Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why can't people accept their "right" way of carrying ski is now wrong?

Poster: A snowHead
snowball, I made it up out of my own head
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w wrote:
paulcl, no need to steal it, I'll give it to you. snowHead

Most generous. Let me know if you ever need it back.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i forgot that you gapers who carry your skis incorrectly are all on short skis. it all becomes clear on 194s Twisted Evil Twisted Evil wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Long ones...short ones....fat ones....thin ones.....right way...wrong way??!!!!! Shocked

Never really thought about it until this forum - but Mrs MA has since reassured me that my technique is fine and that size is not important.......Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, try putting your shoulder between heel and toe pieces (tips up), works fine for me. Skis are balanced, perfectly comfortable, no great length stuck out behind to swing around, no levering them around to get them on your shoulder taking peoples heads off in the process. Job done.

But then again I do have big feet.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rich, great way of getting oil of your bindings onto your jacket though.

Also much easier to carry 2 pairs of skis with the correct technique.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stoatsbrother, I wear a rucksack, strap protects the jacket, a lot of years of skiing and not gone through a jacket or rucksack strap yet...next
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
must take a photo of the gouge left in my helmet from a friendly skier... got one of those looks 'how dare you ! you could have damaged my skis!'
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
twintips?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rich wrote:
rob@rar, try putting your shoulder between heel and toe pieces (tips up), works fine for me. Skis are balanced, perfectly comfortable, no great length stuck out behind to swing around, no levering them around to get them on your shoulder taking peoples heads off in the process. Job done.

Fine if you want to carry your skis on your shoulder horizontally, bit like that TV programme The Plank. When I walk around resorts the people who are most likely to hit other people with their skis are carrying them horizontally in some fashion or other.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cartying skis is a bit like skiing, it comes with practice, as does the tidy swing to get them on your shoulder. I am not very strong, have dodgy shoulders and have often had heavy skis and I have found the that tips down and skis up high is the easiest and safest way of carrying skis. Those stupid strap things have got to be one of the worst. Carrying skis with your poles is ok when not having to negotiate stairs and busy areas.

Talking of poles . . . they are just as lethal being held horizontal on stairways by someone with a marching arm swing Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Incidentally (I can't believe I am adding to this thread yet again!) several people have argued that (with short modern skis) the difference between ski length in-front and behind the bindings is very little. My skis are 178cm and the difference between those 2 measurements is about 35cm. Makes a big difference when you are talking about the centre of ballance.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I may be new here but I thought the idea was to keep the skis on you rfeet and use them for the designated purpose rather than promenading about the village bar to bar carrying them? NehNeh
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Johny B, yes, yes, whenever you can keep your skis on, do. I'm regularly to be seen continuing along a tiny pile of snow at the side of the road - sometimes on one ski - rather than take my skis off. Often right up to the door of the bar. I get strange looks but I'm happy Ha ha ha Confused
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I guess the definitive answer to the thread title - is to ask the OP why she can't accept now she is wrong... wink
snow report
Shouldn't this be in BZK ??
snow report
stoatsbrother wrote:
I guess the definitive answer to the thread title - is to ask the OP why she can't accept now she is wrong... wink

Absolutely NOT!

In fact, it's been established my way is the RIGHT way, for ME! Very Happy

What's "right" for you, you'll get to decide. I couldn't care less. As many others had also found their own "right" ways. Still, that's none of my concern.
the
But I do get a good laugh of those who can't accept I'm carrying my skis WRONG way, all the way across a big parking or the entire village, without having to rest. Shocked

The best part of this thread, is it got David Murdoch off the hook! Cool
snow conditions
My valet carries my skis snowHead
snow report
rich wrote:

This technique has always worked for me and if held at a slight angle (rather than completely horizontal) the skis do not become weapons when you turn.
ski holidays
A quote from one of our chalet guests... "oh darling (to Emma - "mountainbug") you don't carry your skis do you (real shock and horror!!) thats what your husband should do.... We just got marrried this autumn - scary rolling eyes
latest report
It probably would never occur to anyone toting their skis on their shoulder that they could wallop someone else with them in the same way that people brandish their opened brollys on the high streets oblivious to the effect of the damage one of the prongs could do to some one else whose eyes just happen to be on the same level.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 14-12-08 19:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
in garbure we trust wrote:
A quote from one of our chalet guests... "oh darling (to Emma - "mountainbug") you don't carry your skis do you (real shock and horror!!) thats what your husband should do.... We just got marrried this autumn - scary rolling eyes

Read this as food for thought Laughing

JACK AND JILL

Jack was about to marry Jill and his father took him to one side 'When
I married your mother, the first thing I did when we got home was
take off my trousers,' he said. 'I gave them to your mother and told
her to put them on . When she did, they were enormous on her and she
said to me that she couldn't possibly wear them, as they were too
large. 'I told her, 'of course they're too big. I wear the trousers in
this family and I always will. 'Ever since that day, we have never had
a single problem.'
Jack took his father's advice and as soon as he got
Jill alone after the wedding, he did the same thing; took off his
trousers, gave them to Jill and told her to put them on. Jill said
that the trousers were too big and she couldn't possibly wear them.
'Exactly,' replied Jack.'I wear the trousers in this relationship and
I always will. I don't want you to forget that.' Jill paused and
removed her knickers and gave them to Jack. 'Try these on,' she said,
so he tried them on but they were too small. 'I can't possibly get
into your knickers,' said Jack. 'Exactly,' replied Jill. 'And if you
don't change your f *** ing attitude, you never will.'

Rob
ski holidays
cc_7up, vague allusion and doesn't really saying anything. Most useful, thanks.
snow conditions
Jesus, "technique" for carrying skis rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
barry wrote:
Jesus, "technique" for carrying skis rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

what is the ski world coming to ?????? rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
barry wrote:

You ain't seen nothing! wink
snow conditions
Nickski wrote:
cc_7up, vague allusion and doesn't really saying anything. Most useful, thanks.

If & when you get either catch your face then the only thing vague might be your blurred vision but i suspect your attitude towards the miscreant will be crystal clear.
snow report
Hook straps of poles over ends of skis, hook pole through loop of other pole and use poles as a handle. I thought that was the point of poles?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why hold your skis?
I was in Les2Alps last year and watched school kids carrying their skis.
All of them had slings for their skis.
I looked around and found this DIY option, therefore for just a couple of pounds buy some webbing and use it to sling your skis.

http://outside.away.com/outside/gear/200612/make-a-ski-sling.html
snow conditions
[quote="Ghost Dog"]Hook straps of poles over ends of skis, hook pole through loop of other pole and use poles as a handle. I thought that was the point of poles?[/quote]

The point of poles is that they should be used to prod Snowboarders who lay about in the middle of pistes like herds of cows as you ski around them.

Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy