Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgl in 9 days ...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
... and I can't wait!

But I wondered if anyone out there had any 'top tips' for Obergurgl?

I've heard that some early evening drinks in the Neiderhutt [spelling] is a must. Also the weekly ski-show put on by the instructors.

What about mountain restaurants ... are there any that are particularly worth tracking down for lunch?

I'm fairly new when it comes to off-piste - so if anyone's got some tips on some nice/quiet terrain to practice on would be great too.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Niederhutte (with an umlaut thingy on the 'u') is excellent for lunch and early evening apres. The lunch menu is more varied than a lot of Austrian places, with things like jacket potatoes available for example, which you don't normally get in mountain restaurants over there, so it's a good place for when you're sick of meat and sausages etc.

I also love David's Hut which is lower down than the Niederhutte, but not back towards town, it's easy to find once you're there. They do lovely lunches, it is often quieter than Niederhutte and does lovely Grillhendl (roast chicken).

Both places I think do proper apres evenings where you get picked up in town by the snowcat and taken up there for your evening meal. We've never done it but I bet it's good.

The skiing around both huts is nice on bad weather days (well also good weather!), and is really the only tree skiing available, so we spent a lot of time there. We did some off-piste/between the trees skiing there which was nice for my first ventures into ungroomed snow, so perhaps give that a try. Apart from that, Hochgurgl in particular is great for practising deep snow skiing, as you can go on and off and between the pistes quite easily, whilst still being able to see where you are going end up (i.e. not on the edge of a cliff or anything!).

And yes the weekly ski show is pretty good. Without wishing to state the very obvious (but we were quite stupid I seem to remember), it is very very very cold being up the mountain at night, without actually moving around all that much, so wear more than you would for skiing. I know that is probably very patronising, but we made this mistake!

Have a great time!
D
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The run down from Hochgurgl to Untergurgl is fun and a ok one for bad weather days
Take your skis to the ski show and you can ski back down after runs is flood lit
Probly take about the same time as waiting for the lift to get down
You can get a days skiing at Solden added to the lift pass when you buy it if you want a day out
Takes about 35 minutes or so on the bus if the roads clear
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you take the lift that's adjacent to David's Hut there's often a nice bit of off-piste through the trees between the pistes on the way back down towards the hut. It was great last year after a fall of snow and isn't too difficult. For lunch, you could try the new place at the top of Hohe Mut. I've never eaten there but it looks really nice, great view! Other lunch spots I like are the Ideal Hotel over at Hochgurgl, it's usually very quiet and the terrace gets the sun at lunchtime. There's also the Top Hotel at Hochgurgl for nice internal surroundings. Obergurgl often gets very busy at lunchtime, especially at the Eidelwiess hotel.

Just realised, Delaskis has already mentioned the skiing between the trees, doh Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the advice so far guys!

Apart from the lack of trees in Hochgurgl, is there much difference between the skiing in the two areas?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
abj,
Quote:

I've heard that some early evening drinks in the Neiderhutt [spelling] is a must.

makes it sound a bit like pink gins all round, which it definitely isn't. Mon, Weds and Fri are the legendary apres parties with Rudi and his Nederlumpen mate rocking out timeless alpine classics - rollin' like a river, that damn Alice song, country roads take me home whilst the entire place dances on the tables.

Actually, it's more fun than it sounds and is a must do. Oh and of course you ski down after it all! We've also done the evening snow cat thing up there on a Thursday which was also good fun.

Head as far across as you can in Hochgurgl and take the never ending drag up to the Kirchenkarr Hutte, which is really quaint all animal furs and log fires.

The new place at the top of the Hohe Mutte is fab and the private dining rooms are amazing.

You'll have a great time, christmas is marvellous there. This will be my 6th.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

any 'top tips' for Obergurgl?

Get the bus to Soelden for a day's skiing there - the area is fantastic & scenery is great too. You can ski/board a tour/marked route of panoramic vantage points - one of which is a slightly hairy viewing platform jutting into the abyss. It's called the Big 3 Rallye - and features 10,000m of skiing (which I think is 5000m up and 5000m down) over 50km. Website says allow 4 hours.

Here's the website link with the route details:
http://www.soelden.com/main/EN/SD/WI/Skigebiet/Skigebietsinfo/BIG3/BIG3_Rallye/index.html

Here's a pic of the amazing viewing platform Shocked :
http://www.skijanje.co.yu/Ski_Centri/evropa/austrija/au_big3_solden_300.jpg

Can't remember if we paid extra to ski at Soelden - or whether there's some kind of 1 day reciprocal arrangement with Obergurgl?? I'm sure another snowHead will confirm. Regardless, Soelden is well worth a visit.

Also - and depending on the bus times back to Obergurgl - Soelden's apres ski is legendary - completely bouncing in the main street Very Happy .

You'll have great time!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mountainaddict, yes, you get a pass in Obergurgl that allows you a day at Soelden, I've never been, may try it in March.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abj wrote:
Thanks for the advice so far guys!

Apart from the lack of trees in Hochgurgl, is there much difference between the skiing in the two areas?

From memory, Hochgurgl has big main bowl which is fun - pretty easy to hop on & off piste. Not so much off piste - just not on piste. Erm hope that's clear!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree with Steve, do not miss the Niederhutte Apres Ski party, you have to get in pretty early to get a good table, but half the fun is squeezing on a table with the wild Germans, who take schapps drinking to another level, and dont forget to Join in the Ski Boot Waltz/conga where all the dancers get a free willialms (schnaps) at the end. The best you will every ski is on the way down frome the Hutt in the dark!

We have been the past 12 Christmas's so it must have something!

Nightlife is a little limited but if you want to party on the Josl Keller is not too bad. On the other end scale if you want to do the God thing the midnight mass on Christmas eve is very nice. (though the only time I went I fell asleep due to a bit too much wine with dinner!)

Regards the Skiing, just be aware it can get VERY cold at xmas time -15c is not uncommon so make sure you take warm gear. We tend to take the top express over to hochgurgle first thing in the morning as you get the sun over there first then back over the obergurgl in the afternoon.

I am sure you will have a great time, where are you stopping?

Chris
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Try black 8 for some easy off piste. There are some nice flattish parts which dont get bashed and you can practice technique. There's usually people around so. In fact, come to think of it there is quite a bit off-piste in between the pistes... lots of places to just break off onto and mess around, knowing that you're not wandering too far and into danger.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
globalbagtag.com, we're staying the Crystal Hotel ... which (I think) is at one end of the village next one of the gondolas/lifts (?)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy