Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snow tyres hire company scam?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
i read that snow tyres are now legally required in germany and in austria from jan 1st on. we are hiring 2x cars from avis in munich airport in jan for travel to serfaus in austria and we are being quoted 200Euro extra for snow tyres for both cars. my question is if its illegal to use a car in germany without winter tyres then wont they be on the car anyway even if i dont order them? is this just a scam by the hire companies to rip us off as the car must be fitted with winter tyres for the winter months anyway?? surely the dont put on summer/normal tyres if i dont order!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
creedgearoid, Not sure about this, as if its a legal requirement it shouldnt be an extra. Try Holiday Autos instead, they'll probably use Avis.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I travel to Sweden regularly through the year and in winter the hire cars always come with studded winter tyres at no extra charge (and my company always book Hertz through Ryan air). I think that in Sweden the law says you must have winter tyres fitted between certain dates. I could be wrong (and theres lots of previous posts on this) but imho I think that Germany only requires you to have "tyres suitable for the conditions", so the hire companies get a big loophole. I think in Austria they are required, but you're hiring from Munich so German "rules" apply. This might be a stupid question but what happens if you ring Avis in Austria and book a car to use in Austria but to collect and return to Munich. They'll charge you extra pick up fees, but it might be less than the German tyre charge.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
that's one of the reasons "bargain" rental prices aren't so good once you add in all the extra. When I've hired in Switzerland I've always used Avis or Hertz as their prices include snow tyres.

Don't forget you'll also need to buy a vignette for the motorways when driving into Austria, otherwise you risk getting fined.

regards,

Greg
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Avis or Hertz as their prices include snow tyres.

well not in Germany, it seems. Some Snowheads have also reported being asked for additional payments for snow tyres in the Swiss side of Geneva.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Be very careful of the insurance implications if you don't have winter tyres.

The roads to/from Munich can become jammed up esp. during heavy snowfall and peak changeover times - no fun when you have a flight to catch on the way back. Consider train from Munich and then car / taxi for the last part of the journey. (e.g. Munich to Landeck by train then 16 miles from Landeck to serfaus by taxi).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski wrote:
that's one of the reasons "bargain" rental prices aren't so good once you add in all the extra. When I've hired in Switzerland I've always used Avis or Hertz as their prices include snow tyres

I've always had winter tyres when hiring from the Swiss side of Geneva, regardless of which rental company I end up with (almost always through Holiday Autos). I've never paid extra for winterization kit.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just come back from a few days skiing in Austria visiting friends who live there. We were advised by them not to book snow tyres with the hire car as it is legal requirement from the 1st Nov this year for all cars to be fitted with them thoughout the winter months. We hired through Hertz and the vehicle did have snow tyres fitted.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar wrote:
kitenski wrote:
that's one of the reasons "bargain" rental prices aren't so good once you add in all the extra. When I've hired in Switzerland I've always used Avis or Hertz as their prices include snow tyres

I've always had winter tyres when hiring from the Swiss side of Geneva, regardless of which rental company I end up with (almost always through Holiday Autos). I've never paid extra for winterization kit.

ditto.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
AFAIK German law states that "all weather" tyres must be fitted between 15th November and some time in March. Not Winter/Snow tyres specifically. So if you rent in Munich you should automatically get a car with what people generally refer to as "Winter tyres". This may or may not be the same type as those fitted to rental cars in Austria.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dats where i was coming from andy, reckon you are spot on re the german law. I must speak to sumone to find out if "all weather" tyres will do me in snow conditions. 2x cars costing approx 500 euro for hire and best quote I could get for taxi from munich to serfaus for 10 people is 920euro! but if i get snow tyres its another 100 per car
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So how does this affect the snow coaches coming from the UK and other countrys then? Are they required to have snow tyres ? I guess they would be carrying snow chains on board any way wouldn't they?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy