Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

welove2ski.com is in Whistler, with The Telegraph, The Guardian, and not much snow

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having highlighted Sean Newsom's ski gadgets video this a.m. I nipped over to his website - www.welove2ski.com . There are some useful 'snow blogs' with photos, but the forum seems in need of a life-support system: a total of 5 posts on 9 December, and one post on 11 December.

He makes an interesting point (lamenting the fact that he's in Whistler with little snow):
Quote:
Oh well, there has to be a downside to being a ski writer, and this is it. I have to commit to visiting resorts months in advance, and can't do that last-minute, follow-the-snow thing I'm always advising others to try.

I'm not quite clear of the reason for this comment. Clearly, ski writers have traditionally responded to invitations from resorts for major openings of lifts etc (in this case the Whistler Peak 2 Peak gondola), but maybe readers primarily want exciting first-hand reports from the best snowfields available.

Maybe there are lessons for the future of ski journalism here.
--------------
Sean Newsom's full blog from Whistler [scroll down]:
http://www.welove2ski.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=b01&featureid=761

Peter Hardy (welove2ski editor) reports from Whistler for The Telegraph:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/3722270/Whistler-The-worlds-best-ski-resort-British-Columbia.html

Tom Robbins reports from Whistler for The Guardian:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2008/dec/12/peak-to-peak-gondola-whistler
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
LOL, they should have gone to Scotland! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or they could have gone to the Passo Tonale, which may have Europe's deepest cover at the moment (reputedly 4m on the upper runs, which is quite extraordinary for mid-December). Andermatt's claiming 3m of cover, too. Some areas of eastern Switzerland currently have over 300% x their average snow cover at this stage of the winter.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, Quote:
Oh well, there has to be a downside to being a ski writer, and this is it. I have to commit to visiting resorts months in advance, and can't do that last-minute, follow-the-snow thing I'm always advising others to try.

I'm not quite clear of the reason for this comment. Clearly, ski writers have traditionally responded to invitations from resorts for major openings of lifts etc (in this case the Whistler Peak 2 Peak gondola), but maybe readers primarily want exciting first-hand reports from the best snowfields available.

That IS odd as there are two journalists who have accepted invitations to visit some of our property/resorts but have yet to advise their date. The resorts are in Europe and have excellent snow at the moment. After the Europe-bashing of the past seasons, by several widely-read journalists, insisting that the snow was hopeless, rubbish and not to bother, it would be good to see them redressing that balance Confused
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Or they could have gone to the Passo Tonale, which may have Europe's deepest cover at the moment (reputedly 4m on the upper runs, which is quite extraordinary for mid-December). Andermatt's claiming 3m of cover, too. Some areas of eastern Switzerland currently have over 300% x their average snow cover at this stage of the winter.

They could have gone to many places in Europe yes but the biggest surprise for me at the moment is the amount and quality of what's available in the north of our wee island! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sure, three out of five Scottish ski areas are open, but cover is not wide. The Lecht seems to be doing best.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^ cover is better and wider than usual at this time of year - I suggest you check out the photos on Winterhighland and Highland Instinct...

The original implicit point being (and it seems I have to spell it out) that it's a wee bitty ironic that they've travelled all that way when they could have probably just hopped in their cars, driven north and got better snow...

Ever get that sinking feeling when people just aren't on the same wavelength and you have to laboriously explain a relatively flippant and certainly throw away remark...

Try this one, make a sentence out of the following words: am Friday it's and the will to live loosing I

I'm off for a drink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No shortage of UK gondola correspondents in Whistler. Here are two more:

Matt Carroll for The Independent
Quote:
The Peak 2 Peak was first envisaged 11 years ago by Intrawest's senior vice-president, Hugo Smythe, on a skiing trip to the Swiss resort of Zermatt. Gazing up at a tram connecting the village to the mighty Matterhorn mountain, he hit upon the idea of linking Canada's two most famous mountains at their respective summits

A tram? Matt Carroll, one suspects, is not a Brit!

Jonathan Bramley for BBC Sport
Quote:
... if you want to heighten the sensation of floating in the air, two of the gondolas even have glass bottoms.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
its friday and im loosing the will to live - woop woop! i feel so clever Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gdizzle wrote:
its friday and im loosing the will to live - woop woop! i feel so clever Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy

It's Saturday and I've regained the will to live - woop woop!

Aren't you clever gdizzle Razz
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy