Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can fat people snowboard?

Poster: A snowHead
Remember,the bigger they are,the harder they fall.I would not like to catch an edge and face plant(it will happen).Get some lessons first.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nightingirl,

I tried boarding after many years skiing and thought it was insurmountable without having seperate skis to help me recover in dodgy situations and without poles for a bit of psychological aid (pathetic, I know). I would go for snowboarding first if you've never skied so you potentially don't develop that mindset and yes, I know there are many who can do both and who switch from one to the other without any probs. Someone, many posts ago, mentioned core stability and this is very important so you may find pilates classes of help as they are designed to develop that and to work your muscles round it to improve them. Body Pump is also a good and very enjoyable means of improving your muscle strength. I am not a svelte or young woman but fitness is much more important than either of those. I bike, swim (a mile most days), hill walk once a week up to ten miles and 2,500 - 3,000 feet and manage easily whilst carrying a fair bit of extra weight.

Just as importantly, learn to board or ski coz YOU want to and not coz of your man and if, in the process you end up cocking a snook at his reservations (and maybe ability!), fantastic. If you feel he's going to be on a downer with you, consider going on a trip with a friend or as a single or even on a women's learner holiday (google, there are lots of them) and have fun learning without that competitive, testosterone fuelled edge being a factor. Not knocking you guys, my ex and my son were endlessly patient and kind with me - as was my daughter - but sometimes not having to live up to someone else's expectations or fulfilling their pessimistic views can help your confidence no end.

Hope this helps,
Aneira Little Angel
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rayscoops,
Quote:

just commenting on what I am reading between the lines

And who asked you to do that? There are times when trolling is neither pleasant nor helpful. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
the ice perv wrote:
I'd say the more natural padding the better!

Nice! hold that thought - and as a skier with a bit of extra padding in all the best places, I can vouch for its effectiveness! wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would strongly advise that you discuss this with your GP first. Being a size 22, any alpine sports will put severe strain on your knees and on your heart.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bar shaker, I think the doctor would be pleased she is considering taking up a sport !
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle wrote:
rayscoops,
Quote:

just commenting on what I am reading between the lines

And who asked you to do that? There are times when trolling is neither pleasant nor helpful. Twisted Evil

Every post I have made has been specific to the topic and to the points quoted below and I am not trolling, I suspect you are trolling now by cherry picking a few words from one specific post and using your sentiment and words - 'who asked you to do that' too

Nightingirl wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and there is one thing about Snowboarding that I have in mind. I really want to try it (I've never ski'd either - but I want to board). MY husband is crazy about it and wants to take me with him .... He tells me that because I am overweight (not just slightly) that I won't be able to board and that I need to lose weight first ...... Now I don't know any other boarders so I don't know if this is true. But, can "larger" people go snowboarding? ....... and I'm a 22! So, is he telling me the truth? Or is he wanting to go on lots of snowboarding holidays without me as an embarrassment? I would really apprecite your honesty on this one people. [/color] snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rayscoops,

I am not going to be popular but I am with you.

People should look at rayscoops's 1st post to see he first purely answered on the does "big" means "no boarding"question, with two very good points too (getting up and sporty vs couch potato).
And I agree that the OP wording can be ambiguous as to the attitude of the hubby. Well that's what I thought when first reading it. Looking back at it, looks like hubby's saying "would love to take you with me love, but you won't be able to board.." which is a cope out/lame excuse from where I sit...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Right then. I was on my new Blackberry last night and was struggling to use it and express myself properly so now I am going to reply properly

Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

Thinking about it, if hubby does not want you to board why learn?
Because hubby can sod off. What century are you living in?

Lizzard - The point I was making was that hubby does not want Nightingirl to learn to board until she has lost some weight first, which is exactly the same advice that I have seen given on snowheads many many times.

Butterfly wrote:
rayscoops wrote:
There are no short cuts and getting fitter first sounds like good advice actually
Sounds to me like getting the winter sports bug could be the drive to get fitter - I wasted too many years telling myself there were things I'd try "when I am thin". Well NO MORE. My advice to anyone is to go for whatever it is you want to do NOW. Tomorrow may be too late - you never know what life has in store.

Pam - We are not talking about getting down to a size 12, we are talking about getting down to a size 18 (or the corresponding weight), and i stand by my original comment

DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
rayscoops, bloody caveman !!!
DebbiDoesSnow – troll !
I have not said much different to this, albeit less eloquently
Aneira wrote:
Just as importantly, learn to board or ski coz YOU want to and not coz of your man and if, in the process you end up cocking a snook at his reservations (and maybe ability!), fantastic. If you feel he's going to be on a downer with you, consider going on a trip with a friend or as a single or even on a women's learner holiday (google, there are lots of them) and have fun learning without that competitive, testosterone fuelled edge being a factor. Not knocking you guys, my ex and my son were endlessly patient and kind with me - as was my daughter - but sometimes not having to live up to someone else's expectations or fulfilling their pessimistic views can help your confidence no end.:

RachelQ wrote:
Nightingirl wrote:
MY husband is crazy about it and wants to take me with him
rayscoops, there is your answer I think.

and she also said ….. ‘He tells me that because I am overweight (not just slightly) that I won't be able to board and that I need to lose weight first. So, is he telling me the truth? Or is he wanting to go on lots of snowboarding holidays without me as an embarrassment?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
red 27 wrote:
Nightingirl wrote:
can "larger" people go snowboarding? Confused

They are technically allowed to, but it's frowned upon

Frowned upon? Is there some sort of snowboard snobbery?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rayscoops, I stand by my comment (which was not meant in a trolling way). It was the tone of your posting. I know its difficult sometimes to come across correctly, but it screamed .... " Women cannot join in any fun that I have with my mates" which is an archaic and sexist way of looking at things especially when it concerns a sport that is fun whoever you go with.

I just think you focussed too much on the possible point of view of the BF that you have never met and not enough on the poster who was looking for (lets be honest) postive advice.

Are we still virtual friends ? xx

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 10-12-08 11:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nightingirl, he's one of these people who thinks everyone should be the 'right' size and dressed head to toe in the 'right' labels. I wouldn't worry about him. Laughing

It's true to say that fatties are under-represented on the mountain, probably because lots of physical effort in sub-zero temperatures = insta-weightloss. If you want to maintain your size you will have to eat a lot of fondue!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nightingirl, ignore me - just my silly joke... I like your sig - maybe a bit more love and a few less lollipops and the question will become moot!

Forget what size you are, who cares? You can do anything you choose to - go snowboarding and enjoy, it's going to be a vintage year! snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, i can speak from experience, I have started snowboarding while bodybuilding. I was 140kg (about 22stone) and very unfit. It was hard to find clothes in shops and place wiling to lend me a board. But I have managed just fine, like blizt says is down to mind, if you want to do, no doubt you can! Don't let anyone stop you having fun.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops wrote:
I just have a feeling this is a loaded question! So what is the reason for learning to board ? To tag along on hubbies lads trips? Or to take an extra boarding trip as a couple?

Hi Ray. I'm not offended by anything you have said so far. I get annoyed when he tells me I need to lose weight but you're right, he just wants me to get fitter so that I can enjoy the experience more. He hasn't been boarding since before he met me as work and lack of money/boarding buddies has got in the way. But now he's desperate to go and wants me to see why he's so passionate about it too. He thinks it's something fun we can do together. Also for us to have a different kind of holiday to the usual sunbathing types.

Getting fitter in a gym or something isn't something I'm fond of but if I have a goal (i.e - wanting to go snowboarding) it will give me that push and drive. I agree with the point that I should maybe take a few lessons at a snowdome first. I am definately going to book myself in for some of those.

So to answer your question (as I know I'm rambling on here as I often do!) my reason for wanting to learn to board is so that I can do something exciting, fun and new with my husband and share the experience with him that he loves so much. and if I love it as much as he does, great. If not... at least I've tried!

x
latest report
Thanks everyone!!!
You have helped clear this up alot. And I won't go saying to my husband "People have told me that it's ok to go boarding despite my weight so I'm coming!" I'm just gonna take a few secret lessons at the dome and then ask him to book that trip he's been going on about for the past few years! I can't wait to get started!!
Yey!

x
snow conditions
Nightingirl, good for you, its a whole differnt experience from beach holidays ! I actually prefer my winter holidays to summer ones
ski holidays
At beginner level learning to ski is less taxing on the body than learning to board. If you find the boarding isnt for you try the skis instead.
snow report
Quote:

At beginner level learning to ski is less taxing on the body than learning to board. If you find the boarding isnt for you try the skis instead.

Despite my comments above I absolutely agree that skiing is less taxing on the body than learning to board, for various reasons. Partly because of much more frequent and harder falls on a board, partly because lifts are more challenging, partly because it's such a hassle getting round on the flat. But just from the point of view of getting up when you've fallen down, a board (up onto the front edge) is a far easier proposition. Even skinny people feel like stranded whales when they fall down on skis, especially on the flattish terrain where beginners are going to spend their time.
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:

It's true to say that fatties are under-represented on the mountain, probably because lots of physical effort in sub-zero temperatures = insta-weightloss. If you want to maintain your size you will have to eat a lot of fondue!

Maybe hubby is worried that she won't be able to maintain her size. Slimmed down & confident in a resort with around 10:1 males to females. Perhaps hubby is thinking that he's made a major strategic error. wink
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow, I have re-read my post and I do not think it came over as you suggest, the problem that I saw was that the girls on here were taking the view that Nightingirl should learn from a ‘girl power’ thing rather than a genuine boarding issue – sexism is not just a male domain !. Would you encourage a girlfriend who is a size 22 to learn to board or would you encourage her to drop a few stone and then learn to board, or more to the point would you would invite a girl friend who is a size 22 to come on an expensivre snowboarding holiday with you to learn to board knowing that she will in all likely hood be completely foocked after the first day and may well never try it again. And yes we are still cyber buddies Very Happy

Nightingirl, I am glad you have not taken offence and none was meant, but I sensed that a lot of the replies had been a bit like ‘you go girl, give it a try’ and seemed to be more from a ‘sisterhood’ point of view rather than a basic and realistic 'snowboarding' point of view. You asked for an honest answer and I will try to provide that, but this is my honest opinion based on snowboarding facts and not based upon any thing else

Lizzard made this point ‘You might have difficulty finding a suitable board - if you're heavier than average it might be hard to find one in a short enough length’. Basically the size of board that you will need will depend largely on your weight and I have no idea how heavy you are (a size 22 ?) but the table on his site http://www.snowboardsusa.com/html/snowboardsizeguide.html suggests someone 16 stone should be on a board well over 160 cm long - I doubt most women on snowheads ride any board bigger than a 155 and generally will ride something in the range of a 150 - 155 (except pixies who will be on a 147 wink ). In simple terms you will find it nearly impossible to find a board that suits both your physique and your status as a 'learner' - it is easier to learn on a smaller board than a larger board but (as a generalisation) the heavier you are the larger the board you will need

A point has also been made to try boarding in a snowdome but only an hour or so and not a 'learn in a day'. This point is also relevant to learning at a ski resort, because I doubt you will be able to effectively spend more than one or two hours a day sliding on the mountain without being physivcaly shattered and in pain whilst you learn to board.

If you are thinking of boarding to spend time with hubby on holiday then think again because you will not be boarding with him, you will be on a learners slope and he will be miles away buzzing around the mountain. if you are happy with this then fine, take a trip with him and be prepared to mix with other learners. the best thing you could do would be to learn with a friend who has similarly not boarded and forget about 'boarding with hubby' and think more of 'having a holiday' with hubby whilst you learn and he does his own thing during the day. Also boarding is done at altitude and to be honest I am out of puff when climbing stairs or having to walk up hill at 3000m because of the thin air, and I suspect you will find this very difficult indeed.

If I had a girl mate who was a size 22 (or a male friend for that matter of a comparable size) I would not encourage them to learn to snowboard because I feel that the process of falling and getting up maybe 20, 30 or 50 times in the first few hours would simply be too much for them take, especially at altitude and/or on hard packed or icy conditions. Most people when learning to board have a tendency to put out their arms to break their fall and invariable the only thing they break is their wrist, the bigger the person the more chance that this will occur. Add to this the fact that each morning they will be aching so much they will hardly be able to get out of bed and the idea of consistently getting up of the floor the next day for someone fit and not over weight is a tough proposition, so for you it is likely to be very difficult and perhaps even dangerous. I would seriously advise you to slim down as much as you can (even though you are happy with your size) otherwise the boarding experience is more likely to be a bad one rather than a good one.

I personally think your hubby is right, but maybe by starting to board in advance will provide you with the urge to become a bit fitter and when you do actually take a boarding holiday with him you will be more prepared for the rigours that lie ahead.

Good luck
snow report
Might be a good idea to start off with some form of step-in bindings too - one less thing to be bothered with.
ski holidays
rayscoops, I think you make some very well-informed points.
snow conditions
Jagerbull wrote:
Might be a good idea to start off with some form of step-in bindings too - one less thing to be bothered with.

Maybe start with skiing? Although I've not spent any significant time on a board it looks like the first week or so is a bit more arduous than being on two planks. No problem with husband being a boarder and wife being a skier, so if a lack of fitness is going to make learning to board too much of a challenge maybe skiing is is a good compromise?
snow conditions
Thanks Rayscoops.

I shall take your advice on board. I think you're right about not doing it all in a day and go for a couple of hours at a time. There is a snowdome not so far away from me where I think this is possible.

I am also happy for me and my hubby to holiday together and then go off and do our own thing for the day. Just to see him happy will make me happy because he deserves this trip so much. I'm used to us doing our own thing anyway and I'm outgoing enough to get along happily with a group of other learners. In fact, I would really enjoy meeting new people.

And as per what Lager said:

Quote:

Maybe hubby is worried that she won't be able to maintain her size. Slimmed down & confident in a resort with around 10:1 males to females. Perhaps hubby is thinking that he's made a major strategic error.

I like your thinking.... maybe there'll be some hot beginners out there so I can make him jealous and bye bye to the fat comments! Smile

But again, in all honesty, I know it's about fitness. I had better get myself booked in the gym fast! And a few lessons at the dome too.

So, Rayscoops, what is your tip for my first step in preparing for my first boarding holiday?

x
ski holidays
Nightingirl wrote:
So, Rayscoops, what is your tip for my first step in preparing for my first boarding holiday? x[/color]

get some padded shorts and a tube of Deep Heat wink
latest report
rayscoops, much better !

I agree with the lose some weight issue, but sometimes a goal is an incentive in itself to lose a few extra pounds. And trying for an hour or 2 may hit home that yeah this is cool and I enjoy it but if I lost a bit I can enjoy it more.

I think anyone who is a bit overwieght should be encouraged not have obstacles thrown in the way if they have decided they want to take up a sport.

Nightingirl, not sure how you feel about swimming but that is a nice gentle way to start improving your health and stamina.
snow report
Last year my mate brought his girlfriend along to Andorra. She had never skied before and was prob a 16-18. She did some light exercise before the trip, but not much. She started lessons but gave up half way through the second day as her knees where aching. She didn't go near the snow for the rest of the week and gave my mate a, perhaps unintentional, bad time because she was then on her own. As a result he stopped learning to board on day 3 and spent the rest on the week with her, in the bar, playing Monopoly and Cluedo.

The girlfriend is a trainee midwife and couldn't contribute to the holiday and came because she wanted to try it with her bloke. He had spent 2x £160 on lift passes, 2x £150 on lessons, 2x £80 on gear hire all of which was virtually wasted. The cost of the holiday was about the same again, but he didn't consider that wasted money.

She has vowed never to go near a mountain again and he has vowed to go boarding without this year.

Had she got fit, not lost 8 stone, but just got fitter, she might have stood a chance and they might have something that they could do together. As it is, they both had such a miserable time that I doubt they will ever have another winter holiday together. This year wants to come to La Plagne but is getting massive grief over it.

My advise is get yourself to a fitness level that you can run over half a mile, or walk up 10 flights of stairs or ride a bike quite hard for over an hour, before you commit to going up a mountain. We all make life style choices and its clear that you are happy with your weight. This is a very good thing and some people are never happy at any weight so are a lucky person. That said, you should not consider that you can safely do what people half your weight can do. I say safely as you can go into it with all the determination that you can muster but injury and fatigue are very dangerous things on a mountain.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nightingirl, learning to board means falling over ALL the time, and often quite violently. The process of getting back onto one's feet is exhausting and you should not underestimate how totally knackering it can be, even for fit people. Add to that the extra forces that your weight would put on your wrists etc when falling and the chance of a break would be greatly increase IMHO. Wrist protectors would be a must. I am an old fatty and can now ski. Learning to board would now kill me.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, You're just an indolent juvenile rolling eyes
snow report
bar shaker, interesting story...

As any fule kno, skiing and boarding are hard to learn and you need to really 'want it' to push through those 3rd day blues when everything hurtz and you're cold and tired and, if you went to Les Gets, it's raining. Combine that with one of those negative relationships where instead of both people pursuing their own interests, both people give up their own interests - dilution instead of addition - and it's a recipe for disaster.
ski holidays
Masque, I had to hire a 17 tonne tracked excavtor, the shovel was no good to dig my self out of the hole was getting in to !! Little Angel Laughing
latest report
Bar_shaker I think that's what my husband is worried about. But I would never stop him doing what he wanted to do. We have that kind of relationship where we do our own thing all the time. So it's not something I am personally worried about. I have been encouraging him for years to just go off on his own but things have always stopped him. I'm encouraging him again to go this new year and not to let anything hold him back. I personally want to get myself ready and prepared for this as I know I'll be in the beginner classes while he's speeding down the mountain and I know that it's going to hurt like f*ck and I'll probably cry and want to go home. But there is no way I will spend that much money to go an play cluedo in the bar. and no way I would ever make him do that with me.

Sounds like your friend had a miserable experience. I don't intend to do that to my husband. If I go and don't like it, it's my problem and I won't spoil his enjoyment because of it.

Like many people have been telling me, I could always try skiing?! Smile

Now I just have to convince him that I won't be a burden to him.

Thanks for pointing this out.
snow report
Masque, juvenile- mentally.......yes. Indolent - Well I am generally a first lift to last lift man
snow conditions
Just to cover all bases, if you get out there and discover it's not for you, do not worry, there are lots of patisserie's in the alps
snow report
Quote:

The process of getting back onto one's feet is exhausting

Not as exhausting as the process of smacking yourself onto the snow in the first place and getting all the breath knocked out of you and imprint of your car keys on your ribs. I think there are lots of really good points made above, and I wouldn't encourage anyone who is not fairly fit to have a go at snowboarding. But "getting back onto one's feet" is really, really, really, not remotely exhausting on a snowboard, provided you do it the easy way.

Everything else is, though...... wink

and how does nightingirl make her posts blue?
ski holidays
pam w, try cutting and pasting in to Word or 'quoting' as a reply and all is revealed, or

by making a rude joke wink

edit - it depends when one is getting back on to one's feet, so ......... the process of getting back onto one's feet is exhausting especially after smacking yourself onto the snow in the first place and getting all the breath knocked out of you and imprint of your car keys on your ribs ...... is another take on it wink
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow,
Quote:

I just think you focussed too much on the possible point of view of the BF that you have never met and not enough on the poster who was looking for (lets be honest) postive advice.

FWIW, that exactly expresses what I thought when I posted the rather too offhand comment that I did. The tone of my post wasn't great either, sorry rayscoops.
snow report
Nightingirl,
I tried to be objective, positive and encouraging in my earlier post and all that still stands. None of my business, save insofar as you have posted your thoughts and views, but it may be a factor in your concerns and desires that you say you have to convince Mr. N that you won't be a burden in the same breath as saying how you never are. There have been a lot of helpful comments posted in this thread and perhaps I was wrong to suggest you went for boarding so that you don't get stuck in the skiing mindset. I have thoroughly enjoyed many skiing/boarding hols with family and friends pootling about on my own or in a different group for some of the time and still meeting up for lunch and breaks. If you are not fit you won't get the best out of yourself or out of your holiday and you may put yourself off by concluding that you can't do it at all rather than just needing to get fitter. Have lessons at a snowdome or on an artificial slope by all means but that won't compensate for lack of fitness and may even end up putting you off before you get there! Just lugging skis, boards etc about is an effort if you are unfit. Swimming and walking are great ways to improve and Body Pump is so much fun and very motivational. If you lack confidence coz of your perception of yourself physically, believe me, gym goers come in all shapes and sizes and I've never found anyone who gives a stuff about how anyone looks or initially struggles. Go for this but don't think a few lessons on a slope will solve all - although they may give you the impetus to improve your fitness levels! And please don't anyone shoot me but have you chatted to Mr. N about all of this, it's a joint (ad)venture! Toofy Grin
I hope this reaches you as it is intended, with positive thoughts,
Aneira
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

The process of getting back onto one's feet is exhausting

Not as exhausting as the process of smacking yourself onto the snow in the first place and getting all the breath knocked out of you and imprint of your car keys on your ribs. I think there are lots of really good points made above, and I wouldn't encourage anyone who is not fairly fit to have a go at snowboarding. But "getting back onto one's feet" is really, really, really, not remotely exhausting on a snowboard, provided you do it the easy way.

Everything else is, though...... wink

and how does nightingirl make her posts blue?

Well.. Preview your post, Highlight text you want to change and at the top there is a drop down list of colours, sizes etc...

x
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy