Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What does the "flex" index on ski boots mean?

Poster: A snowHead
I can see that as the boots go up the grades in terms of expertise of the user, the flex index increases, does this mean that better skiers, lean forwards more, and novices stand more upright, or is that boots for novices have less flex so that the skier can lean forwards on them without them moving?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sharon1953, the higher the flex the stiffer the boot is, and more force is required to bend (flex) the boot forwards.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks, so what does the actual flex number mean? why is 100 stiffer than 70?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sharon1953, That's a question best answered by a bootfitter I'm afraid. A competitive skier would probably be using boots with flex rating of 150+, a boot with a flex rating of 70-90 would probably be decsribed as suitable for novice/intermediates, my main boots are 110 which are plenty stiff enough for me.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
70, Plastic that resembles a jelly straight from the fridge

80, Plastic that resembles a moist chocolate pudding

90 Plastic that resembles a Coat Hanger

100 Plastic that resembels a iron girder

120 Plastic that resembles having your feet cemented by the mafia before being dropped of a bridge

140 Shocked You are a downhill racer the boot does not flex you have no circulation to your feet and they are crammed into a binding that will not release you better hope you dont fall!!!

It is basically how easy the boot is to flex the higher the rating the less the boot will flex and the more responsive it is. I am sure CEM or Small zookeeper will be along soon to explain the science and logic behind this.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ordhan, thanks, that make sense now, so I think I will avoid boots over 80, the thought of moist chocolate puddings on my feet is wonderful, I won't know if to stop and eat my boots or drink some hot chocolate and cream Very Happy

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 11-12-08 17:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ordhan, There are plenty of people here in Tignes skiing bumps and powder on 150 and 160 flex boots.

My new 150 flex Nordicas will flex slightly more than my old ones.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do all manufacturers use the same DIN/ISO grading system with precisely defined test procedures?

It would be a first.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The actual numbers given as a flex rating on ski boots refer to the average number of Shore units required to flex the boot through 11 or 15 degrees (this varies between some manufacturers). The average is taken from something like 10,000 individual flexes using a metal ram at an ambient room temperature of ~22 degrees centrigrade.

The flex has nothing to do with the forward lean angle of the boot, this is seperate and can be altered by a bootfitter (much like the flex).

Stiffer boots are generally for more advanced/aggressive skiers or tall/heavy people who require more support. Stiffer boots are also made of denser and more responsive plastics but do not always relate to a tighter fit. A good bootfitter will be able to select a very stiff, responsive boot that is also high volume.

Right, lets wait for SZK to come and correct me Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sharon1953, Alot of factors effect what flex you should be on weight and muscle strength being a friend of mine bought his first boots at flex 110 because he was a big Rugby player with legs the size or a redwood! Boot fitter got it spot on to be honest with him

rjs, Oh I know I have falcons cranked up to 140 because I am a big fat git.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NAKEDZOOKEEPER, apparently he taught you everything you know, but not everything he knows. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Soft boots are for punters, stiff boots are for "core" skiers.

discuss wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob wrote:
Soft boots are for punters, stiff boots are for "core" skiers.

discuss wink

Is there any need for excessively stiff boots in deep snow? I don't think so.

With modern skis/technique you don't need boots which are very stiff to load up the pressure on the ski tips, although lateral stiffness is probably more important than it used to.

Hardcore skiers choose the right kit for the job, not for the lift queue Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alright soft boots are for finesse skiers, stiff boots for lard asses.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jbob, Thank f*ck for that - knowing everything he knows would be a very dark place Toofy Grin
latest report
Ordhan, Big fat gits in Falcons? Never the twain shall meet in my world.
snow report
sharon1953, I have Salomon boots (falcon fat-basstad I think) and the flex can be adjusted easily just by taking out the two rivits in the back of the boot - flex goes down from 110 to 90 I think. I ski with them out all the time to be honest, but it's strangely comforting to know that should I have a Hero Moment I could put 'em back in and experience what Ordhan might describe as having my feet covered covered in plaster of paris by some hoodies.

Obviously, as you will already know, colour is far more important than any techy stats - Blue is preferred I think.
snow report
rjs, 160 flex?

rob@rar, disagree. Personal taste comes into it. I like a rigid boot. I don't do WC.
snow report
red 27, actually, colour is really important, differing pigments affect flex in different ways dependant on the design of the boot....Red seems to work just fine in the salomon race boot but Head found it unstable in their design so moved to the grey and spunk white colour that they now use Little Angel
snow report
under a new name, Lange's WC boot for this year is 160 flex in ZC ZC flex, the true World Cup boots from Atomic are 150, 160, 170 should they be required
snow conditions
CEM, Thought you were taking the p1ss until I confirmed with the other pie eater who says you are actually speaking the truth-red boots go faster! What about green ones? Or powder poofy blue ones?
snow report
Kitty, poofy blue seems to go pretty quick based on the herminator Toofy Grin
snow report
CEM, Been pi$$ing around with a few pairs of ZEZE all afternoon, chucked an atom bomb in one to see if it had any effect. None registered, no one died.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Laughing Laughing Laughing BNF are looking for a storage facilities for harardous waste...we could sell them the idea Toofy Grin

did you use oxy acetalyne rather than a heat gun to stretch them
snow report
CEM, Please bear in mind that I have to keep up with Spydie and I can't afford go faster boots this season!
snow conditions
Kitty, simple solution...... klister Toofy Grin
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
rob@rar, disagree. Personal taste comes into it. I like a rigid boot. I don't do WC.

I agree that personal taste is the most important thing, but I did day that skiing deep snow didn't need stiff boots. On the other hand, skiing gates on an icy piste probably does need stiffer than average boots to get the precision required.
latest report
CEM wrote:
red 27, actually, colour is really important, differing pigments affect flex in different ways dependant on the design of the boot....Red seems to work just fine in the salomon race boot but Head found it unstable in their design so moved to the grey and spunk white colour that they now use Little Angel

I heard a rumour that red didn't work too well for Garmont in their G1 too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM, Not sure why you thought I wasn't being serious... Puzzled My boots were red but as you have observed, they were a little wobbly so a couple of coats of blue radiator paint and now they're solid as a rock Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy