Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Not Eating And Drinking In France?

Poster: A snowHead
norris wrote:
Lizzard, have you ever tried shopping in somewhere like Tignes - its outrageous.

PS nothing wrong with cooking kits - better than alot of awful french food you get in resort.

In France wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
James the Last wrote:
I don't know what it costs to drive a kilo of flour 1,000 miles, but I'd guess it's not nothing.

Especially if you have an incident involving a truck carrying dairy produce..... Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
norris wrote:
Lizzard, have you ever tried shopping in somewhere like Tignes - its outrageous.

PS nothing wrong with cooking kits - better than alot of awful french food you get in resort.

It isn't just Brits that think like this. When I was clearing out of my appartment in Tignes on Saturday the communal bins were full of Eastern European ready meal packets.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lizzard and Alexandra. What I am talking about here is not "getting pished" every night but simply having my usual 2 pints with an evening meal each evening. And my missus doesn't drink but will be expected to pay up to a fiver for a non alcoholic diabolo (that's syrup and lemonade to you and me).

I fully accept that any holiday may be deemed to be one of life's luxuries but am simply trying to make the point that the cost of a simple meal this year is way beyond what anyone could describe as reasonable. For instance, the (then) new restaurant at the foot of Mt. Vallon in Meribel was charging €10 for 2 cups of tea 2 years ago.... Now don't get me wrong - but, unless you are the type for whom money does actually grow on trees, surely there cannot be many "men in the street" who would be prepared to pay that.

Luxury hol or not (and by the way we are staying in Albertville Etap hotel and Moutiers Ibis - impressive, eh? I know how to treat a girl!) we just cannot afford to spend £210 on 7 days' lunches and snacks on the mountain (ie a.m and p.m cuppa x2, soup and a cuppa at lunchtime) THEN over £300 on simple evening meals with 1 nightly beverage each.

Still looking forward to the trip and our picnics on the hoof though!

We may also look forward to treating ourselves to visiting mountain restaurants to use the toilets at a bargain 50p.....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
John Crawford

Quote:

....the current state of stirling just takes the biscuit.

I've never been - but I've actually heard that it's quite a pleasant place. Regardless, I can't quite see how an innucuous comment about a town in Scotland has led to such a heated debate about the state of the pound..... Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

we just cannot afford to spend £210 on 7 days' lunches and snacks on the mountain (ie a.m and p.m cuppa x2, soup and a cuppa at lunchtime) THEN over £300 on simple evening meals with 1 nightly beverage each.

Couldn't agree more. I've never been able to afford it, which is why we have always either self catered or gone to a catered chalet, where you can take your own duty frees, buy beer and mixers at a tad over supermarket prices, from the chalet staff, and have all the plonk you can drink with your evening meal.

AND because there's a big chalet tea, with unlimited cups of tea and coffee, cakes and baguettes and jam, available from 3pm, doing without lunch on the mountain is not a big problem.

If I'd ever spent money on lots of lunches, cuppas and hotel/bar meals and drinks I wouldn't have been able to buy an apartment in the Alps, in which I can spend the whole season skiing for about the same price as one or two weeks fancy holidays. wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In Tignes can you still get some spag' bol and a beer for 10 euros on the mountain at lunchtime?? if not I can see me packing sarnies taken from the morning breakfasts to snack on during gondola rides Blush . I think I will also pack the flask. Embarassed
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Renry, sure you can... ignore this lot, it's any excuse not to put their hands in their pockets.

Prices haven't moved in resort, it's just that 10€ is now £11 rather than £9 or whatever - who gives a damn? Anyone who counts the pennies on holiday should stay at home and be a sad rich loser! Live as if every day is your last - on a diet of spag-bol & beer it just might be wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
red 27 wrote:
Renry, sure you can...

On the mountain? I think you might struggle, especially if it's a large beer you want not a small one.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Buy a panini or doner the night before and take it up the mountain for lunch.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Le Francais is off the agenda for me this year barring a lottery win rolling eyes
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
It is normally perfecltly ok to take meat products with you when travelling between EU countries for personal consumption according to Defra. Different if there was still a foot and mouth outbreak of course.

Not quite so - on the ferry last week, poultry products were banned owing to "bird flu" rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eng_ch, I was told on our last trip that poultry products were only banned if they had originated from Eastern europe (think there was that outbreak in Hungary that Bernard Mathhews had something to do with) but not from France or other EU countries.Perhaps something has changed recently.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
coochiemudlo wrote:
Try paying for everything in AU$. You poms have had it good for to long wink

Here, Here as an Englishman living in the euro zone ................... you've had it far too good for far too long !
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gonna buy Spooks season 1 off Amazon, 1 part every night and ski, ski, ski every day. Chill out, think about all that great snow, be grateful you can afford to go and enjoy it the best you can. A year from now we could really be up sh*t creak, sat wishing we where in the position we are in now!!*

*Sorry if you have lost your job lately, dont mean to rub it in Confused
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Renry, you're in a minority there, I'm afraid.

Are you sure?

I know there are some resorts which have a big reputation as "party" places, where most Brits going there will have the aim of getting blotto as often as possible.

But there are plenty of other places where that just isn't true. I have got significantly drunk a total of twice on all my ski holidays put together, and I haven't noticed many of the other people in the hotels I have stayed at getting much more so. But admittedly, hardly any of my trips have been to places really noted for the nightlife.
snow report
You've clearly never been to Ischgl where its illegal to stay sober. Twisted Evil
snow report
Corky wrote:
You've clearly never been to Ischgl where its illegal to stay sober. Twisted Evil

A bloody good reason to ski in France then Wink
snow report
John Crawford, I refer you to my original advice regarding not choosing the most expensive resorts you can find! And you may find it useful to know that bars and restaurants in France are legally obliged to let you use their toilets without charge whether you are their customer or not. This will save you the odd 50c (though obviously it would be polite either to buy something or stump up a tiny amount of small change in return for using the facilities which they provide and keep clean for you).
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont wrote:
eng_ch, I was told on our last trip that poultry products were only banned if they had originated from Eastern europe (think there was that outbreak in Hungary that Bernard Mathhews had something to do with) but not from France or other EU countries.Perhaps something has changed recently.

Couldn't say - all I know is that as of 8 days ago there was a huge FO sign saying no poultry could be taken into France. Plus ça change...
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
On the mountain? I think you might struggle, especially if it's a large beer you want not a small one.

Hmm yes, perhaps you're right... Lunch will still have to be a serious meal, I guess I might cut down on the various other coffee/cake/jaegermeister pit-stops.
latest report
I'm going skiing, I'm going to Tignes, it's my holiday. I'll eat out every night and have a decent lunch every day. I'll probably have quite a few drinks each evening. I'm not a millionaire, I do have to bust a gut to be able to afford a ski holiday every year but it's my time and my fun. Just get on with it rolling eyes

Mind you I'll be drinking at Alpaka Lodge and claiming my snowHead s discount on my beer Laughing
snow report
i have found austrian prices for beer and food more than reasonable.. these are establishments in prime locations, the srevice is excellnt and despite the chaos the pints are full and delivered to your table.. if we had a comparable mountain range in the u.k. the service would suck and the prices would be loads higher, even at parity to the euro
latest report
france tho , well you may have apoint
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
Bear in mind that any food that goes in the hold on a flight will freeze. I think it's about -30º in an aircraft hold. I took a big block of Red Leicester cheese to Sri Lanka and it took 2 days to defrost at tropical temperatures!!

Shocked
The hold is supposed to be heated as well! albeit not to the confortable levels of the cabin..
If it was not heated, think of all those family pets usually carried in the hold that would be found as ice sculptures on arrival.. Toofy Grin
snow report
philippeR wrote:
This frenchman says...

Shocked Shocked

Don't you dare try and fool anyone....I am the only frog in this village!
latest report
The whole outcry about high prices do make me laugh, I have to say...

While its true that prices in popular resorts are exhorbitant, it's the price "locals" have been paying for years....
Despite them having on average lower wages/buying power than the brits...

As so many now realise, there is a "real" reason for self-catering accomodation and bringing your own food. It's not being tight, it's trying to keep the debt level to a minimum...

And it does bring a new reality to the concept of skiing holidays not being for low wages earners..
snow report
Don't see what all the fuss is, we go on a catered week, breakfast, cakes & coffee and main meals provided, (including wine with the meal and pre-dinner drinks).

Interesting nobody has mentioned how much of an impact the euro has on the important stuff, like passes!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When Brits move to France, is it compulsory to have their "aloof" gland trippled in size? wink
snow report
Mosha Marc, Laughing
ski holidays
I think winning the X Factor went to Alexandra's, head
snow report
Kruisler wrote:
While its true that prices in popular resorts are exhorbitant, it's the price "locals" have been paying for years....

surely not, seasonaires etc get reduced price drinks in most bars in most ski resorts I have been to, would've thought similar 'arrangements' were in place for locals ? ?
ski holidays
masmith,

"local" was a bad choice of word. I meant French, Italian, probably Austrian and maybe Swiss people in general. Not necessarily the ones leaving in resorts or close to the mountains.

Those people have been paying those high prices in euros for passes/pints/food without the benefit of a good exchange rate...And for most, except maybe the swiss (and austrian?), also without the benefit of the higher wages paid in the UK (even after adjusting for the higher cost of life here)....
So double negative for those people, which in turns makes (soon we'll have to say "made"...) skiing a lot more expensive for them that it has been for us..thus making it even more of a middle class activity than it is here..
A shock to a lot of people here it seems...

But don't worry, being french I am as just explained used to those prices so won't mind getting that first round in on 15/01/09 in Meribel! wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

But don't worry, being french I am as just explained used to those prices so won't mind getting that first round in on 15/01/09 in Meribel!

Game on !
snow report
when i was in meribel last year after the price of our first beer we went down to the supermarket and bought a crate to take back to the flat. We didn't get drunk anyway as there is nothing worse than a hangover at altitude wrecking your first runs of the day, if you manage to get up at a respectable time that is.
snow conditions
Loads of businesses in resort are going to face some stark choices. Either they cut costs, or they're going to lose a lot of British business. I hope that they were taking fat profit margins before, because if they weren't and still charge the same prices, I can see a lot of them going bust. Yes there are other nationalities, but as pointed out elsewhere they're more likely to drive, and go self catering, and so don't put as much money into the local economy as us Brits.
snow conditions
Kramer wrote:
... as pointed out elsewhere they're more likely to drive, and go self catering, and so don't put as much money into the local economy as us Brits.

Last season I was speaking to the guy who runs the pizzeria in our development in Les Arcs who said that without the British visitors he would not keep going. In his experience they were much more likely to pay to eat out (or order pizza delivery in his particular case) and they skied in large numbers in January when many domestic visitors stayed away from the mountains.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy