Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for advice on Selva & Ortisei or Canezi

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for advice on Selva & Ortisei or Canezi

Came accross an offer on web to either
1. Selva & Ortisei or
2. Canezi

Not sure which one to go for , we are intermediate skiers can ski most reds and the occasional black.

Looking for somewhere with a reasonable amount of skiing for one week.

Concerning Ortisei, is this a lower lying satellite town , if so is there skiing there or do you have to make your way up to Selva, if so is it lift linked or is it a bus job

Thanks Folks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is a larger amount of immediate local skiing in Selva/Ortisei than there is in Canazei.

Ortisei has lifts to skiing no both sides of the village. One side is a gondola taking you into the Alp di Suisi area, If you go up there, you will also have to use the gondola back down, or come back by bus.

The other side is a gondola followed by a cable car to get into the Col raiser area. You can ski back down to Ortisei from there, or you can ski down to Santa Christina, from where you can get into the Ciampinoi ski area above Selva, and then on into the Sella Ronda if you want.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kendub, all three resorts link into the Sella Ronda which gives access to 450-500km of pistes, so more than enough to keep you busy. All things being equal, I would recommend Selva as a base, higher altitude (better snow), most local skiing (175km in Val Gardena) plus two directions of Sella Ronda to explore other areas, varied apres, Germanic quality meets Italian sense of fun. You will cope with all the piste skiing which is mostly gentle, some steep reds & blacks are scattered about too, head over to Arabba for extra challenging slopes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kendub wrote:
Looking for somewhere with a reasonable amount of skiing for one week.

Would take weeks to ski everywhere on the lift pass. Great for high milage skiing if not too challenging.
Getting to disconnected parts is not so convenient.
I didn't care for Canezi, perhaps it was the temperature inversion & traffic smell all week. Access to Sella Ronda is OK.
Selva is lovely & well connected. Go to Arrabba if you like it bit steeper.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks folks for the replies. Any tips re Selva, where the quieter pistes are, where to eat on the slopes and the Sella Ronda, clockwise or anti ? (Is the resort much busier at weekends)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kendub, check out some mountain restaurant suggestions on this thread:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=41307&start=160

QUOTE: "You'll be spoilt for choice with mountain restaurants, they are plentiful, uniformly excellent, serve freshly cooked food, often with table service and good value. A good variety of German/Austrian, Italian and local Ladin food is available

Over the whole Sella Ronda area, some that stand out to me are Comici (fish and pasta) near Piz Sella, Meisules and Forcelles (a mean beefburger) near Colfosco, Fredarola (pizzas) at the top of Belvedere above Canazei, for grilled meat the one just along the ridge from Piz la Ila above La Villa and Rifugio Scotoni halfway down the Hidden Valley of Armentarola. Not forgetting the homemade cakes at Villa Frainela tea shop off to the left above the Selva nursery slopes. I'm salivating at the prospect!"

The whole thread contains good info for the area, if you can be bothered.

Any lifts and pistes that aren't part of the Sella Ronda route tend to be the quietest. E.g. Around Piz Sella above Selva it's not usually busy.

The area between Corvara and San Cassiano/Armentarola tends to be the quietest in the whole area:

Click to enlarge
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kendub, as to Sella Ronda, clockwise was always favourite 'cos there were some long drags on the anti-. Now no drags either way, both have their own appeal, but can get busy. Might be better just to use it to get to quieter areas, esp if you're there in peak weeks.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Definitely go for Selva. It's on the Sella Ronda, theres loads of skiing in either direction and a doddle to get back to the village.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Its worth being in Selva just to be near the Dantercepies piste which is my favourite cruising run in the Dolomites
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
riverman wrote:
Its worth being in Selva just to be near the Dantercepies piste which is my favourite cruising run in the Dolomites

A real thigh-burner that one, one variant was used for the Women's Downhill World Cup in 1970.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
luigi wrote:
riverman wrote:

A real thigh-burner that one, one variant was used for the Women's Downhill World Cup in 1970.

D'cepies right was the WC course. Yeah, to ski that in one hit takes a bit of sticking.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ive worked and stayed in most villages in the Dolomites. Go for Selva as directly on SR.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A pic from the Alba area of val di fassa, 5 mins up the road from canazei during feb half term last season! Was a sunday too!

what more could you ask for!?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
swskier, nice pic, there's something to be said for avoiding the scrum on the main Sella Ronda circuit, particularly at potentially busy times.

Never made it across to the Alba-Ciampac area, now it links right across twd Pozza, doesn't it? Good skiing and nice views! snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
luigi wrote:
swskier, nice pic, there's something to be said for avoiding the scrum on the main Sella Ronda circuit, particularly at potentially busy times.

Never made it across to the Alba-Ciampac area, now it links right across twd Pozza, doesn't it? Good skiing and nice views! snowHead

Very, particularly if you are looking for a nice relaxed day. Most of the runs are blues or easy reds, but they were just as empty when I did them as that photo shows.

This one is the other side, over towards Pozza, taken from a slopeside restaurant.
snow conditions
I'm trying to decide between Covara Ortisei and San Cassiano but can't take too long as it's for the half-term week. I'm looking for an attractive resort with long easy slopes for a virtual very cautious near beginner but where it will be easy to meet my much more capable son after ski lessons.Can anyone suggest which would be more suitable?
snow report
trevor, Corvara is probably the best spot for you. You could meet him at the top of one of the gondolas and find some gentle slopes to ski together, by the end of the week you'll be on the reds! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Thanks-do you know which would be the most convenient spot to stay in for easy access to ski school , lifts etc? Also is it possible to ski back to the village?
snow report
trevor, you can see on this map where the ski school meets on this map:

http://corvara.altabadiaski.com/start.php?page=dove&lang=EN

Anywhere on the bottom half of the map should be OK for walking, but IIRC there is a skibus that runs around the village.

Here's another map, Google Earth style with the lifts and road names overlayed:

http://www.miaaltabadia.it/cafecorvara/map.html

You can see all the lifts at the southern end of the village, gondolas are located at 2 o'clock & 7 o'clock, anything around the church or south and south-east of it is pretty handy. The places up Strada Arlara and the roads off are almost ski-in ski-out. Places up Strada Sassongher at the northern end would mean a bus.

Yes you can ski back to the village.
ski holidays
Thanks-left it a bit late and am having diificulty in finding accommodation in Covara but there seems to be some availability in Ortesei.Also Ortisei seems easier to get to by public transport. I wondered if it was also possible to ski back to Ortesei for a near beginner.
snow report
Selva, St. Christina and Ortisei are all served by SAD buses. I would personally chose either of these over and above the other villages on the SR. They are all well connected, fun in the eves and not out on a limb when it comes to returning at the end of each day.
snow conditions
trevor wrote:
. I wondered if it was also possible to ski back to Ortesei for a near beginner.

A bit tricky, as you'll have the Sasslong A or B to negotiate. The SAD bus from Selva to St. Christina would be the way to go then take the funicular up to Seceda to ski the 'James Bond' run back into Ortisei.
snow conditions
Selva is mine and many other friend's favourite place to Ski. Not massively challenging, but a vast area of off-piste is available for those who go beyond..We watched some Italian ski Instructors on a course we had been chatting with on the way up, plunge down off the sheer face at the top of the Passa Pordoi cable car. (We were up there sight seeing)

The sheer scale of the amount of skiing on the super dolomite is incredible and short taxi rides can take you over to my favourite run, which drops down from the top of the Marmalade? cable car. You need to get a short taxi ride up to it off the Sella Ronda as it's over towards Cortina. But no one I know doesn't think the Hidden Valley isn't one of the most breathtakingly beautiful cruises in skiing. After the sharp drop and right hander out the cable car station you go on a long glide (9km) over steep roller coasters and turn down into the open sun bowl of the valley. The decent down is terrific off piste. I watched an expert friend take two good but first time of pisters do it.

Then about 2/3 down is the famous Scotts restaurant. Wonderful mixed grill platters. After lunch you descend down more narrow and turning piste to pass the frozen waterfall, which I've been told children can sometimes ski under. It's what sking is all about.

By the way wasn't it the Champenois run on the other side of Selva that was the women's World Cup Run in 1970 or was it 74?? But yes Dantercepies is a great run and you have steep or less steep options at the top. It does get very mogul slusshy in the afternoon though!

Unlike France's often questionable toilet facilities, the bogs are superb in this part of Italy, must be the Austrian connection.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy