Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice required for ski touring

Poster: A snowHead
When in the Dolomites in February I will be doing some Ski Touring. I have heard a lot about touring and although hard work I am sure I am up to standard for the requirements. I am very excited at the thought of broadening my ski experiences

Can anyone suggest any special gear I may need or any fitness regimes I should adopt.

This is the tour I will be undertaking http://www.altabadia.org/en-US/santa-croce-ski-tour.html The third paragraph spounds particularly apetizing. snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 11-12-08 12:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman, I'd go for an expandable waistline on your strides.....and maybe some fatter skis for post lunch
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I am very exited at the thought of broadening my ski experiences

That means you have just died at the prospect. "excited" means that you can see a reason to carry on.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, Thank you. If you need any advice on putting a Bosendorfer through an uostairs window then let me know Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Funnily enough I've just been wondering how to go ski touring with a Bosendorfer
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Awesome news FTS. I must admit a small giggle crept out. Go for it dude, you'll never look back.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is not just any ski tour, this is a Frosty the Snowman ski tour Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You'll need a full-face beard.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, avalanche-proof collapsible knife and fork, toilet detecting transceiver, buddy to administer the Heimlich manoeuvre...

I am amazed that you are considering going off-menu without a professional guide... Shocked wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

I will be doing some Ski Touring

Is this:

a. Called 'ski touring' because you are on skis and touring about?
b. 'Ski touring' in the sense of the French ski randonee? ie plodding uphill through the wilderness under your own steam (not a lift in sight) using touring skis, bindings and skins & spending nights in mountain refuges.

Looking at the website link it looks more like a. than b. - so not what most would regard as 'ski touring.' Therefore no special kit needed.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, I was quite shocked! Until I looked at your tour Toofy Grin I think something will definitely be 'broadened' by the end Very Happy I'm not sure if there are any suitable places to get you into training for this up north though Confused

Yoda, Laughing Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict, I think it was a joke....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No question about it, you will need a guide .....
http://www.amazon.com/Italian-Food-Guide-Ultimate-Regional/dp/8836525385?tag=amz07b-21

Ski touring has it's risks so don't forget about safety, thirst aid and of course a helmet. http://www.drinkstuff.com/products/product.asp?ID=3

There are a whole range of bindings on the market but as this your first introduction to ski touring it's probably best you stay away from the heavy duty bindings and go for something like this

http://www.bedtimeheaven.co.uk/product_detail-prodid~7962.htm

Hope this helps
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, Laughing Probably the most useful answer ever posted on this site. Not sure of pink though Cool
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stoatsbrother wrote:
avalanche-proof collapsible knife and fork,

As weight saving will be paramount, may I suggest this instead?
snow report
don't forget to keep your energy levels up by taking on lots of carbs, protein and liquids wink
latest report
DB, Vodafone Content Control won't let me access your last link. Guess I'll have to use my imagination.... Toofy Grin
snow report
Plenty of bike riding if you can't get on snow before hand. Best way I have found to get fit for ski touring. wink
latest report
This isn't ski touring (which is all off piste, skinning up slopes far from everywhere, where there are no lifts for miles). The whole point of touring is being away in the wild mountains, far from all manicured slopes - but this holiday seems to be all on piste. The only thing that is different from usual is that you are sleeping in different places which are up the mountains rather in villages. So you might need a rucksack for carrying some spare clothes for the night, but nothing else.
ski holidays
snowball, If we ever meet, then you will suddenly realise the irony of my post wink
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, Nice itinerary. Sounds like the sort of 'ski-tour' I could handle! Laughing
ski holidays
snowball:

Somewhat bizarrely, it would appear that only you & I thought that Frosty the Snowman's "ironic" post was a real enquiry Puzzled . I've just re-read it & there's absolutely nowt in there to give the game away.

Anyway, I now intend to regard every query posted on here as ironic & not respond to a single one. Toys well and truly out of pram.....
latest report
Royston Vasey.
snow report
mountainaddict, snowball,
Just in case you neglected to read the link, here it is again http://www.altabadia.org/en-US/santa-croce-ski-tour.html Very Happy

This touring involves hopping between restaurants on easy blue pistes.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, over curry last night I related the tale of the gas fitter who was reported to have "pulled both muscles" when lifting a cooker from van. This always makes me dissolve but my two female dining companions just sat there looking puzzled. No accounting for senses of humour Toofy Grin Very Happy
latest report
mountainaddict, I imagine lots of people on here must have met Frosty, probably at snowHead bashes. Embarassed

I should have registered who posted the thread and that he is on here a lot, so would read the itinerary carefully, knowing what touring is. Teach me to read things more carefully (I thought the poster hadn't read carefully).

This holiday title is in line with the "No off-piste skiing" signs around parts of the Sella Ronda.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy