Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

off piste in Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

A new Canadian member here! This year, we are planning a trip to Switzerland and I was looking for advice for easy to access off piste.

A little background... 3 snowboarders with couple seasons of experience in back country in BC. We did cat skiing and also couple hikes, we have all the avalanche gear, ie beacon, shovel, poles... however, as we do not know the terrain, we will probably hire a guide.

The catch is, only swiss alps, off piste from a resort, I dont think i will be able to fit my snowshoes.

We will be parting from Geneva and we have a car.

So i appreciate if you can come up with some resorts. Oh, I should mention, we are chasing the pow, not the bar scene, although we would like to meet some locals over a pint.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the lengthy post.

cheers!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Out of curiosity why only Switzerland. Not that Switzerland doesn't have plenty of great skiing (on and off-piste), but you're right on the French border (and close to the Italian border). You are probably closer to many French options then Swiss ones. The other question that might help people make recommendations, is how long are you going to be about for? Just a week, or are you planning on longer?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
well, one of the members has a non Canadian passport, so we can only go to Switzerland and not EU members! just bureaucracy...
Dates are, second half of January for 7 days!
thanks!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
curlyboarder, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Right now there is great snow in the centre of swiss, have you booked anywhere. There is also Zermatt and Verbier which have loads right on your doorstep.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
curlyboarder, not got any swiss resort help but welcome to SHs snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the welcomes!

snowcrazy - we haven't booked anything yet, I am first waiting for suggestions. We were looking at Verbier, saas fee and maybe porte du soleil.

Cheers!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Engelberg and/or Andermatt should suit for off piste with a guide, not sure of distance from Geneva though......
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
curlyboarder wrote:
Thanks for the welcomes!

snowcrazy - we haven't booked anything yet, I am first waiting for suggestions. We were looking at Verbier, saas fee and maybe porte du soleil.

Cheers!

Most of the Portes du Soleil is in France, although you can ski it from Switzerland. If you have a problem with a member of your group entering France on their passport, there is the possibilty of checks at the border when skiing into France.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
geepee, checks at the border are few and far between. Never carried a passport there and have done over 80 weeks in PDS, never been checked. Just make sure not to carry the passport. The French won't insist on accompanying you back to your hotel to check.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name, Yes, I agree it's unlikely as I've never been checked when skiing from Switzerland to Italy in the past, which I've done a few times. I'm in Champery over the New Year and will be skiing into France many times. snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If I had to stay in Switzerland I'd go for Verbier, incredible off piste potential. It would definitely be worth spending a couple of days exploring the Porte Du Soleil too, especially if you want some fairly lift accessible off piste. We ride it every day in the winter and I've never been asked for a passport. You do occasionally get stopped when driving though so just make sure you end up on the right side of the border when the lifts close! wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the replies. I think we are going with Verbier. I hope they are getting what we are getting here. it is dumping right now, expected 30 cm overnight!

cheers!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Are you sure that your friend cannot cross into France?
As of a few days ago, Switzerland started accepting Schengen visas
http://www.bfm.admin.ch/bfm/en/home/themen/einreise.html
This is reciprocal, so I'd expect it to go the other way too.
I'd call some offices and check (but be warned, you may well talk to officials who are unfamiliar with new rules, maybe phrase the question like "how does the rule-change on Dec 12th affect my friend" and see if they know what you're talking about.

(Background: I'm from EU, with several non-EU friends/colleagues, and lived in Switzerland for a few years. Definitely, in the past your friend couldn't travel to third countries on their Swiss visa (royal PITA for residents), but it looks to me like that has changed recently.)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy