Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another Private Vs Group Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Yeah Im sure this is done alot. Really just a question that I need peoples opinions on:

My girlfriend and I are beginners but fast learners, both onto parallel turns on easy runs (me after 1 days skiing)

What would we benefit more from (price being roughly equal)?

2 days of private lessons (2 x 2 hours)

OR

5 days of group lessons (5 x 2 hours)

I can see the pros and cons of both, but not sure overall what would be best (we are on holiday in a group so will have other people to ski with).

Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks

Skola
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skola, Private.....Have done group and it was painful, big bird at the back kept falling over and everyone had to wait Evil or Very Mad . Went private this year and am sold on them..1:1 and no lift queues. If you are fast leaners go private.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cant see any pros of group lessons in your situation, private lessons all the way (both together in same lesson providing your of similar ability)

I have learned more in one hour of private than 10 hours of group
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Monkfish wrote:
Cant see any pros of group lessons in your situation

Camaraderie of group lessons? Always been a major enjoyment factor for me when I'm in a group. Private lessons are a bit more serious/intense.

More time to get feedback from an instructor? Probably the best reason for being in groups as far as I'm concerned. There are limits to how much progress you can make in two hours, regardless of whether you are getting 1:1 instruction. A longer period of time in front of an instructor can provide more opportunity to discuss misconceptions, get a better mental image of what you are doing rather than what you imagine you are doing, etc.

Another benefit for the rest of a group of mixed ability skiers is that two hours a day in classes gives the more competent members of the party time to blast around at their speed without having to wait for the novice to catch up.

I don't think there is a "right" answer to this question. It depends on many factors.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
but they have already mentioned they have a group to ski with so scratch that reason!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Monkfish wrote:
but they have already mentioned they have a group to ski with so scratch that reason!

Did we hear whether the rest of the group were happy to have a couple of novices tagging along all day Wink I did say that that reason would be for the rest of the group rather than the beginners in lessons!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fair point, but my experience of group lessons has often been stood waiting on the piste whilst the novice skier in the group is nursed down the slope. Group lessons can be an intensely frustrating experience, even a good teacher in a good group has felt more like being guided than taught.

From my own experience I would suggest the path to learning to ski is quickest with private lessons, maybe others experience differs so fair enough
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Monkfish, I think one of the factors in helping decide is the quality of the instructor, for both private and group lessons. From my exprience I'd say that the quickest path to improving technique is with a brilliant instructor, regardless of whether you have private lessons or group lessons. Some of the most inspirational teaching (and therefore the most learning) I had last season was in a group of 10.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Definately agree on that!!! Which is why I'm unsuccessfully trying to find an inspirational teacher in another thread on here Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Monkfish wrote:
Definately agree on that!!! Which is why I'm unsuccessfully trying to find an inspirational teacher in another thread on here Sad

Where and what discipline? I'll often choose the resort based on quality of instructor, rather than choosing the resort then trying to find a great instructor.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ski and Ski Amade ...feel like I'm thread hijacking here though
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, Don't forget that you can choose your private instructor but not your group one. You go on special courses - most don't! Skola, If you learn more quickly than average go private. ps: if you've done a week you're not beginners. Beginners have never skied prior to their holiday. Of course you don't say where you're going or what the choices of ski school are - there may be more than one. If classes are limited to about 6 they're sometimes good value, but if it's 12 - forget it!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski wrote:
rob@rar, Don't forget that you can choose your private instructor but not your group one. You go on special courses - most don't!

Yup, that's an excellent point. But most people don't pick a private instructor by name, they just book a 'private'. Instructors like you are very honourable exceptions to the norm Smile I've had my fair share of duff private lessons, unfortunately.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wow folks thanks for all the replies and i think every one was on topic Shock

im going to courchevel in jan, staying in la tania so looking at ESF they seem to have a good reputation and reasonable prices.

the group is um 14 people (chalet) varing from first timers to 4 trips a seasoners so we may or may not find other people in the group to ski with

i like the idea of the private lessons to be honest...but still undecided

one selling point of private lessons is having more of the ski time totally unrestricted to do what we want and when rather than almost every day being down at the school for 9pm but then again that may be fun.... Puzzled
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skola, "almost every day being down at the school for 9pm "

Shock Shocked Dont forget your headtorch!

I've heard that the French aren't the fastest out of bed in the morning - but that's ridiculous Toofy Grin

Laughing
ski holidays
rob@rar, I have rarely booked a private without having a name... For me that is a huge reason to book a private... I've seen some of the ski school ski - and as ski schools do not normally give enough information re group lessons I collect it myself first to try to screen the duds out... Last time I left it entirely to someone else was the EpicSki Academy - they gave me the only instructor I'd requested not to have... rolling eyes Affirmed my decision that self selection of instructors may be tricky but less so than letting someone else do it!

to the OP

I count it up this way... 6 people in the group means I will get 10 mins of instruction directed at ME per hour (if no-one in the group stuffs around falls down etc)... so the group lesson must be at least 1/6th the price per hour to be an improvement!
latest report
little tiger wrote:
rob@rar, I have rarely booked a private without having a name

Same for me, but not everyone will have a personal recommendation for a named instructor. As I tend to ski in the same four or five resorts it's possible to have a small network of instructors you know and to stick with them. But if you are visiting a resort for the first time it's not so easy to know which instructor to sign up with. If you just rock up to the ski school office and book a private I think you stand just as much chance of getting a dud as you do when booking into class.
snow report
Had group ski lessons with NewGen in Courcheval, me and Mrs Monkfish in separate groups, both good experiences
(though would still go private!)
snow conditions
little tiger wrote:
I count it up this way... 6 people in the group means I will get 10 mins of instruction directed at ME per hour (if no-one in the group stuffs around falls down etc)... so the group lesson must be at least 1/6th the price per hour to be an improvement!

I don't think it is that simple an equation. Much of the time the instructor will be talking to the group as a whole, so you are not only getting 1/6th of his time but a general level of input. I think there is also some value to be had from seeing how other people in your group are skiing: have they made the change the instructor would like; what questions do they ask; etc.

For most people the choice is between, say, 2 hours of private lesson or 15 hours of classes. It is rare that people will be deciding between 15 hours of privates or 15 hours of group lessons because of the relative cost

IMO for group lessons to be reasonably effective they should be no more than 8 people, and the standard of skiing of the clients should be reasonably close. I've found the only way to get classes like that is to pay a premium over 'typical' ski school such as the ESF.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
little tiger wrote:
rob@rar, I have rarely booked a private without having a name

Same for me, but not everyone will have a personal recommendation for a named instructor. As I tend to ski in the same four or five resorts it's possible to have a small network of instructors you know and to stick with them. But if you are visiting a resort for the first time it's not so easy to know which instructor to sign up with. If you just rock up to the ski school office and book a private I think you stand just as much chance of getting a dud as you do when booking into class.

I did pretty well on walk in to a few resorts by just putting quite specific questions and requirements to the ski school desk... but I'd far prefer to not have to do that.... I guess I have greater than normal experience at booking private lessons though - so I tend to do a bit better than average at getting close to what I want...

I find Europe a little better than North America in this regard - competing ski schools means they know I'll just go ask the next lot if I'm not getting sensible answers to questions - and I have other options.... then again NA resorts can be worried I'll change resort to get what I want...
snow report
I've skied with quite a few ski school group lessons (they used to cost me under $10 australian IIRC) ... I'd say the average person taking a group lesson of more than 3 people from a ski school is not getting a heap of teaching for their money - better than nothing but far below a decent private lesson... Ski instructor training clinics are not a normal lesson as all have the same goal (to pass the exam)... so while they have different needs they do have similar objectives....

In a group lesson you get everything from "my husband/boyfriend sent me" to "I wnat to skip lift lines" to "I'm looking to pick up" ... I don't see an awful lot of serious learners in large group lessons for some reason... and I've skied with masters race groups too -even many of them are not really serious - they just want the kudos of having a race clinic group..

I do like small group lessons - but few places run small groups. Easiski and Whistler(supergroups IIRC) are 2 of the places I know do run 3 people groups
latest report
little tiger, I'd agree with you for all skiing tuition after the first few weeks. So I think see how groups go - providing they are no more than 6 people - for the OP.

But... as a beginner it is good to have some other fellow numpties around - and to feel part of a joint learning experience sharing those initial triumphs and falls.

I have once been in a group clinic with 4 people in in Canada - but most US/Canadian lessons I have had have been 2 or 3 - which I find fine, although I can see for race-training you might want to be 1:1.
snow conditions
stoatsbrother wrote:
although I can see for race-training you might want to be 1:1.

If you're runing gates you can afford a slightly larger group as everyone gets split up: some people on the course, some people waiting to start their run, some people on the lift back up, some peopl getting feedback, some people going from the course to the lift. I've often been in a gates class of 10 and not been with any member of the group for an hour or more.
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, But the OP is not a beginner, they've already done 1 week and learned quicker than average, so, given that they're thinking of the ESF with their huge groups it would seem to be a no contest sort of thing.
snow report
easiski wrote:
stoatsbrother, But the OP is not a beginner, they've already done 1 week and learned quicker than average, so, given that they're thinking of the ESF with their huge groups it would seem to be a no contest sort of thing.

Bingo! Toofy Grin
snow report
thanks for everyones replies

i was hoping this thread would decide for me but...ofcourse not.

we arent beginners but havent done a week....i have little over 1 day under my belt i think my girl has 4 or 5 inc. lessons but this was like 15 years ago (we did 2 hours at snozone and it seemed to come back to her quite quickly)

after some thinking and discussion

i think we will go with private

happy to ski with the other half and maybe other people we are going with if we are at a similar level

less committed time therefore more flexibility (lie in or first lift)

more dedicated tuition hopefully progress faster

so i think thats my decision

thanks again

Skola
snow report
Enjoy Smile
ski holidays
Skola, sorry, I misunderstood your experience, it doesn't change my advice though. Have fun. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skola wrote:
i think we will go with private

Good choice wink snowHead
ski holidays
I am also going to La Tania in January and will have a private lesson as I'm more advanced intermediate now and need to get some confidence on blacks and bumps. I am going to book into Magic Academie (previously Magic in Motion) as an alternative to ESF. I have no idea what they will be like but am hoping they have more native English speakers. I seem to get on better when things can be described in greater detail because I improved drastically after private lessons in Canada and also from Warren Smith Academy.

Skola - Just out of interest, which week are you going and in what Chalet?
ski holidays
Choose whichever YOU think will be the most fun!

You will obviously make faster progress with private lessons, but remember you're also on holiday. Some people prefer groups for a bit of social interaction.
Private lessons become more valuable and cost effective as you gain more experience.
latest report
Skola, Good decision. Might seem more expensive in the short term, but if you get a good 'un, [that should be your next thread wink ] you will get so much more.

I've been the 'fat bird at the back', the snivelling wreck, and the 'OMG get moving you nerd' in a group, and they are ALL frustrating positions to be in Evil or Very Mad . If it just you and the other half, you get to add skiing to the list of things to argue and gloat over.
NehNeh Razz
Enjoy!
snow report
From La Tania, Supreme and New Gen are still worth the hike up to 1850 but Ski Excel run by ex-Supreme instructor Patsi Duncan operates out of La Tania and, I would think, be well worth a call
latest report
easiski, Thanks for the correction, but that isn't actually what the OP said is it? He said they were beginners... And I said first few weeks...

But the point about the ESF is well taken...
ski holidays
curry-queen wrote:

Skola - Just out of interest, which week are you going and in what Chalet?

My wild prediction....Im staying with you.

No joke.

I see your from Bristol....it cant be a coincidence....Beriozka on the 3rd.
ski holidays
eng_ch, Patsi Duncan is very good - she's aunt to a certain A Baxter ...
snow conditions
easiski, yes, I know (both statements) Wink. She sorted out my head in one 2-hour session one year a while back when I'd had a rather bad few days.
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
eng_ch, Patsi Duncan is very good - she's aunt to a certain A Baxter ...

Why not go the whole hog, schlep up to 1850 and ski with his Mum? Wink
ski holidays
rob@rar, Laughing Laughing True, but most know about Sue Dixon and not about Patsy - I thought it might be vaguely interesting to snowheads to know about.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy