Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which ski poles?

Poster: A snowHead
I am going to La Plagne on Saturday. CANT WAIT!!!!

I have £60 to spend on new ski poles.
I saw some Leki titanium ones in snow & rock, they were so light!!!! I thought these are ace I'm buying these...
but then I thought, hang on, I don't really know what I'm doing?

So hence my forum post...
Any advice on which poles to go for?
What makes?
Should I go for the lightest poles?
Any other considerations apart from colour Smile

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lauralime, Length should be pretty much your only consideration. I have seen no reason to get a fancy pole in the past.. what does it do that a £20 pole doesn't do? I prefer the heavier alu ones anyhoo.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What do they sound like Puzzled
I have a carbon fibre pair but they don't make the right noise on clicking together when overtaking. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My other half has Leki Titaniums with the trigger system, she loves them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
"what ski-pole" - done a couple of weeks ago in this thread - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=45012

Anything that's the right length surely..
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
use your old poles and spend the money on post-ski refreshment Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The price I pay for them seems to be in inverse proportion to their life expectancy. Given up buying poles that cost more than £20, the expensive ones got either pinched or I stacked and broke them in days. Now just get the cheapest sale ones that are the right length and put wider baskets on them.

Unless you're a racer, or touring and like having the long neoprene grips, no point in anything fancy imo.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnnyrotten wrote:
Now just get the cheapest sale ones that are the right length and put wider baskets on them. .

....and spend the rest of the money on gluhwein Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AdrianV wrote:

....and spend the rest of the money on gluhwein Very Happy

yes. then "mislay" (forget) them on leaving the bar Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wish dare2b made poles.

Gap in the market there.

Definitely.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I bought some I think Leki carbon ones years ago. A basket broke, I couldn't get a replacement anywhere in Val or Tignes. I left them in a bin and used rental poles, I shall not be buying fancy poles again.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks folks for your help!

hmmm gives me something to think about!

I can't wait until Saturday when I have my first Vin Chaud of the season - I do like that drink Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lauralime wrote:
I can't wait until Saturday when I have my first Vin Chaud of the season - I do like that drink Smile

Glad that you have got your priorities right! Smile

btw skiing without poles is absolutely fine - clearly they can be useful, but not a necessity....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lauralime, Agree with AdrianV - you don't actually need them really. I never use them 'on piste' apart from on 'big' bumps ( V rarely) and lift queues, then again I'm an intermediate with a D2B. So What do I know
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I just discovered that I appear to have lost my poles from last season, on hunting round the garage I found my dad's old c.1980's poles in the right length.

Score old school Scott poles! Very Happy
snow report
Spikyhedgehog, same... old school black ones, different coloured baskets, classy neon scott writing!
ski holidays
What Ski Poles !!, I have some lightweight Scott ones that match my ski's and cost me about £60. But what I really want to complement them and make them far heavier is the "Tipple dispenser's" that you fit to the top of the grip's so you can fill your poles with your fauvorite Brandy to drink at leisure whilst on the slopes. Quite simple the sooner you drink the liquid the sooner your poles are back to the desired weight Laughing Laughing

Seen them being used but don't know where to buy them, tried Ebay but no joy, anyone know. Serious Q.
ski holidays
johnnyrotten, it sounds like you get through an awful lot of poles. I've got a pair that came "free" with very cheap skis in a sale, in France, absolutely yonks ago.
snow conditions
lauralime, why do you think that we Polish people should be any better at judging what skis you should get than any other race? Puzzled
snow report
how do you measure the right length?
snow conditions
you've got to remember to take the girth into account as well, it's not just about the length! Shocked

seriously though, I would consider any more than £30 spent on poles to be a waste, they'll only get lost/stolen.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy