Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

itchy legs

Poster: A snowHead
i know this sounds daft but i get really itchy legs when i ski.
i'm ok first thing but as soon as i have got hot (either on the first few runs, or overheated while dressed up but not got outside / in the hot hire shop) and then cool down, my legs get really really itchy and drive me nuts. particualrly bad if having to sit on a ski bus etc too.

i have "helly hanson warm" thermal leggings, and a really cheap pair, that to be honest are probably better than the expensive pair.
i don't know if it is my skin sensitve to the merino wool, or if they are not wicking enough?

wondering about shelling out on a different set of thermals to see if it will help but don't want to waste my money.
any thoughts as to what would be best to look at?

cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
blueberry, male or female? Does it make any difference if your legs are shaved?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hi

i'm female.
i don't think it's related to shaving as it seems to be my upper and lower legs equally affected.

i tend to both overheat and then get cold very quickly, and it seems to be the temperature changes that really set it off.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
blueberry, if you get hot and cold like you do, then wool is the way forward for temerpature regulation, maybe the helly stuff is not fine grade wool, try smartwool for merino leggings
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If your legs are itchy I read somewhere if you rub vaseline on your legs it helps !
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Eurax cream.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
itch = pain.

there is a reason for the pain. eurax cream is a good call but the reason for the pain/itch needs to be established before you can get a reasonable solution. If it is temperature related (feasible) then you can sort this with acceptable base layers if not you can explore further with gp. Emollients may assist. Double base gel is very user friendly (many other products are available).

I have nothing else to add apart from, if you're going to 'rub' anything into your skin, please try and go in the direction of hair growth (whether shaved/waxed or not) just to avoid complications.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do you really need thermal leggings? I've been skiing for more than 20 years with insulated salopettes or trousers (including in Canada at -27C) and have never felt the need for additional leg cover Puzzled
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yoda, I need them when it's really cold. I'd certainly need them in -27C. I've noticed some people who stay with us seem to wear them even when it's not really cold. It's habit, maybe. But some people do run much colder than others.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, habit like Mums always making you wear a vest? - no wonder kids can't wait to leave home Laughing

I notice Blueberry says that she gets "hot", which for me would indicate too much insulation? I get "hot" when going uphill but hardly ever when skiing down, unless some major exertion like lots of jump turns is required. Being at a nice comfortable temperature with no nasty tight restricting things on my legs is what suits me, but as you say à chacun son goût wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The very thought of "thermal" leggings ie something in man-made fibre, makes me itch. Shocked I find, under an insulated suit - and pretty much irrespective of the weather, one does after all have to legislate for falling over! - silk leggings and knee length socks (over the leggings, obviously) constitute the ideal leg arrangement.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yoda, if I don't wear anything between my skin and my trousers, the insides of my trousers stick to my legs, impairing movement. Like Hurtle, I find silk long-johns perfect as they don't keep heating you when it's warm
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Silk cami knickers - now you're talking girls wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yoda, nonsense, all the catalogues advertise silk underwear for chaps too!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle, I think Yoda was implying a comma after "talking"!
ski holidays
blueberry,

I had that problem too when I first skied so I left the thermals in the room and made do with some long jogging pants under my ski trousers.

On my second trip I invested in some good Quicksilver ski pants with Gortex and have never had the problem again.

In fact I ski most of the time with the inner thigh Zip vents open and only close them on long chair lift rides. Cool
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Hurtle, I think Yoda was implying a comma after "talking"!
Oh. You're probably right. Laughing These people that don't know how to punctuate... rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
Hmm... is a comma really necessary in that context? Smile
snow report
sloop, Yes. Admittedly I read it rather quickly, but I thought he meant, 'now you are talking girly talk'. But I was probably just being more than usually dim.
snow report
Hurtle, reading posts rather quickly is probably quite sensible really, otherwise one could spend one's entire life on this forum snowHead
ski holidays
sloop, Laughing
ski holidays
Laughing
ski holidays
Sounds very similar to "winter itch" that many folks seem to get. Usually occurs in winter(or more in winter). Worst at night or after a bath/shower(when warm)...

Try getting a mixture of 50% White Soft Paraffin and 50% Sorbolene Cream(Cetomacrogol cream)... You can pay pharmacy to make it or heat the paraffin until warm(body temmp) in microwave (or in a basin in sink of hot water) - mix with slightly warmed cream with Bamix(or other stab blender) ...

Apply cream daily or twice daily.

Silk is good!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy