Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thoughts / Recommendations on Solden?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Good morning (from Washington DC) my fellow Snow Heads,

We have a group of intermediate-to-advanced skiers (from DC and San Francisco) that are looking to book a ski trip in February (14-21st). We've skiied Wengen numerous times, Zermatt a couple of years ago and Whistler last year. Many years ago I went to Solden with my family, and if my memory serves me right, the skiing was quite nice and the apre ski was even better (♪♪ Anton, Anton ♪♪). With that said, what's the general consensus on Solden? Enough challenging skiing for intermediate-to-advanced skiers? We love Wengen and Zermatt, so if it's similar to those ski resorts, then we're golden.

Should Solden receive the blessing of my fellow Snow Heads, do any of you have recommendations on lodging (4 star hotels) near the slopes / lifts? Or on the flip side, any lodging that we should stay away from?

Any additional input on Solden is greatly apreciated, and feel free to recommend other Switzerland / Austria ski resorts too!

Thank you!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Similar previuos thread ... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=44632&highlight=

Also consider Ischgl.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Solden is good, great in fact, but Lech is nicer, with better hotels and a more alpine villagey feel, although does not have such nuts nightlife, Ischgl is not quite as classy as Lech but is a nicer village than Solden, and has the best apres in Austria, more exspensive than Solden though.

Hope that helps!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hokie1, Not been but is rated as one of Austria's best, especially for apres. Would Obergurgl up the road not be a better base? Edelweiss & Gurgl Hotel is Obergurgl would be a great base http://www.edelweiss-gurgl.com/en-index.shtml Almost went there myself but opted for Oberlech again for this year. Know a few people who have stayed at the E&G and raved about it.
Would agree with other posters in that you should also consider Ischgl and Lech/Oberlech (highly recommend Hotel Montana in Oberlech www.montanaoberlech.com). If you stay Lech you'll have plenty of skiing to keep you interested with its links to St Anton (mental apres wink )
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah I think if you have skied in Zermatt the likes of Lech would be more likely to be up your street and Ischgl is an excellent option as well. There is some good skiing in Solden, it's not picture postcard like Zermatt or Wengen but to be fair the nightlife does rock.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hokie1,

In terms of the skiing, you really couldn't go wrong with any of the suggestions - ie Soelden, Obergurgl, Lech, Ischgl - though Obergurgl may be slightly smaller than the other ski areas (Having said that you can also ski Soelden - reachable by bus - easily enough from Obergurgl).

As has been posted though, if your idea of apres ski is a quiet beer or hot choc in & scenic village it would have to be Lech or Obergurgl.

However, if your bag is gallons of beer, dancing on the tables in your ski boots until the small hours, deafening Europop and scantily clad dancing girls then it's Ischgl or Soelden!!

You could also consider the Ziller Valley in Austria - 200+km of piste (at unconnected resorts but all easily reached by free public transport), glacier skiing up to 3300m and a great apres ski scene in the resort of Mayrhofen.

Or then there's Kitzbuhel - fantastic skiing in a massive area and a beautiful old town with lively apres ski.

C'mon Hokie, choices, choices...What's it to be Toofy Grin ??
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well my fellow snowheads, after reading through your replies and doing some additional reading on the boards, we've decided to book a week in Iscghl at the end of February. From the terrain to the apres ski, it sounds like there's fun to be had in Iscghl! Our flights and hotels are booked so now we wait!!

Now any chance you all can turn on the snow across the pond?!

Thank you all for your input!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy