunderstandings.
latest report
Quote:

A lobotomy bag ? Is that where you keep your brain after its been removed.

geepee, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Alex
As a girl (last time I looked), I would hate the idea of someone getting a raw deal just because he's the bloke - although as the usual 'singleton' I'm the one who seems to always gt the raw deal so can empathise totally. I'm sure you're grown up enough to keep it in your pants long enough to share with one of the girlies for a week - and she'd be more than a bitch if she made you sleep on the sofa. You've got to stand up for your rights as an equal partner in the trip (as well as to party) ........ or get new friends?

What ever the outcome I hope you have a great tome in Val - when are you going? If you are there over New Year, you are going to get amazing conditions and I could offer you a room swap for my UCPA bunk sharing with 4 guys - that sofa is beginning to sound attractive all of a sudden isn't it!

Sare
xx
ski holidays
Is there another couple who can be asked to split? Because to be fair, although it sounds like they haven't made the best job of it if the sleeping arrangements are as iffy as you say, the organisers have put in the leg work AND taken the not insubstantial financial risk of organising the trip (i.e. if someone fails to pay up, it's usually the organiser that the TO will come after for a balance) so in that respect I don't think it's entirely fair for the organisers to have to split up either. I mean, they have all the hassle and risk and then they get the short straw of sleeping arrangements too? Why on earth would they bother taking on such a thankless task if that's the case?
snow report
Scarpa, just spat my cornflakes out all over my desk Laughing Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy