Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Schruns or St Gallenkirch/Gaschurn

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone could compare these resorts as I am trying to decide between them. Although we are not big drinkers, we would like a resort with atmosphere and it seems that Schruns appears bigger and prettier. Our main priority however would concern the quality of the skiing. My wife would consider herself a good beginner/low level intermediate and as such likes blues. Last year we went to Lech based on the selection of blues but were frustrated to discover that some of their blues were quite challenging. I read a post pointing out that some of the blues in Schruns were undergraded so I was wondering if anyone had any views on the subject. I would also welcome a comparison between Lech and both areas.
Thanks in advance
BarryOS
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Schruns is much bigger village/town but has surprisingly little in it. Afew restaurants, mostly Italian, one apres bar at the main lift that closes at 7-8ish, two other bars in town (one actually in the train station). Probably though much more choice of accomodation in Schruns. Be careful though, the tourist office lump Schruns and Tschagguns together for accomodation purposes, their not really that close at all and Tschaguns has even fewer facilities.
Its quite easy to visit all the other resorts in the valley by bus, (included in lift pass), so Schruns would be most central for this.
I've only ever skiied Lech on daytrips from St Anton so I don't know how Lech would compare regarding hotels/nightlife, (though I'd guess its way better). I never noticed any significant difference in difficulty between the blues in each resort, all blues seem pretty much alike to me.
Just noticed you're in Galway so that makes a difference. Lech is glitzy and expensive, Shruns (Montafon) is much more low key. But on its plus side, it's way cheaper (b&b last year for €24), flights (Ryanair, Dub-Friedrichshafen) available last week for €30 return inc. tax, tranfers easy, train at airport to resort approx €20 each way plus cheaper liftpasses, ski hire etc.
So, if money no object, Lech. If you want an cheap easy DIY holiday, Schruns.
One other thing, Ryanair flight arrive 9AMish so you can be in resort and skiing by lunchtime. On the return it leaves 10AMish. Theres a train that leaves Schruns about 6.30am that will get you to the airport with an hour to spare.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
loobylou,
Thanks for all the info. Glad to hear train transfer is convenient. The German/Austrian train websites make it look very complicated. Do you know if there is a direct train. Not too bothered about lack of 'glam'. Lech was a treat. Supposed to be last holiday without children so pushed the boat out a bit. Although we might sneak away Sat to Thurs in January for a last, last childless trip. Ryanair flight times are cool and dirt cheap. Flights are €52 return inc taxes and cc & bag charges(Michael Sneaky O Leary). Four and a half days skiing squeezed into longish weekend. Everyone wins and the kids dont kill the grannys.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
No direct train, Schruns is a spur off the main line going towards St. Anton. You take a little local train up this last leg, it's actually included in your liftpass if you had one. The German/Austrian train websites make it appear more difficult then it actually is. Theres a train station at the airport, normal route is train to Friedrichshafen main station, train to Bregenz, train to Bludenz, train to Schruns. It sounds complicated but works really efficiently with minimal times between changes.
Alternatively, easier and cheaper is to take the bus directly outside the terminal direct to Bregenz train station and buy a train ticket from there. You will most likely end up on the same onward trainto Bludenz but you may get lucky and get an earlier one. At the very least it will be cheaper and you will have an hour or so to have a look around, it's a nice place right on the shore of Lake Constance.
On the return I'd get the trains, especially if the roads are icy. I've also heard of people getting delayed on the roads due to fog, something to do with the proximity of the lake!! Will be going out that way myself the end of Jan., I think it's the 29th. Let me know if we overlap, maybe have a pint?
Ian.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I went to Schruns last year. It's a really pretty town, easily accessible, surrounded by beautiful mountains. St Gallenkirch/Gaschurn on the other hand are undistinguished sprawls of not particularly attractive chalets! No effort is made to conceal power lines either. The whole valley has a bit of a 'functional' feel. So Schruns definately wins on the looks/atmosphere front. Gargellen is also rather pretty (apart from one monstrosity) same for Silbertal.

As a lazy intermediate of several years, I was lured to Montafon by the predominance of blue runs. However, I felt that a lot of the runs should have been graded red, as they were really quite tricky and steep. There's an area of lovely rolling easy runs above Schruns itself, though to get back to the valley you have to navigate a rather tricky 'blue' that leads to the ski tunnel. Perhaps you could download on the chairlift.

Gargellen had some good easy blues higher up, but again the lovely long blues down to the resort were steep and tricky, and inappropriately graded. The same problem for many of the runs in St Gallenkirch/Gaschurn.

I was quite angry about the misleading grading of runs. My only guess is that Montafon wants to brand itself as a family friendly area. If I'm honest, I wouldn't recommend this area for your wife at all. I'm pleased my nervous partner decided not to come!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lrx28,
Thanks for the post. Was annoyed at the misgrading in Lech last Februry and would be really p***ed off if we found ourselves in another resort which my wife couldn't enjoy. I think its time for me to post a query looking for a pretty, convenient resort offering good beginner skiing within reasonable proximity of Friedrichchafen. I'm not looking for much am I.

Quote:

Will be going out that way myself the end of Jan., I think it's the 29th. Let me know if we overlap, maybe have a pint?
Ian.

Ian, Notwithstanding the above post I may still find myself in Schruns at the end of January if I dont find a more suitable alternative. If I am i'll post or private message you before hand for a beer.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BarryOS,

Have you considered Brand, which is in the next valley over?

http://www.bergfex.com/brandnertal/

It looks like there's plenty of easy ski-ing there, though you might want to ask people on here if that's true!

Liam
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy