Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heat Mould or Foam Inject for new Boot Fitting?

Poster: A snowHead
I have skied since I was a young 4 year old, so 28 years. I like to think I am advanced but not expert! so comfortable on any run (to date that is).

Close friends from years ago whom I am still in contact from Scottish Ski School Competitions advice me to go for Foam Inject Liners but I am still unsure?. I was never big on or bothered to read data on Ski Equipment Technology, hence this request for feedback. last bit of knowledge I used was when I had bought 747 Bindings yonks ago.

I have a footbed made by my Podiatrist last year for everyday shoes (taletale sign of heel wearing massivly on outer part), so I take custom fit footbed is a must?.

Shops that are local say I should look at heat mould first but I still have Foam Inject in my mind?

Any Advice would be appreciated.

Break over back to work!!!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Visit a good bootfitter and take their advice. I have a pair of foamed liners and the fit is much closer than the heat-molded factory liner I had in a previous pair of boots. The foamed liner also stiffens the flex of the boot a little bit as well.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SCOTT, The Conform'able injection liners offer the most customised and precise fit possible - for competent skiers who use their boots regularly they offer an unprecedented fit. However, it is vital they are done by an expert bootfitter who is experienced with the system. The potential for error during the molding is high, all you end up with there is a very expensive mess. Are you limited to the UK for a fitting because SMALLZOOKEEPER in Chamonix is one of the best 'injectors' around?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SCOTT, I'm no expert in these fields but have had mouldable liners (admittedly I think it was just the tounge??) and the full foam injection thing. For me the foam injected boots fit like a glove and are excellent and hopefully they should last me at least 10 seasons (based on other folk that have been buying the same make of boots for yonks now). One of the things that the Strolz shop had in Lech was a platform to stand on with walking stick type appliances that you had to grab on to and push the weight down on your feet when the foam was getting injected but I've not seen these at any of the local shops in Glasgow that have been discussed in your other post. Don't know if this makes a difference or not - reckon that it might help with the stability and therefore reduces the potential for error that NAKEDZOOKEEPER, was talking about.

Getting the foam injection done is not a very pleasant experince, although it was helped by a couple of Schnapps in Strolz wink , but the outcome for me was an instant improvement in my skiing. Oh and definitely get a foot bed made. Does make a difference
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boabski, The platform and grip bars a standard part of the Injection moulding kit - however they do not remove the potential for error during the injection process. The error is removed by a competent and experienced bootfitter.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes agree, its not the component but the person who does the foam process correctly that determines the outcome (with myself also following the fitters instuctions ). The place with most recommendations seems to be Blues Ski Shop in Glasgow. I know Greaves in Glasgow also do the Foam Liner but not had any feedback from anybody good or bad. I see Blues is also in Edinburgh but not sure how good the staff are there?

Thanks for feedback to you all. Keep it coming
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You would be hard pressed to find anyone with more foamed liner experience than Strolz. As far as I am aware all their boots have a foamed liner and they are a family business established in 1921.

http://www.strolz.at/english/gesamt.htm

The strolz liner can also be fitted into other shells. Many shops in Austria offer other manufacturers boots and strolz liners.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB, Would agree. When I was getting mine done the chap said that they did max 30 per day, and probably min 30 per day as they are booked out in advance for appointments. They also had other makes of boots but hardly sell any of them as everyone goes for their own brand.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
30 pairs of boots, i can do 3 a day max, properly. Confused
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Should refrase that - the shop do 30 pairs max per day, not the individual, There's about 8 of them that fit them so probably similar to you then
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
at the end of the day if a foam is done well, on the right foot it is great, if not it can be a disaster zone, one thing to understand is that all feet cannot be foam fitted well, some feet are just too compressible to withstand the pressure form the process, if you have a foot like this all you do is crush the foot in the foam injection process and it will never be comfortable to wear

BTW i had a woman pass out when i did her liners a few years back Shocked Shocked .... after the event she did think they were great
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zipfit instead Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alex A, for most peopel i feel zipfit offers a viable alternative, SMALLZOOKEEPER, doesn't like them, but i have not had any problem fitting them into tight race shells or performance fit boots, one advantage is you can move them from shell to shell so if a boot shell does agt worn out or broken in some way you cna take the lienr to another model and so long as the fit is good for the foot the zipfit will remould with a little heat, the performance ins i feel pretty similar, to a foam in terms of fit but with the zip fit your foot has a little freeedom to flex throughout the turn, soething which you cannot get from a static mould foam liner
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I really like the idea of Zip-Fit and they have the advantage of offering some sort of insulation too. I couldn't fit them in my current boots, so ended up with Foam. Foam gives a fantastic fit, but it's freezing cold. My toes are like ice blocks.
Off to CEM for new ones tomorrow, so hopefully shells that'll take Zips.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman wrote:
I really like the idea of Zip-Fit and they have the advantage of offering some sort of insulation too. I couldn't fit them in my current boots, so ended up with Foam. Foam gives a fantastic fit, but it's freezing cold. My toes are like ice blocks.
Off to CEM for new ones tomorrow, so hopefully shells that'll take Zips.

I just got foamed, got the break-in to do tomorrow. From what I've read (no experience yet), the cold toe thing is a bad mold?
latest report
DaveC, I didn't need any break-in, best advice I had was to wear them that night for 45 minutes to stop any further expansion.
The cold toes is down to 2 things with my boots, First and major problem is they leak like a sieve (being sorted tomorrow) Second, foam liners are very thin around the toes, which was the main reason for going for them to give me some more room for my toes.
I'd say the fitting and foaming was perfect (LARGEZOOKEEPER & CEM) no way a bad moulding.
ski holidays
Oh, fair enough - leaking is a good enough reason for me! I've been advised that the first 5-8hrs tomorrow are going to be cold and not comfortable - I'm in a shell size smaller than before too (and last year was a 15mm shell fit). That and the -37 with windchill forecast tomorrow... interesting Very Happy
ski holidays
DaveC, Really, wear them again today, it'll save hours of agony. My shell check is 7mm, so i know what it's like.
I've been watching the forecast, can't wait till February.
snow report
What kind of foaming did you have? I'll whack 'em on in a second... mine was done with the Nordica injection kit if that makes any difference? Just wondering since I'm suprised I didn't get the "wear them at home" advice, especially with the hill shut. Stoked to have them though, gonna really push for my CSIA2 and then 3 this season (which is apparently do-able) and I figure they're gonna help!
ski holidays
DaveC, I've got Comformable Pro Form. The advice was given by LARGEZOOKEEPER who does loads of them for the race teams. Aparently the foam expands a bit more as it finally cures, by wearing them later the same evening, it halts this, avoiding most of the discomfort of skiing them to pack them out. I had no issues with them being uncomfortable after I'd followed the advice.
I'd assume the foam is pretty similar across the brands, it seems to me not much different to be the stuff that's injected into cavity walls.

Looking forward to that beer in Feb.
latest report
doesn't matter the brand, they should be worn for 45min to 1hour the evening of the day they were foamed...as has been said it just helps the final cure
ski holidays
I really need some help with my boots. My Lange L10's have a leather zipfit liner and it needs some more stuff injected into the ankle. Cant find anyone that has the stuff as they are about 7 years old. Not sure of exact model...anyone help? I'm going to Chamonix for 14 days from the 28th Feb so could go to Footworks and try to solve there or maybe the time has come to buy new boots...hmmm....can't decide. CEM, can you help with my old Zipfits?
ski holidays
Alex A, where is the injection point on the one you have, if it is at the back of the boot then they are silicon inject and there is no one who will have the silcon as it will be way past its sell by date by now, if the injection points are on the sides of the liner then it is OM fit compound and i have a pile of the stuff Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

if you are looking at a new boot the new zip fit are fantastic, much better than the current ones....i guess you either have a very slim foot to have a zip fit in an L10 or the boot is over size
ski holidays
CEM, Cheers for that info. I think the injection points are on the side. Will get into loft and check later.

Re my L10's...they are defo not big..I have very slim feet for sure(fitted by Footworks in nov 98 and then zip fit year later after full season) They are very hard to get in or out of the boot I must say and up until my foot started to move forward every so slightly they were just about ok in terms of size. If the weather is cold they are really small. Now the aNkle has no firm hold my toes get rammed up against the front, especially when i'm hiking Sad. I suppose i'm at that stage where I dont know what to do as a race boot maybe isn't what I need now. But a Factor would be way too wide for me...decisions...do love my boots when they are comfy though. Everything is a compromise with one set of boots though. A new zippy in mine may do it if we cant inject anymore stuff...

I've got to drive to Birmingham next week maybe I could pop in on the way back down the M40? Wednesday the 17th anytime pm... Puzzled

Alex
latest report
Hmm, I got foamed then boots were left to cure for 24hrs - wore them a couple of hours yesterday then skied my first 3 hours in them. Really pleased - nowhere near as much discomfort as I expected, toes like ice cubes initially but in the last hour after a pit stop to warm up they were fine (and this is in -20 to -30 plus windchill). I'm in a way tighter shell than before too and didn't really feel any hotspots or areas that are in desperate need of punching. Definitely loving the foam!
snow report
Alex A, need to cherck the diary, should be able to take a look, best thing is to call me in the office on monday, contact details on the web site in the link below
latest report
Spyderman, 2 people did your foams? Tag team?
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

LARGEZOOKEEPER to inject the liners and CEM to laugh at my discomfort. Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LARGEZOOKEEPER to inject the liners and CEM to laugh at my discomfort. Laughing[/quote]

For those thinking about injections your not makeing it sound to exciting!!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
ntfarmer, I may end up going down that route due to narrow ankles and low volume foot.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

I was tag-teamed by you and Naked at last year's Bootfest at Lockwoods. Twice the pain, twice the Red Bull-fuelled mania!
snow report
rob@rar, Did they use Foam or Whipped Cream? wink Laughing
snow conditions
Spyderman, Laughing
ski holidays
ntfarmer wrote:
LARGEZOOKEEPER to inject the liners and CEM to laugh at my discomfort. Laughing

For those thinking about injections your not makeing it sound to exciting!!! Toofy Grin[/quote]

Just off the hill on my second day with foam - besides toes like literal iceblocks (it's -40 and lower with windchill here, so I dont think it's worth blaming the liners yet), they felt amazing. No discomfort (again, might be too cold in my toes to feel foot pain elsewhere), but they're so responsive and tight it's wicked. Definitely worth it...
snow report
how does windchill effect your toes?
ski holidays
same way it effects my fingers - it's cold?
ski holidays
DaveC, bit more of a test later in the week by the look of it, temperatures are dropping further. Shocked
snow report
[b]DaveC[/b Are your boots not windproof then?
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Whilst skiing I would think that windchill made very little difference to boot temperature, but riding chairlifts or standing still, the wind would have a great effect on the cooling of the boots. The warming of the boots is internally from the feet and externally from radiated heat from the sun. The boot shells are being chilled at a faster rate in windy conditions to still air conditions, but the heat sources are the same, so more likely to get cold feet when it's windy.
snow report
Spyderman, Hmmmmmm, whilst skiing windchill makes little difference? What about the effect movement has, isn't this windchill also?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy