Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why can't people accept their "right" way of carrying ski is now wrong?

Poster: A snowHead
This was originally posted in the "why can't people learn to carry skis the right way". I submit what was "the right way" is now the "wrong" way for many!

Yoda wrote:
skiben, but you are balanced when the tips are down and your arm is resting on the front of the skis. With tips up there is insufficient length of ski from your shoulder to the tails to get much useful leverage, and hence there is a considerable strain on you.

That works better for the old generation of long straight skis than for the shorter morden shape skis. Morden skis are so much shorter (160-180cm). The length from tip to binding is no longer than the shorter portion of tail to binding of yesterday's straight skis of 200+cm!!!

And this is considerably worse for skier of smaller statue (small skier == shorter skis) with their 150cm skis. Talk about "insufficent length for leverage"!!! Wink

Megamum wrote:
...the tails of the skis with all the binding behind the shoulder makes them so difficult to balance with the arm as they are just soooo heavy. I say this as a non-petite lady used to working on a smallholding - heaven knows how more petite ladies must get on

That's exactly the reason why many of us ("more petite ladies") DON'T carry skis tips down!

The true is, you're not "resting" your arms on the tip of the skis, you're PUSHING down on it in order to balance out the full weight of the binding behind your shoulder! Except, of course, those with rather heavy arms, that is. Wink

And the shorter the ski (ski length proportional to weight), the more you have to PUSH DOWN to counter balance the weight of the ski, since you have less leverage for that critical "counter balance"! Obviously, the generally shorter length of morden shaped skis just made the matter so much worse. And twin tips? Totally impratical!

The more some people try to justify their "right way" of carrying skis, the more it exposes why it's the WRONG way for others.

Carrying skis tips down is a relic left over from the long straight ski days. Those who defended it as "tradition" are ignoring the real reason for its popularity then. but just blindly doing what they've been doing without understanding of why (hence why it's no longer applicable).

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 11-12-08 13:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You lot are all mental. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Surely people should carry skis in a way in which they find comfortable, other than that I can't see where an argument lies? Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
abc, I agree and we also don't have to carry skis as far as we did, but try telling that to the youth of today.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Surely one thread on this topic is sufficient? Not even the glove issue spawned more than one!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
abc, I carry my 155 Fischers (and all other skis) in the old 'correct' way and there's no need to push on the tips - the weight of my not very big arm is enough! Carrying skis the wrong way puts others in danger - I can't tell you how many times I've been whacked or nearly whacked by idiots swinging round with their skis behind their shoulders at shoulder level - ouch! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've carried all my skis tips down/binding above shoulder. That way has worked equally well for old style 200cm things I used to ski on, down to 155cm WC slalom skis. I don't thing there is a "right" way to carry skis, although if you bash into other people with your skis or poles there is most certainly a "wrong" way. But reverting to math to "prove" an argument about how to carry skis safely runs the risk of turning an already turgid subject into something like the 'inner tip lead' thread.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I always leave the ski carrying to my butler and I suggest you adopt the same approach yourselves.

I know what you're thinking... yes he does get a day off ! … on those occasions the chauffer simply has to do BOTH jobs himself.

That’s all I have to say on the subject
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh dear, that's the trouble with starting new threads - all the points made in the original ones come round again. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
who started this carrying skis over the shoulder thing anyway? whoever it was should have been shot. Along with people who get onto trains holding their sticks at a right angle to the ground.
/Icanfeeltheragebuilding Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stab, indeed, points also made on the original thread. Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes but whats the correct way to carry my poles? Is just taking both straps in my left hand and kind of letting then dangle down and drag behind me OK, or does it look more professional to click them together and hold them in the middle of the pole, also with my left hand, or should I kind of tie them to my skis and also ballance them over my shoulder and rest my right hand on them (tips down) so my left hand is left free to fend off other queuers and insert lift tickets into machines, or would I get along better if just left them lying and stole new poles at the restaurant at the top of the run Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle wrote:
stab, indeed, points also made on the original thread. Smile

I tried to read that thread but it hurt my head after half of page 1.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I can't see where an argument lies?

Spikyhedgehog,

You are young in posts
Arguments spring from nowhere
Unbidden but long

(where's the zen smiley?)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stab, Steilhang, Laughing Laughing
latest report
Yes, the first thread was already getting most points coming round for the third or fourth time Sad

To repeat what I've said 3 times and others have said repeatedly - people should do what works for them (if it really does work and they are not threatening other people's safety).

We off piste skiers (as I've said on the other thread) have to carry our skis long distance quite frequently and what is being called the "right" way is what works for us (I've never met someone who thought differently). What might work for very short skis I can't say and if you are only carrying them a couple of hundred yards on a road, it doesn't matter anyway.

(By the way I am assuming that the "other" way of carrying being put forward is with the shoulder between the two halves of the binding?)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 11-12-08 10:53; edited 2 times in total
snow report
why carry skis at all when you can just sling a board under one arm wink
snow conditions
rayscoops wrote:

Ouch, now that must be tiring.
latest report
I have this great picture in my head of hundreds of english skiers at the lifts arguing with each other about who is carrying their ski's the correct way and why its better than anything else, whilst everyone else just gets on with F*****G skiing all the powder!
Then once they all get going, all they will do is complain about it all being tracked out!
snow report
Quote:

(By the way I am assuming that the "other" way of carrying being put forward is with the shoulder between the two halves of the binding?)

That would reduce the length of the 'invisible' swinging end. Never tried it though. It used to be easy to carry skis upright holding them near the tips, but these big wide ends have put paid to that!
rolling eyes
snow report
Lizzard wrote:

We don't always disagree, then. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
Lizzard wrote:

We don't always disagree, then. Madeye-Smiley

You two are "You lot" too wink
snow report
rayscoops wrote:

exactly...Leash attached to both bindings, arm through the loop thus created, board just hangs from shoulder, no ache no pain..

Just the small matter of deciding what's best:left or right shoulder, bindings facing in or facing out, board 90°to the body or slanted..
A thread should sort this out quickly..

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 11-12-08 11:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Mosha Marc, snowHead
snow conditions
Kruisler, but I have no leash, so I find that carrying the board with the base facing me, front of board extended at 40 degress to the horizobtal, arm in front or the rear binding and using the binding as a pivot to balance the weight of board just above the elbow - so you are not actually carryining it as such, just resting it on you arm Very Happy I may well get a leash though for an alternative method wink

... but I have a directional board, ........ if it was a true twin tip ......., well ..... that would mean another thread probably ... Laughing
snow conditions
rayscoops,
interesting...does your technique work for a wide board?
snow report
The only thing I'm interested in is how to carry a coffin
ski holidays
Kruisler, yes, it just means that the angle of my arm from 'hand to elbow' is slightly greater in comparison with a non wide board, but you must wear a glove to ensure that you do not cut your self on edge of the board, unless you are a jib monkey and you have detuned the board anyway !!

If all else fails the 'James Dean over the shoulder but behind the head' technique is a good alternative option
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Could anyone tell me the correct way to:

a) carry my skis
b) and at least 2 sets of kids skis
c) my wife's ski boots

..............and still have a hand free to help the youngest Puzzled
latest report
pam w wrote:
You are young in posts
Arguments spring from nowhere
Unbidden but long

If I ever used signature quotes I'd be really tempted to steal that. It even has the requisite seasonal reference (well, it mentions "spring" anyway).
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
The only thing I'm interested in is how to carry a coffin

Perhaps these two ladies may be able to help?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 11-12-08 14:16; edited 1 time in total
latest report
i get the wife to carry mine wink
snow conditions
Quote:

I can't tell you how many times I've been whacked or nearly whacked by idiots swinging round with their skis behind their shoulders at shoulder level - ouch!

easiski, while I don't doubt carrying skis the traditional "right" way works, I don't see what difference it makes carrying it tip forward or tail forward. The length difference of the ski behind the shoulder is simply not big enough in today's shorter skis. So if someone is going to swing around on their shoulder and wack on the head of others behind them, they're going to do that even if they carry the ski tips forward!

Today's skis are so much shorter. So the difference of tip to binding vs. tail to binding is also shorter. All I'm saying is the arguement about "right vs wrong" way is now moot.

Also, the way to "get" the skis onto the shoulder? The "old fashion way" of grabbing the tip and pulling (or "tipping"?) it forward onto the shoulder also doesn't work too well when skis are only chin high (yes it worked a lot better when it used to be 20cm over my head). I've seen people SWINGING their skis just to get them on their shoulder. It was the most lethal weapon I've seen at the entire base village!

Personally, I've tried carrying my skis about 4-5 different ways. And none of them works that much better than others. I simply don't particularly like to carry skis on my shoulder, whichever end forward! That may have something to do with the fact I've got narrow (and rounded) shoulder so the skis simply want to slide off side ways. Sad

My favorate way of just wrapping my forearm under the binding (against my chest) to hoist it vertically off the ground? I've not seen too many people carrying it that way. But I can walk for 1/2 miles carrying skis like that! Shocked
ski holidays
abc, disagree. sorry. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Surely the best way is to have them carried by your ski caddy?
ski holidays
Basically, skis are too short these days to be carried comfortably, unless you have your arms surgically shortened.

Short skis suck. Long skis truck.
latest report
abc wrote:
I don't see what difference it makes carrying it tip forward or tail forward.

Given the choice of a rounded part at the front of the toepiece digging into my shoulder, or the normally sharp/pointed rear of the heelpiece binding digging into my shoulder I know which one I prefer. Also, tips down means there is slightly less ski above your head, which can make a difference when walking into lift buildings, underneath shopfront signs and similar overhangs.
ski holidays
http://www.natives.co.uk/news/2006/03/chamjam/mrandmrsplake600.jpg wink
snow report
paulcl, no need to steal it, I'll give it to you. snowHead
snow report
pam w, did you steal it (well, adapt it) from some long dead honourable Japanese guy?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy