Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche kit - buy - rent or...

Poster: A snowHead
I'll be doing 8 weeks in Les arcs this coming season, towards the end of last, started venturing much further off piste (with experienced groups). I know I need to get 'the kit' for this season. I haven't a clue what I really need, nor how to use it once I have it. I know there are training courses at Les Arcs, I'll do one of these, but the question is 'What do I need to 'obtain', and am I better of buying in the UK, in France (say BSM) or hire. Any reference to makes, or whatever would be appreciated.

Allan
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Transceiver, shovel and probe would normally be seen as the minimum off-piste safety kit. For a couple of months skiing you will almost be certainly better off buying rather than renting. Plenty of independent reviews of transceivers (and backcountry info generally) at www.pistehors.com
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't forget the rucksack to put them in wink You may wish to consider an ABS sack whilst you're at it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
yu really need all three- thta is a transciever, a probe and a shovel.

Also some knowlage- a book or two, some time o read them, some experience and some teaching....

try 'Staying alive in avalance terrain'

as to transcievers lots of reviews are different.....

I think thta ease of use is probably really important for somebdy such as myself- who doesn't ski much mor ethan 3 weeks a year and who has never used one in anger.

Apparantly you are very unlkley to find a live person with a transciever- but exceptionally unlikelyt o find one without a transciever, a shovel and a probe.

Read about eceverything- from terrain, decision making about risk, snow, searching and even digging.
then practice in an avalanche park.

oh ad take a spare set of batteries.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
allanm,

Buy a of probe of minimum 230cm, an aluminium shovel (shaft and blade) and digital tranceiver (whilst many people will rcommend analogues as being easier and reliable to use the major safety organisations are now recommending you buy digital). Opinions are divided and prices vary, the BCA tracker is good value and relatively simple to use, the Mammut Pulse is the most advanced and very user friendly but has a hefty price tag. Combine that with a course in avalanche safety and tranceiver training and you'll be off to a good start.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all for your input, I'm out on the 19th so time is of the essence, think I'll order a 'BCA tracker', seems to fit the bill and not too expensive (rob@rar bear in mind I have a dare2be jacket Sad ) I realise that this is the easy bit, knowing / learning how to use it may be em... slightly be more difficult.
Thanks..
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
allanm, The tracker is I think a good choice for the novice as I found it fairly intuitive - most people with kit should be willing to do a bit of practice with you to keep their skills sharp - after all you might be the one they are relying on to dig them out!

There isn't a lot of science to the digging and probing bit although there are a few tricks, just make sure you try digging in the hardest snow you can find or any natural avy debris to get an idea how hard it will be.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob wrote:
There isn't a lot of science to the digging and probing bit

I'm not sure I agree with that. People have been killed by the rescuers trampling their airspace.

This is a good read.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
This is a good deal on tracker/probe/shovel. With upgrade to BD Lynx metal shovel and 240cm probe, comes in at €235.

http://www.bergzeit.de/bca-tracker-lvs-set.html
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian, Thanks for that, I've mailed them to see if they'll deliver to my digs in Nancroise, if they can't to the UK within a week.

Some good reading pointed out, Thanks.
Allan
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Guides will often suggest a practice session with the transcievers - or if not you can prompt them and they will be very glad to do it.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
allanm, Get yourself to one of Henrys Avalanche Talks - I believe they run them in Les Arcs now too - if not, haul your backside up the valley one evening. They are very good, and the guys will also be able to arrange further training for you.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you haven't already got or ordered a rucksack make sure it has straps to attach your skis on it when you need to scramble up something (happens quite often with guides).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nobody actually answered about renting. Although guides will often lend or rent a certain amount of kit I don't think shops rent it out. If you need a climbing harness (mostly for glacier skiing so you could be rescued from a crevasse, but also very occasionally for a very steep, exposed couloir entry) the guide will certainly lend you one.
The SCGB does have a limited scheme of renting out transceivers from England, but it is only for members.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Guvnor wrote:
Get yourself to one of Henrys Avalanche Talks - I believe they run them in Les Arcs now too -

That would be good, but I can't see any info about that on their website. Do you have any details?
ski holidays
rob@rar, I'll double check - I am meeting with one of the speakers on Saturday
ski holidays
allanm wrote:
I'll be doing 8 weeks in Les arcs this coming season, towards the end of last, started venturing much further off piste (with experienced groups). I know I need to get 'the kit' for this season. I haven't a clue what I really need, nor how to use it once I have it. I know there are training courses at Les Arcs, I'll do one of these, but the question is 'What do I need to 'obtain', and am I better of buying in the UK, in France (say BSM) or hire. Any reference to makes, or whatever would be appreciated.

Allan

I'm in the same boat, I have got the wife to get me a shovel,probe and rucksack for xmas pressy and I am looking to rent transceiver as I sure the Instructors supply these as part of the lesson. not sure the guides supply Razz
latest report
Guides usually have a few - but best to ask in advance to make sure they bring them along - guides carry a lot of other kit usually.
snow conditions
peteski, Can't ask the wife I'm afraid - I chose skiing Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy