Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can fat people snowboard?

Poster: A snowHead
Aneira,

Yes I spoke to him last night actually and told him that when he does eventually get to go, to book 2 tickets instead of one.

I want to get myself into the gym and do some swimming and also have some lessons at a sowdome to give myself some sort of idea of what to expect. As I mentioned in a previous post, I don't particularly enjoy exercise but I think that having a snowboarding holiday as an excuse will certainly give me the drive and motivation to keep going.

I don't believe I'm a burden to my husband but he worries that I will hold him back if I don't enjoy it as somebody elses girlfriend has done (see above). But that is only because we have never done this together before.

Like I said, I've spoken to him and he seems quite excited about the prospect of taking me with him now.

And if it turns out after a few days that I don't like it, there's plenty of patisserie shops in The Alps apparently....

xxx Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nightingirl, Look, just take it easy. Don't go out on the first day and spend five or six hours getting tired, sore and frustrated. Limit yourself to three or four hours at the most for the first three days, then after go do something different, even if it's just a long walk around the resort. It's all to do with not over-fatiguing a small number or narrow range of muscle groups otherwise you can end up with cramps you can only have nightmares about.

Have a chat with your PG about your general health and tell him/her that you plan to get sweaty at altitude. Stay hydrated but don't swig litres of the stuff and DON'T drink alcohol immediately after your lessons, give it an hour for your metabolism to stabilise a little after all its (presumably) unaccustomed effort.

I think that everyone here wishes you a great time, but you have to be sensible. It's very easy to get caught up in the excitement of something new and because of that completely f Shocked k yerself in the first couple of hours. Some baby steps in a snowdome are a good start and will give you an idea of the efforts you will be putting in on the hill . . . and don't forget that you will be at altitude, and until you experience the difference that makes I can't emphasise how much you need to 'pace' yourself.

Though it has to be said that after a long day, here's nothing better than a Tartiflette Body Wrap and a glass of something white, cold, and tart wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Masque, Ah... the thought of some good food....and my wiife in a glass Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Masque, Thanks for the advice. But I doubt I'll be on the snow this winter. Probably won't be for another year now. I just need to prepare myself and my body before I go so I don't end up in some sort of shock.

Why can't you drink alcohol straight after a lesson though? What happens? Will I pass out?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nightingirl, it would be a good idea to find a friend who would be interested in some beginner snowboard lessons in a snowdome - you might find somebody here at Snowheads. More fun with two of you.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam_w. Already have! Smile Spoke to a friend last night and she's up for it too. Her bf is also an experienced boarder so we are going for a few lessons together at a snowdome and then, hopefully, a holiday some place for the four of us!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nightingirl, Raised heart rate through exercise and altitude with probably concomitant lifted BP . . . then into a warm bar and the capillary relaxation induced by alcohol can lead to a sudden and massive drop in blood pressure = fainting. Also . . . once you start drinking , you ain't gonna stop Blush So a bit of self-discipline to limit you calorie intake immediately after you finish your efforts will allow your Krebs cycle to stabilise and you get maximum stored fat utilage before fuelling your bloodstream with fresh sugars. Stay on water for an hour after sweating your socks off, then enjoy wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the tip Masque! I will defintately be bearing this one in mind for the future!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nightingirl, good for you on deciding to go for it. Very Happy You will have sooooo much fun.

My wife (who is of the smaller variety) went on her first ski holiday last year and absolutely loved it. she took a course of 7 or 8 beginner lessons before we went and this meant that she could get out there and ski as soon as she got there. Although she was in a beginners group in lessons she wasn't in the absolute, "i've never done this before" group. It meant she could get out and see more and get around without having to spend the first couple of days anchored to the bottom nursery slopes. So... get lessons before you go, it'll make a massive difference.

Also, a wee cautionary note... After learning to board, you may well be tempted to go out and get some of your own equipment - ie. boots. Don't do it. If you're serious about keeping going with the sport, wait until you've lost some weight before getting fitted for boots. If you buy them too early, once you've lost a bit of weight then they may well turn into the boots from hell as your newer slimmer feet slide and move around inside what once was a decent fit.

Enjoy yourself though - it's amazing up there in them there mountains Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque wrote:
Nightingirl, Raised heart rate through exercise and altitude with probably concomitant lifted BP . . . then into a warm bar and the capillary relaxation induced by alcohol can lead to a sudden and massive drop in blood pressure = fainting. Also . . . once you start drinking , you ain't gonna stop Blush So a bit of self-discipline to limit you calorie intake immediately after you finish your efforts will allow your Krebs cycle to stabilise and you get maximum stored fat utilage before fuelling your bloodstream with fresh sugars. Stay on water for an hour after sweating your socks off, then enjoy wink

so that is where I have been going wrong ! I always thought it was that dodgy keeebab or burger on the way home Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rayscoops, You're old enough and definitely ugly enough to know that we are what we eat . . . rolling eyes

But yes, our bodies take time to stabilise . . . before, during, and after exertion . . . so it is a factor in weight stabilisation to understand how this works and not filling your bloodstream with cheap sugars immediately after exercise is a benefit.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Funny how they always have those snack vending machines at leisure centres though isn't it?
rolling eyes
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nightingirl, that's the difference between your heath and their income . . . . Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, I also thought my body was still burning calories immediately after boarding and that slamming as many beers and apple pies down my throat would take advantage of my metabalism converting those calories in to energy rather than lard Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops, who cares anyway ... your on holiday Cool snowHead
snow report
It all explain why I did not reach 8pm a couple of years ago when we went to watch the rugby straight off the slope....

That's the only plausable explanation...
snow conditions
Kruisler, nah, you just can't hold your beer wink
ski holidays
I don't see why not, try to take it easy and if you could lose a stone or two before the trip, all the better! Enjoy it! Very Happy
snow conditions
Go for it nightingirl

IMO its all about taking part. Smile

Have you tried mens gear? TKMaxx is great! Smile
snow report
Go snowboarding - you'll love it.

Get a new husband.
snow conditions
Hi all, I just wanted to thank those of you who were supportive and encourage us bigger girls to get on the mountain. Skiing and boarding are my boyfriend's *ONLY* love (besides his daughter, and me), and while I know there are probably problems with that, it is very important that we be able to do this activity together once in a while. It's Labor Day weekend here in the U.S., and we've been shopping for two days looking for clothing. Finding pants for big girls has been a challenge, but it's worth it to me (despite coming home and feeling like I'm trying to enter a world that just isn't built for me). Anyway, thanks again to the positive posters!
snow conditions
I've not read the entire thread but I'm going to pitch in anyway.

Nightingirl, you should aim to loose some of that excess weight before you go snowboarding; so book your trip so you have something to aim for and get yourself to the gym and on a calorie restricted diet.

If you go away while carrying so much excess weight, the strain you will place on your knee joints will be a lot higher. The risk of breaking a wrist or something will also be much higher with more weight to come crashing down on a fragile wrist. You will pick up snowboarding quicker the fitter you are as you will be able to concentrate on learning to board rather than on your screaming muscles.
snow report
kat.ryb, This was 4 years ago, I think Nightingirl will have already been. wink
snow report
How is being fat a problem,snowboarding clothes are all cut on the large size anyway.Isn't it? Evil or Very Mad I know this thread is 4 years old.
snow conditions
There could be another reason, he may be trying reverse phsycology and trying to get you to lose weight,

And before anyone rips into me, Mrs Baggins used to be a size 22 top and an 18 bottom. Both of us did a diet fitness regime two years ago.

Mrs Baggins is now a size 12 top and 10/12 bottom ( i almost fancy her Very Happy Very Happy )

i went from a 40 inch waist down to a 34 inch, we both skiid at our max fighting weight and Mrs B also boarded.

However since losing weight and getting fitter, we find we can ski longer and enjoy it more.
latest report
Nightingirl, for ski clothes and gear, this is a pretty good site...

http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/skiwear-snowboots/ski-brands/white-rock.html

have a look at the WhiteRock stuff...

As for learning... PamW's advice of getting up on your toe edge is a huge energy saver - as long as you are comfortable with a toe-edge turn wink

Do it and have a great time!
latest report
geepee, woah, didn't clock that! Thanks Very Happy

How did it get to the top of the list? Puzzled
latest report
Haveing a bit of spare myself, the only issue I have is bending down to do up the ruddy straps, so I have a set of step in bindings, dead easy to get into and not much bending.

However, if you fall in powder and can't get up, they are a bug to release !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If I was so fat I couldn't bend over I think my ability to snowboard would be th least of my worries. Shocked
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
If I was so fat I couldn't bend over I think my ability to snowboard would be th least of my worries. Shocked

Worrying if you had put a mismatched pair of shoes on?
snow conditions
Filthyphil30k, more the fact that I couldn't tie the laces. Laughing
snow report
Lizzard, It's what Velcro and track ( haha) suits are for. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Given that the OP is 4 years old, I wonder how it went?. Can we start a sweepstake?

I reckon Nightingirl got fit, took snowboarding lessons with an instructor called Enrique who like the larger figure.
Dumped the offensive OH and OP is currently practicing touching her toes having proper nights in with her instructor. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I reckon she gave up and never went...
snow conditions
Quote:

Given that the OP is 4 years old, I wonder how it went?. Can we start a sweepstake?

Gainz,
Quote:

I reckon she gave up and never went

I reckon that she did one lesson in a snowdome, came crashing down onto her wrists and broke them. Hence ending her snowboarding efforts. She then vowed never to exercise again as it was so dangerous, and is now even fatter.
snow report
or maybe the BF forgot to roll her in flour one day before getting jiggy...
snow conditions
Fair play!!!

I went snowbarding for the first time last season and i was about 85kg... and a size 16... But i loved every minute of it... it was tough with the falling over and doing face plants all over the mountain in the first 2 days... But i stuck with it for the next 14 days and it turned out i was actually a good boarder... and the best thing was i lost about 5kgs in the 2 weeks!!!

My advice would be Stock up on arnica!! My bum and knees were black and blue.. Embarassed i went back for 5 days in March on my own and still had a blast and improved more and more!! my instructor from the first holiday was well impressed!! Very Happy oh and invest in knee pads...

Good luck!!!!! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
If it's something you really want to try then go for it!

I am 5'6 206lbs and 22 yrs old which puts me around size 19 and I have been snowboarding twice now. I totally love it and plan to keep going and improving. Ill be going again in a few weeks. First time this year, and hopefully more than once this season.

My first day was really tricky I couldnt stand up on the board through my entire lesson and it was pretty embarrasing not going to lie so I missed alot of the stuff I needed to learn. Later that day though I learned that if I flipped around on my stomach and dug the board in I could very easily get up on the board backwards and turn it around. I spent the rest of the day going up and down the bunny slope pretending I could turn NehNeh

Day two I tackled my first run and fell in love with snowboarding
. I fell a ton and still couldnt really turn so I did alot of sitting in the snow and re positioning the board and standing back up but I had a patient freind with me who wasnt big but still learning as well and I made it down in one peice with a huge smile on my face. I was pretty proud of myself no matter how pathetic that run would have seemed to an experienced boarder, And I got the determination I needed to keep going.

My second trip was even better a year later a couple months before I went I started doing squats, wall sits, squat jumps, and stretching. Certainly not in the form of a regular excersise regimine but enough that I think it helped me out on the slopes and I saw some
Small improvements in number of squats I could do ect.

Now this year im hoping I can remember how to turn and ill have an even better time!

Recommendations:
finding snowboarding clothes in my size was really really hard but I found that mens runs bigger so I went with mens xl columbia pants
In black . And a burton womens jacket in xl fit just not over my butt. I didnt like how truly unflattering the mens looked but if the womens doesnt fit then mens is fine too. They apparently dont make xl womens jackets in fun colors unless you want to pay an arm and a leg for it. So I went with black too and found a pretty purple med thickness crew sweatshirt to wear under it and I wore two pairs of the brand aspire's thicker workout yoga pants under the pants. I stayed plenty warm and dry.

Although the colors of my gear was borring it allowed me to find new super awesome and cute beanies each time I went and ofc everything matches black ; D

I dont have my own board or anything, ive rented every time ive gone and the places ive gone seemed to have quality gear at low costs which was at seirra-at-tahoe and mount shasta base camp board rentals. I just dont know enough about tge sort I need to commit to purchasing my own

The first time you go take someone whos never done it with you. Its pretty boring for experienced riders to have to stop twelve times on a green run.

and last but not least do squats and stretches it deffinetly helps and getting your muscles used to hurting isnt a bad thing either. My first time boarding I lost 8lbs in two days!

And snowboarding has helped me want to make healthier lifestyle choices!

I hope that by sharing my experience I motivate other sporty but big ladys to give it a go. But remember the first day sucks get over it and go again!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 1-03-14 19:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
AlyNic, welcome to Snowheads - and thanks for an inspiring story. Keep at it! snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
AlyNic, Thank you for sharing, I hope you continue to progress and have a lot of fun on the snow!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy