Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Keeping it real" Challenge 2008/9

Poster: A snowHead
Time to try to kick off a new contest for the season. Post up or linky to the best examples of "keepin it real".

Definition of keepin it real:

Demonstrating serious old skool style or attitude in clothing/style/general demeanour
Dressing and skiing for yourself and plainly not giving a damn about the passing vagaries of fashion.

The following are not keeping it real:

Anything worn consciously or style attempted in an ironic fashion thus:
Hotdog day, Gaperil Fools day, Fartbag day, longboard day are not keeping it real.
Basically anyone who is thinking about keeping it real has already lost (sorta like "The Game" ).
Thus it will be more or less impossible to nominate yourself for keeping it real.

Style examples which may count as keeping it real :

Wearing of wool only attire.
Genuine wooden skis/leather boots/cable bindings etc
Most telemarkers will not be keeping it real unless they are on 3 pin bindings or skinny X country skis
Continental families in matching fartbags & hand me down skis
Neon and wedelling combinations
Square tail snowboards with Sorrells/wellies/ lowbacks/ baseless bindings
Salomon SX91 boots in classic white with 1st Gen Dynastar Courses.
Wearing of genuine military camo, motorbike leathers etc

Rules subject to modification by suggestion. Photo or video evidence to support nominations welcome.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob wrote:
(sorta like "The Game" ).

damn you Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The lack of response (given that the d2b thread is on 7 pages and the how to carry skis may get there) is surprising.

Would something like this qualify?

or maybe this?

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Definitely both examples of keeping it real - although the second may simply be lost and I believe the first is actually the height of fashion in Japan so might be challenged on those grounds. Remember its a season long contest.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, yes, I shall respond. In time. Will be keeping my eyes open and I can assure you there's no shortage of examples of several of your categories around our area.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
On my first ever skiing foray, to Val d'Isere of all places, I had no ski jacket or similar suitable attire but wore my denim jacket, on the slopes. Does that count? Unfortunately there is no photographic evidence to back this up - thankfully!

A friend was doing a season for Ski Val I think and I thought it would be a great idea to just get the train down there and turn up announced & kip on the floor - not realising that chalet staff have millions of frineds 'turn up' and its a big no no......
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Horizon, that is AWESOME. The spearmint boots with that outfit... A+. Outstanding.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
right then, this is me at Cairngorm for my first ever ski day, 25+ years ago...

Note thick woollen socks, waterproof over trousers, anorak and total lack of any ski gear whatsoever....

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, at least you're carrying your skis properly Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
On my first week skiing in val d'isere, 3 seasons ago, I wore my walking coat and my uncles 1960s race sallopettes with the zips broken at the bottom making them flared Blush
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rambotion that's class. But we need pics. Here's a rather tame contribution - doesn't compete with kitenski's socks.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I started ice climbing wearing a cheap kagool over a cheap wax country jacket. One bought ice axe and a home made shorter hammer. Very real Cool
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarpa, no doubt very real indeed. But shouldn't we stick to skiing. Else I might be tempted to post a picture of the "en suite" in our yacht in the Sarf of France. Otherwise known as a bucket....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I will be mostly keeping it 'FALSE' this winter.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

Pink fartbag, straps rather than ski brakes, rucksack, and she climbed 5000' in the middle of nowhere to ski the slope.
ski holidays
horizon, surely the outfit is grounds for disqualification, regardless of the high standard in the 'keeping it real' stakes demonstrated by the boots.
latest report
davidof, we might as well call it a day now then. We have a winner! Laughing
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
fatbob wrote:

Indeed.
snow report
Kramer wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
fatbob wrote:

Indeed.

I would remove the reference but anytime you saw the thread you'd just be reminded you'd lost. wink (Hope evil mod reprisal action is not taken)
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
rambotion that's class. But we need pics. Here's a rather tame contribution - doesn't compete with kitenski's socks.

I particularly like the fact that the bloke in the background has seen these three and is also saving that scene for posterity.
snow report
Cunners wrote:
I particularly like the fact that the bloke in the background has seen these three and is also saving that scene for posterity.

and his jacket, in turn, looks pretty "real"
snow report
Cunners, Laughing I hadn't noticed that!! But I'm sure he wasn't. Such scenes are 10 a cent in the Beaufortain...
ski holidays

Going down to Villaroger 2003, and again. Stephen is of that vintage though

snow report
http://www.fluorescentrompersuits.co.uk/

Plenty of photos of folks "keeping it real" in there Cool (in fact, best to wear shades before looking at some of them).
snow report
Yeh I was kinda inspired by memories of Bob's classic site but thought we should do more to expand teh categories.
snow report
I come from a small town on the south coast of Cornwall. Money wasn't so plentyful in those days. Those of use lucky enough to go on the school skiing trips were given a letter explaining how to waterproof our tracksuits. Confused One of our group, who's father was a trawlerman was sent off with a full set of yellow oilskins. rolling eyes We shared the hotel with a school from Bristol. The Bristolians ripped the p'ss right out of my yellow pal. Very Happy Is that 'real' enough? Puzzled
snow report
Mollerski, Laughing I hope they were 10,000 breathable yellow oilies. I went on one of those trips, too. I had my Norwegian ski school 1 star badge proudly sewed onto my anorak for years. I took my gran back a cheese slicing knife which is still going strong and in my kitchen drawer right now. We stayed in a youth hostel and my mum knitted me a fair isle sweater which itched like bu**ery though I never had the heart to tell her.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Mollerski, Laughing I hope they were 10,000 breathable yellow oilies. I went on one of those trips, too. I had my Norwegian ski school 1 star badge proudly sewed onto my anorak for years. I took my gran back a cheese slicing knife which is still going strong and in my kitchen drawer right now. We stayed in a youth hostel and my mum knitted me a fair isle sweater which itched like bu**ery though I never had the heart to tell her.

I was lucky enough to be dragged off to C&A in Plymouth for a fancy red outfit with a white stripe down the side. wink
That particular trip was to Monte Bondone in Italy. School ski trips were a total scream. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think this is going to be a great thread, throughout the winter, and will encourage me to keep a look out for entries throughout the season.
latest report
Where's Lizz'ard on this one. I thought she'd have popped over from the 'D2b' thread to give me another shreddin'. wink
snow conditions
Although not ski related I'm sure my fellow snowHead would appreciate the style and panache of these members of Swedish Dance Bands from the 70s:-

http://pics.yemii.com/swedish-dance-bands.html

Kick back, crack open a can of Hoffmeister, put some Des O'Connor on the gramaphone and enjoy......... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thank god Ingemar Stenmark had more style about him!
snow report
Sleipnir, thanks for that. Best laugh I've had in ages. I loved the Schytts. Laughing Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy